Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost town in Black Hills, SD

Default Ghost town in Black Hills, SD

Do any of ya'll have any information regarding a certain ghost town in the Black Hills of SD which is close to Mt. Rushmore and has the home of Jesse James still standing. I was watching a documentary on Ghost towns and they showed a photo of what was supposed to be Jesse James's home. Do you know the name of this town and where it is located?

Also in the Black Hills of SD, they mentioned a ghost town that has a stockade. Supposedly, the first woman settler of SD lived in this stockade. However, the government ran them out of the place. The video didn't mention the name or location of this place either except that it wasn't too far from Mt. Rushmore.

Thanks for any info I can get. I'm planning on spending a week or so in SD this summer and I want to photo as many ghost towns as possible.

Hi, I'm a historic researcher and tour guide in the Black Hills S.D. Annie Tallent is the lady you refer to. She was said to be the first white teacher in the hills, however she was here illigally and was removed, only to come back as soon as the hills were open to the public. Against the 1868 treaty.
    As far as Jesse James having a home here I am sorry I don't know of it. I can tell you that many a famous outlaw among others have been in Deadwood and the surrounding areas.Including Jesse.
    The location of the stockade was Custer, S.D.

Default jesse james home

hi, i'm janet, i live close to jesse james home, please contact me for info.

contact janet for info. on jesse james

Default ghost towner

hi, contact me for info. on jesse james hiome

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Talking

Janet: How about posting that info? OJ

Default Stupid Answer to a PM

I just saw where Janet got her question on Jesse James she sent me in a PM.

I feel foolish with my answer. The ONLY Jesse James I know of here in Nevada was the 'wild' daughter of Harry James and Betty Grable. She grew up with her prude sister Victoria and her mom near the southwest corner of Pecos and Sunset. I rambled on about the house no longer being there. Sorry Janet, wrong Jesse James
    Yet Another Bob

5 months out of the year, I explore the West

All that information is in my book, Ghost Towns and Other Historical Sites of the Black Hills, available at bar4916@yahoo.com. this book will be premiering April 8th.

Also check out current events listed for April 8th in St. Louis, Missouri in this web site.

But the answer to your question is Gordon Stockade. The complete history of it, site and a photo of it is in my book.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    I just saw where Janet got her question on Jesse James she sent me in a PM.

I feel foolish with my answer. The ONLY Jesse James I know of here in Nevada was the 'wild' daughter of Harry James and Betty Grable. She grew up with her prude sister Victoria and her mom near the southwest corner of Pecos and Sunset. I
    rambled on about the house no longer being there. Sorry Janet, wrong Jesse James

Don't feel bad Bob, every time I hear/see about a Jesse James, I have to stop and think if they mean the "wild west outlaw" or the guy who builds choppers

It's easy for me to remember the Dalton's though, my Uncle is supposed to be related to them. But I jokingly wonder if it's the same relation way in that my Dad is related to Brigham Young

Default South Dakota Ghost Towns

I have a new book out listing 246 Ghost Towns in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Email me for more information at: pickarockbob@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Don't feel bad Bob, every time I hear/see about a Jesse James, I have to stop and think if they mean the "wild west outlaw" or the guy who builds choppers

It's easy for me to remember the Dalton's though, my Uncle is supposed to be related to them. But I jokingly wonder if it's the same relation way in that my Dad is related to Brigham Young

Thread Information