Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Ghost Towns

After reading this it brings all sorts of my experiences to mind. Involving mountain lions, prospectors with no teeth, ( sort of like those in Deliverance), hippies sleeping in old cabins, men with guns, etc.

Good advice about carrying. I also like the motion detector idea.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Max Barnett
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I explore New Mexico a lot and the closer I get to the border the higher the anxiety. My pet fear is being in a tent with no view of what is around me while any one who comes up can see where I am and all my exits. I think the odds of some six o'clock news event happening is small but it still makes for something other than a peaceful night's sleep.
    Because of this paranoia I built some special motion sensors that I place in the camp area and on the trail or road leading to my site. The sensors contact me by radio if anything over 30 lbs crosses in front of it. Depending on the terrain, I can locate the remote sensors up to a couple of miles away for a good "heads up" when someone is coming. The real value is the peace of mind. When I wake up in the night and think I heard something I'm not afraid to stick my head out of the tent for fear my head might be lopped off with a machete. If someone is out there this system will let me know. So far there has never been an alarm except when I step outside to relieve myself (that also tests it!).
    Just wanted to tell this story so you know that you are not alone in your paranoia!
    Max
    Max,

Would be willing to share your setup with everyone? I am very interested in what kind of setup you have.

Me too - I would like to know more about the motion detectors. If you want send me a private message.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Default Dangerous Ghost Towns

S&W 9mm, Glock 40cal. Mossburg 12ga police riot issue.

Yes Mr. wierd, Psycho, No Teeth, Smelly, Stalking, In-bred Nut Case..Lets Party!

By the way, anyone seen that independent film "29 palms" wow...
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Talking paranoa

why are you all so paranoid about being all by yourself. what's out there to hurt you and why???

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by circusboy
    why are you all so paranoid about being all by yourself. what's out there to hurt you and why???
    Weird Canadian people that like to run from the law for one thing. Like the guy they chased from Tonopah, NV to Death Valley and back. Google "Ballarat Bandit".

Plus I have never had it happen to me, but I know a couple of guys who went out hiking and walked up on a cougar that didn't particularly care for them being there at that moment. Luckily one had a 9MM which he emptied into the cougar as it went for his buddy.

I have whacked a rattler or two though that decided they weren't going to back off.

I'm not at all scared of ghost towning by myself. I always bring my dog (a pit bull, don't worry, she's a really sweet dog, but I can definitely trust her to protect me if the need arises and I always carry my 9mm Baby Eagle with me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie
    I will tell you we never went back on these trips with out protection (Seldom Seen Slim) the old Ballarat prospector always told us that the area at the top of Panamint City was protected by (Panamint Annie) who would shoot out your radiator So in that trip in1960 may have been ( Shotgun Annie) friends or maybe she ran them off and they were out exploring also like us who knows, but it was a very uncomfortable position to be in to say the least.
    Wouldn't that be Shotgun Mary Slim mentioned to you?

~Dezdan

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_town_huntress
    I'm not at all scared of ghost towning by myself. I always bring my dog (a pit bull, don't worry, she's a really sweet dog, but I can definitely trust her to protect me if the need arises and I always carry my 9mm Baby Eagle with me too.
    Same here but I have an Akita. I always have a handgun on me and a rifle nearby, usually an AR15. When in a tent I have all that and a shotgun, better to have it and not need it then the other way around.

A few years back I was camping in Seqoia Nat. Park. (sorry about the spelling). One night at around 2:00a.m. we got woken up by the sound of foot steps and heavy breathing. We all blasted holes every where through the tent..............no just kidding, we were not armed but wished we were. We just satyed still and got our knives ready. Luckly they left us alone. After a sleepless night wishing we had a firearm, we peaked out like little girls to see big cat tracks every where around our tent and camp sight. Probally moutain lions, but we could see by the tracks that there was two different size cats, and they had circled our tent quite a bit, probally deciding on what to do. Since then I have decided that a hand gun is worth the wieght, when back packing.

I would like to know more about the motion detectors, but it appears that this guy is no longer with us, anyone have any info. on this subject?
    Andy

Thread Information