Thread: old nevada mining companies

Question old nevada mining companies

hi,
    i'm italian, my grandfather lived for 13 years in USA as an emigrant in the first years of 1900. He worked as a miner in Nevada Unionville, does anibody knows a mining company called Sussex (or similar name?) in that area?
    Very sorry for my english!!
    Thanks for any help!
    Laura

Cool Unionville

unable to help you with the name of the mining company, however Unionville is located about 15 miles south of the present day Mill City Nevada. Last I heard there was a small population living in the town which has the remains of the original adobe brewery and a cemetery. to find on a U.S. map look south of the intersections of hwy-80 and hwy-400 intersection. follow hwy-400 south approx. 15 miles, then West.

you may try a search for the nearest musuem or historical society for information on the mining company. good luck
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Default Unionville

Sorry, forgot to mention that the largest and most popular mine supporting that town was the Buena Vista Mine. although there were other mines in the area by the names of; Congress Canyon Mine, Marigold Mine, Henning Mine, Millionaire Mine, Arizona Mine, Inskip Mine and the Black Warrior Mine. hope this might help you in your research.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Wink Old Mines In Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by pink67
    hi,
    i'm italian, my grandfather lived for 13 years in USA as an emigrant in the first years of 1900. He worked as a miner in Nevada Unionville, does anibody knows a mining company called Sussex (or similar name?) in that area?
    Very sorry for my english!!
    Thanks for any help!
    Laura
    Laura, Another Bob, who usually checks in everyday, may have something more to add to the interesting information that our fellow ghosttowners have already posted. Bob, allways helps us in the past with many burning questions about his great state of Nevada.

Johnnie & Sheila

Default I don't have much to add.

I am aware of English money being funneled into Nevada Mining but a company named Sussex in Unionville didn't ring a bell. I suspect Laura has already tried the 1910 Census and I will try a couple other sources when I have time. Laura request is pretty specific, I could rattle on about Unionville. Perhaps the name her grandfather used whilst over here might appear in a archive somewhere but if he wasn't injured in an accident, took a lead part of a labor movement, or committed a serious crime, it is doubtful he would be mentioned by name. If he took a wife, had children, or died while here there would be a easy record but from Laura's post, I didn't get any indication her Grandfather did such things. So many of those who came over here at the turn of century returned to Europe during the time of the great War (WWI) for reason of patriotism to concern for family. Hopefully if we keep this thread alive and near the top of the list, someone will be able to offer so good information.
    Yet Another Bob

THANK YOU ALL very much for your help!!
    My grandfather came in USA in 1912 and came back to Italy in 1925/1926, unfortunately he died in 1968, I was a little baby at that time, so i havent' had the possibility to ask him of his life as emigrant...
    I know he was in California, (Calistoga, St. Helena, Floriston) because he left us lots of receipts of money he sent to his family in Italy where is the address of his home (only the city, or the p.o. box). But I know he was for a long period in Nevada (by the stories of my grandmother) and he worked as a miner....
    The name on the company "Suxxet" is on a postcard that he received from a friend, addressed to him : Mr. J. Nicolini - Suxxet Mining Co. (maybe Sunset??) Unionville - Nevada . The postmark says December 1920....
    I asked in other forums of genealogy to know if he was listed in census but nobody found him, the only track was found is a registration card for the first world war (June 1917)...
    I am interested in this questions because I hope one day to visit the places where he lived...
    Thank to you all and excuse me for my bad english...

Thread Information