Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Idaho

Default Pearl Idaho

Many years ago, at least 10, I was lucky enough to see Pearl, Idaho. Sadly at the time I did not bring a camera. There were many buildings still standing and two mines right in the center of the town. I had heard there was an old cemetery but my friends and I were never able to locate it. Does anyone know if the town is still standing? A friend of mine had heard that some of the buildings had burned or were burned down because they were dangerous. It was a tiny town but still would be ashame if it was all gone. Thanks!

-Raven

dvsww2 Guest

Default Pearl

Most of the buildings were burnt to the ground a couple of years ago and the only house standing is the Burkhart house. It's a shame as the buildings were a favorite for people to photograph. Reason given was that the owners were affraid that they would fall on someone and it was also a place for under-age keggers. Now a local realestate agent has the 23 acre townsite for sale and it has 3 mines I'm not sure when they tore the mill down as it was accross the road from the main tunnel and they had a homemade traffic light to stop people when the pushed the ore carts into the mill. It was running on and off in the mid-60's. I went to school with Larry Burkhart, now deceased and got to know his Dad, Joe (Hardrock) Burkhart. He worked the claims around Pearl and was a watchman for the mining company and Idaho Power. Quite a character.

Default Pearl

Pearl was the first Ghost Town I ever visited, I was probably 10 when my folks first took us there and i've been hooked on ghost towns ever since. I remember there being a building containing a huge old air compresser, and boxes full of ore core samples. The buildings were in fairly decent shape, as I remember. I went back in there again with a college buddy probably around 96, the buildings were pretty much flattened by cattle by then. I was sad to hear that they burned the buildings down, but there really wasn't much left.

Does anyone have photos, stories, general information etc. having to do with Pearl? I'm trying to gather information on some of the more obscure Ghost Towns in Southern Idaho (Pearl, Mineral, Seven Devils Area, Marshall Lake, etc.) as there seems to be a lack of information on some of these places.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

You've probably already seen this from Ghosttowns.com, but in case you haven't here's the link. There's not much info to be found on the internet that I can find, but maybe with more extensive online searching and cross referencing you'll have some success.

dvsww2 Guest

Default Pearl

I'm in Emmett now caring for my Mom's House and we get the Messenger Index, local paper and on Sunday's we get the Idaho Press Tribune with "The Wrap" with local history and stuff. The 9/10/2006 wrap had a reprint of an earlier article back in the 1950's on Pearl. Looks like the heyday was from 1897-1906. I da't know whether the Messenger would have any back copies or not. Probably the best overall work on Idaho ghostowns is "Southern Idaho Ghosttowns" by Wayne Sparling, Caxton Printers, Caldwell, ID 1974 I'm guessing it is long out of print, and probably the best bet is Caxton's in Caldwell, or the Yesteryear Shoppe in Nampa that specializes in Idaho books. The bad thing is that the glue used in the binding wasn't very good and the books fall apart. I have the Sparling book and one by Huntley on Ferry Boats on the Snake and both have the same problem and are out of the same era and series. I guess one of these days I need to take the pieces into a bindery and get the book rebound. More info on a lot of obscure camps than anyplace, and some of them there was not much in 1974, and a lot less now.

Thanks for the info guys!

dvsww2 - nice to see a fellow Idahoan in here! Seems like almost everybody is from Cali/New Mexico/Arizona...

I actually have a copy of Southern Idaho Ghosttowns, I picked it up in McCall about a year ago, I believe it's back in print if yours needs replacing. I'll have to check with the Press Tribune & see if I can't get a copy of that article.

I managed to dig up a little info on Pearl, here are a couple links for anyone interested:

Detailed info on Pearl Cemetery
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~idgem/cemetery.htm#may

Brief history of Pearl
    http://www.idahohistory.net/Reference%20Series/0211.pdf

Brief History/List of Pearl postmasters (scroll down)
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~idgem/history.htm

Tom

Default Pearl Idaho

I live in Emmett. There is nothing left of Pearl Idaho except the Burkcart (sp) place. It's still dirt road all the way from Emmett to the Horseshoebend highway. I used to love to go there. I remember the hotel. It seemed so small. When I was younger I seen pictures of Pearl in it's day. I have no idea how they fit so many people in that town. Several thousand if I remember right. Just before coming down into Emmett there is a sign at the monument about Pearl. If anyone wants to see it let me know and I'll email you a picture of it.

Dixie

Dixie -

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, I would love to see any photos of/relating to Pearl, ID that you might have... I am trying to gather information on some of Idaho's more obscure ghost towns because they seem to be disappearing fast and there's not much information on most of them.

If you want to send via snail mail let me know & I can pay for postage... otherwise, my email address is thomas.a.butler at gmail dot com.

Thanks Dixie! It's good to see another Idahoan on here!

Tom

Default Peal Pictures

Here are some pictures I took about five years ago in Pearl:

http://flickr.com/photos/8066198@N04...7600162460718/

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Looks good too....
    I was just tellin' eastbay, you can submit these pics to the webmaster, to update status of Pearl.

Somebody left the "L" off on the Idaho web page, so Pearl is listed as "Pear"

Todd, how about jumping right on that. Don't make me have to come to Phoenix. I'm using my travel budget on SF already.

Thread Information