Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Ghost Towns

Might try http://www.lostdestinations.com/ .
    They explore nearly everything.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70Ranger View Post
    Might try http://www.lostdestinations.com/ .
    They explore nearly everything.

They did until November 2006, anyway. Then they became a lost destination

amazing, that after 25 pages of posts, I find maybe 4-5 interesting stories ON TOPIC, and the other 24 pages of "I carry lots of guns" horsecrap (I carry, too, but that's not what the thread is supposedly about)

Quote Originally Posted by roadcam View Post
    amazing, that after 25 pages of posts, I find maybe 4-5 interesting stories ON TOPIC, and the other 24 pages of "I carry lots of guns" horsecrap (I carry, too, but that's not what the thread is supposedly about)
    Maybe there weren't anymore stories so the topic was changed.
    Coodinator Oregon Chapter of 4x4him.org
    Member of Handgunhunt.com
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    wheelersforthewounded.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    If you don't like logging then try using plastic toilet
    paper.
    Exploring Oregon in a Jeep
    Tread Lightly
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by roadcam View Post
    Check the number of posts,compared to your 5 posts........ Any clues ?

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70Ranger View Post
    Check the number of posts,compared to your 5 posts........ Any clues ?
    ---
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    paper.
    Tread Lightly
    <><

Default Funny

Everyone knows we are always on track. Which track is yet to be decided

That's why I have a GPS, but it doesn't seem to work when I'm on here!
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    paper.
    Tread Lightly
    <><

I too have experienced two scary events in the wilderness. My first scary story begins in the High Uintah Mountains, located in the north eastern part of Utah… near a primitive area, and coincidentally my first ghost town discovery of the still standing town of Blacks Fork.

Me and my wife were young then (back in the 70’s), and not real savvy yet as to how to protect ourselves from the dangers of the wilds. We did know there were things out there that could hurt us, but thought little about it until this night. We were also poor then and could not afford the luxuries of a trailer, so we made do with a tent… in some ways I miss those good-old-days. Anyway, it was late on about our third night out, and we were all snuggled into our two man sleeping bag and fast asleep… well I was until… I got the rib poke from my wife. You know that poke she does with her elbow into your ribs and says, “Honey there is something out there”. Well us “tough men” don’t worry too much about little noises in the night, so I said something like, “it’s probably a mouse rummaging around, go back to sleep”, which I did is short order. The next sharp painful poke to my ribs, ripped me right out of my sleep. This time in a loud demanding whisper she said, “HONEY, GET UP, THERE IS SOMETHING BIG OUT THERE!” Now like any guy I knew it was nothing, so I was a little aggravated at the whole thing, but I listened this time to at least prove her wrong… THEN I HEARD IT!!! If you have been in the mountains much, you know the difference between a twig snap, and the clunk of a branch braking… the latter is what I heard! Now my skin is crawling and I feel that familiar cold rush of fear come over me. This is a big animal… I’m thinking to myself, nothing small could have broken such a branch. As quietly as I could, I found the flashlight and carefully unzipped the tent door. I peeked out and pointed the flashlight beam in as many directions as I could, without getting out of the tent… getting out would make me fair game for the monster roaming around out there in the dark.

Needless to say we never slept that night. I never did spot what was making the noise in any of my repeated attempts to do so, which went on all night. The thoughts of something tearing through our tent and attacking us kept us awake and still haunt me today… the “Blair Which Project” was hard for me to watch because of this. And because of this, I have developed a fear of bears, which is the theme of my next scary story.

The next morning, we did investigate and found the tracks and the cause of our nights fear, it was a beaver. He had fallen a small tree about 40 feet from our tent… this explains the first biggest clunk. Then he proceeded to gnaw off branches and drag them, one by one, right by our tent and down to his dam, which explains the other loud popping sounds throughout the night which moved around. In my panic state, when I’d shine the flashlight out the tent door, it was elevated… I was looking for something “BIG” remember. I just didn’t think to shine the beam on the ground for something small, like an annoying nocturnal beaver just doing his thing.

Now I know you’re all laughing at us by now, as we have over this story for many years. I just had to share this, because most of what we fear is all in our minds… as I assume most of these stories will reflect in this thread.

If you would like to hear the other story let me know and I will post it. I didn’t want to hog this whole thread by posting them both right now, especially if this is too far off topic and if you’re not that interested.
    Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Great story, I have had lots of things that have gone bump in the night. A herd of Elk, a Deer licking my sleeping bag, etc etc Yep I know that fear! LOL
    Go ahead and post the other story, that's what it here for.

rupe
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    paper.
    Tread Lightly