Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Ghost Towns

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hobo, GREAT story! ...yep, we've pretty much been there, done that too, except we didn't have the luxury of a tent at the time, we were sleeping under the stars on some blankets in a dry lake in Lucerne Valley, CA. We were sound asleep when a truck drove in and woke us up. The guy driving the truck had some sort of receiving device in his hand. He casually mentioned that he was tracking rattlesnakes which had been fitted with sending devices and that the area we were sleeping in was showing several rattlers in the immediate vicinity. We spent the rest of the night crammed into a Toyota Corolla, not a wink of sleep for the remainder of the night...needless to say, we no longer sleep on blankets on the ground.
    Please post up your other story...we'd love to read it.

That was an interesting story. I'd love to read the other story you have to tell.

Kathy
    Kathy

You asked for it, so here it is…

Well I told you about my healthy fear of bears, this is my bear story.

Now we are up to just a few years ago, about 5 years ago I believe. We (my Brother-in-law, his boys, us and my son and some of his friends), were on our way up for a fun few days of camping in the La Sal Mountains, which just happen to be just behind the house, Potters Ponds (N 39 26.943 W 111 16.610) to be exact, for those of you who have GPS’ers). Anyway, on our way we got to watch some real sheep dogs work. These dogs were so great, the way they could move those sheep around with just a whistle from the herder. We were so taken by this, we all got out and watched for a while and struck up a conversation with the sheep herder in the process. He was a friendly fellow by the name of Dewy, even my dog Duke had fun with his dogs, all was good, we had just made a new friend. Dewy had lots of cool stories for the boys, but we to cut story time short because we wanted to get going so we’d be set up before dark, but we invited him to our camp later for a cup.

As we made our way up the last hill with both trailers… oh ya I forgot, now we have the luxuries of a trailer, and so does my brother-in-law… but I still miss the tenting days. Anyway, where was I, oh ya? As we topped the hill we saw stuck on most every tree, a bright yellow warning sign at eye level. On these signs was a warning of a rouge bear spotted in the area, and for us to keep all food locked up inside our vehicles, and to not mess with it… ya right, as if I’d do that. Great, I thought, now this camping trip aught to be interesting… you know what I really thought, but I’ll let you guess, it will probably be better than the truth.

Anyway, we got all set up and just in time. We had a good dinner and the boys rounded up plenty of firewood for tonight’s fire. As the sun was setting, and the fire was getting settled in and going on it’s own without much fuss, in rode Dewy. He was on a big brown horse which was exciting for us all to see, especially the boys. I had just put the big pot of coffee next to the fire, and Dewy looked anxious to have some. We must have sat half the night listening to Dewy’s stories, which included the bear sighting. He said in quite the colorful and scary manor, that this bear had broken into several trailers in the area, and really shook up some folks. He added, this was the reason there weren’t many people in the campground, and not that we were just lucky. He also added, the Ranger had been trying unsuccessfully to track this bear for days, and because it was getting so aggressive, Dewy could shoot him on sight if he spotted it. Now I’m really up tight, but I have since learned to carry a gun, which made me feel a bit safer.

That night all the sounds of the forest were more intense than usual, maybe not for the others, but they were to me… my gun was close by let me tell you. I could not get to sleep, every time I got close I heard a noise… you know how that is.

But I made it through the night, and now it was morning and time for coffee… I know not very scary yet, but its coming. As I opened the door to the trailer (everyone was still sleeping, so I may as well make the coffee since I was awake anyway), out of the corner of my eye I saw movement. HOLLY CRAP!!!. The movement I saw was HUGE AND BROWN!!! I jumped so fast I dropped the pot of coffee with a loud crash, wakening everyone up. I also lost my footing, because now the steps were wet and I was running in place while trying to back up into the trailer. Now I was on the ground outside the trailer covered in coffee and mud, waiting to be attacked when I saw the bear! Not really, Dewy’s horse had made its way back to our camp, looking for our dog’s food dish we had placed out for a short time the night before… that horse sure liked that dog food. When I opened the door, the horse which was standing at the back of the trailer were the dish was, raised his head, that’s all it took.

Now is there any better proof of what our minds can do? As I look back, as you all must do too, the fondest memories I have of camping are usually of what went wrong. I go as often as I can to experience this… we’re crazy huh. Now with Geocaching and my new ghost towing adventures here, a new chapter is going to open, I can hardly wait, and I’ll keep you posted!
    Last edited by Hobo2; 02-04-2009 at 04:18 PM.
    Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Default Shot at and trampled in one night!

Camping out back of Charters Towers in Queensland we made one big mistake! We didnt tell the farmer we were on his property and where abouts we had camped.
    So it was after 9pm we doused the fire and settled down to sleep. It was only a blur of a dream but i heard the crack of gun shots, the roar of engines and lights across my eyes. I sat bolt upright and looked across to my mate who was allready sitting there ridgid with the look of terror on his face. I muddled my mind and focused. Gun shots again cracked across the thin air in my mind. It was at this time all **** broke loose. I could hear the camp site being trashed with heavy thuds and grunts, pots flung clanging, the smashing of camping furniture. THUMP!!, i was king hit from behind, our tent with myself and my mate in it were flattened and bowled over and stomped on, it was like a surreal game of wrestle that you would have with your brothers and sisters when you were younger. In a frantic panic we tore our way out of the tent to see the destruction and mayham and to fully realise just how lucky we were as we sat transfixed in the burnning brightness of the spot lights of professional kangaroo shooters. The shooters were given the all clear by the farmer to cull his lower paddock unknown to the farmer and the shooters, to dumb *** city boys in search of gold and lost cities were camping in the lower paddock. When the shooters got going onto a big mob, another shooter tried to coral them and they were spooked by the shooters vehicle as it got hung up on a gully side and about 20 kangaroos stampeeded through our camp site. LESSON LEARNT! One of the shooters said that the kangaroos they were onto were big reds that stood at about 6 foot tall and if it wasnt for the fact that human eyes dont reflect back the light the same as a kangaroo, we would have been dropped on the spot single shot. All ways tell people where you are and allways ask permission before entering private property!
    rev dr g
    " LOVE MANY - TRUST FEW - ALLWAYS PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE " (Gilbert Banyon, ww2 Digger)

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Agreed Rupe.

Hobo, that was not only a very good story, but it was very well written besides. You have my vote to continue with "page 2" as Paul Harvey was fond of saying.

Oooops I missed the other posts.....my bad.

Great stories from everyone! WOW!

Rattlesnakes, Bears and Kangaroos, and, of course, beavers.

Thanks, all, for the great mental pictures!

Kathy
    Kathy

Page 2 was just as good as page one . The rattlesnake story made me about wet my pants. Me and snakes don't mix well, any kind of snake I tend to wet, scream like a little girl , and run faster then a track star. I wouldn't have felt safe in the Toyota even. I would have left the area right then and there.
    Roos, LOL LOL LOL that story was great except the part with the possiblity of getting shot between the eyes.
    We stayed in a campground on Newberry Crater and they warned of the bears coming in and going after food as well. We were in a 29 foot travel trailer, we didn't see them but we heard them walking past and that was spooky enough. It's funny because we camp in bear country all the time, but I don't really think about them until the ranger has to stop by and say OH by the way there's bears etc etc, then it's like I have to lay there awake for hours wondering about one showing up. We sleep in a Jumping Jack tent trailer now and I sleep with my .44mag close by and don't worry about them anymore. Being that I hunt them by calling them in, and have harvested one, they don't seem to bother me anymore and I sleep like a baby. I guess when you see how easy they are to kill it's easier to sleep. rupe
    Coodinator Oregon Chapter of 4x4him.org
    Member of Handgunhunt.com
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    wheelersforthewounded.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    If you don't like logging then try using plastic toilet
    paper.
    Exploring Oregon in a Jeep
    Tread Lightly
    <><

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs up

Hobo, You're quite the story teller, I could picture it all in my mind's eye...terrific stuff!
    Rev Dr G, I'm glad we don't have roos over here, we've got enough wild critters to contend with. Neat story and a good word of caution as well.

Do I want to know why a deer was licking your sleeping bag? I'm afraid to ask, LOL!

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    The rattlesnake story made me about wet my pants. Me and snakes don't mix well, any kind of snake I tend to wet, scream like a little girl, and run faster then a track star. rupe
    I didn't think I would be able to relate a story, but that line I highlighted made me think of one.

Last September, I was driving the Kawasake Mule, and my DH and dog were in it with me too. Driving down the road, we saw a diamondback crossing the road. It must have sensed us, as it turned around and started to coil up. I veered away from it, and I heard a scream come out of my husband that I'd never heard before. The Mule started going faster and faster. I realized after we got passed that snake, that my husband's foot had made it's way from the passenger side to the gas pedal. All during this time, not a word (except for the scream) was spoken between the two of us, until we were well passed the snake. It was an adrenaline moment, I tell ya!

(He was alittle upset with me, as I veered to the left leaving his side of the Mule vulnerable. I guess that's why he screamed... )
    Kathy

Thread Information