Thread: Spanish Fort, Texas

Default Spanish Fort, Texas

I read with interest the submission by Henry Chenoweth on the history of Spanish Fort, Texas.

I have driven to that area several years ago but could not figure out the exact location of the town.
    After the civil war my Gr Grandfather had a still set up right across the river in Indian territory. That is the area I was looking for and could not find.

I would be very interested if someone could show me, or Mr. Chenoweth could call me, and my history class exactly where the fort was in connection to the river crossing. At the time I looked the roads were not marked well.

Below is a pic of the Spanish Fort Hotel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Catniip; 01-13-2006 at 04:53 PM. Reason: to name pic

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Catnip: Been there, done that. Google it, GNIS it and Topozone it, and you'll have the picture. OJ

Catnip, I live in the Spanish Fort area and will be glad to help anytime. Unfortunately, the last of the old settlers passed away in December. There is only one individual of that age living in Spanish Fort now, so much of the history is now gone. There are a few of us (60-65 yr. olds) left that can remember quite a lot. I helped write a history book in 1988 that featured writings of many of the individuals that are now gone. I know of three ferrys that were operating at one time around Spanish Fort. I can take someone to the location of two of those. I also know of the location of the two forts located in that area. Let me know if I can help. wr

I would be interested in some history from someone who lives in Spanish Fort. I was just there yesterday. My grandfather was born and raised there. His father was born in Missouri in 1881 and moved there as a baby with his parents. My great grandfather (along with all of his siblings) and great great grandparents are buried in the old cemetery in Spanish Fort.

I know what you're talking about, whogoose; most of my ancestors on my father's side of the family came from Spanish Fort. My great-grandparents are in the old Spanish Fort Cemetery, along with several other relatives. I'm going to make a trip to the old place this summer.

Default Spanish Fort

I have a lot of information on Spanish Fort that I could share. I know the location of the Fort that the Spanish attacked in 1759. This fort is located on the Oklahoma side of the river. I also know the location of a second fort that was located on the Texas side at Spanish Fort. I am familiar with the history of the town from that time until present. I grew up in Spanish Fort in the 1950's and lived in the area until graduation from school. In 1987 the historical commission asked me to write an article about Spanish Fort for a publication on Montague County's History. I realized, at that time, how little factual information, about the town's history, I knew. I began a search for a factual history of Spanish Fort and believe that I have the proper documentation. Part of that learning process included helping existing residents write a book "The history of Spanish Fort" in 1988. I would be glad to help anyone with questions regarding Spanish Fort. Please feel free to email me.
    w.r.t@esc9.net

Thread Information