Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: berdoo camp

Talking berdoo camp

Hello all ,I just wanted to give the ones that are interested in traveling to a ghost town near indio, california that berdoo camp is still intacked and a very cool place to visit, I know for a fact that no 2wd could make the trip we had a hard time making it with our 4wd! but the place is pretty vandalized but it still stirred up alot of curiosity, and the views were breathtaking, many of the structures are still up, but lots of concrete slabs, and I know it's bad to vandalize these places, but some of the art that was done on the side of these building were very intersting, We took our kids and we had a ball, I do have some pics, I will post soon the trail up to camp berdoo is damaged due to flooding and the "road" is kindof sinking in some spots, very spooky going up the side of the mountain! But well worth the trip!

Berdoo Camp was quite a settlement built to house the workers building the underground (in that area) aqueduct to bring Colorado River water to L.A. I have photos (somewhere!) of Berdoo Camp in its heyday....it even had a hospital with x-ray equipment. I've been there a few times as well.

JOHN

John,

I am very interested in Berdoo Camp. I have been looking for pics of the camp in it's hey day. Can you post or PM me copies of yours?

Gary

Hi, Gary! I'll certainly try to find the pictures when I get back to the office!

JOHN

John,

Thanks. I have also been in contact with MWD and have 2 disks of pics from them. I am happy to share them with you if your interested.

Gary

Gary, just curious how you were able to get the MWD to cough up the disc? The only photo I have of Berdoo Camp would be a scan of a photocopy from a book titled 'Colorado River Aqueduct' put out by MWD in 1939.

~Dan

Dan,

I just got a hold of the MWD Archivist and asked him what they had on the camp. He asked why I was interested and I explained that a group of us do some conservation work when we go there. He told me what they had, 2 Ansel Adams works, several images from year books and a map showing the work camps for the project. He offered to scan the images to disc and send then to me. He explained as a public agency they could not accept payment for "public records" and so refused my offer to pay for the discs and postage. I believe the key was my explanation that we make it better that we found it and that as a fellow historian we had a common interest in the camp at it's hey day.

Gary

Thanks for the reply Gary. Looks like you went directly to the right source! I will have to wait a few weeks and try my hand at it!

Just curious, what all do you guys do out there? I live about 30 min from the camp, so I am just curious.

~Dan

Dan,

We camp and shoot. We shoot at targets across the gourge, repeat across the gourge, from Berdoo Camp. We pick up trash left by knuckle heads who think the world is their toilet and sadly watch the slow decay caused by nature and the quick decay caused by idiots.

Gary

Rgr that. Every year that goes by there is less and less remaining and more and more trash.

~Dan

Thread Information