Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Ghost Towns

Quote Originally Posted by high desert drifter View Post
    i'm sorry about that; we here in california have been trying to keep diane feinstein under control now for years! However it could have been worse... She usually makes her rounds with nancy pelosi
    hahahahaha!!!
    Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Default That creature is a wingless "Jersey Devil".

The creature referenced below is quite clearly a wingless fur-enhanced mutant of the "Jersey Devil" commonly found in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. The "World's Scariest Places" cable TV show would surely be very interested in that fine photo.

I once hiked through the Pine Barrens many years ago when pig iron was still being produced there, and it was an eerie and strange place full of creatures like that.

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    Just as I was leaving my house early one Sunday morning to go ghost town hunting, I heard a fierce, wild scream, catching me by surprise.

I knew this must be a beast of unbelievable fortitude, as my usual defence system of not bathing for weeks on end normally tends to keep predators away.

..The creature reared back in defiance, the acrid smell of death and the sound of pure **** from its jaws, then, in an instant, retreated to the far side of the driveway and continued its threatening posture.

..I've never encountered this creature again, thank goodness, but the deeply embedded claw marks on the undercarriage are a clue to its determination and probable survival.

At some point in the confusion, I had the presence of mind to snap a quick photo of the beast before it disapearred. Looking at it now, still sends chills down my spine.

Default Firearms

I never carry a weapon and I go camping every other weekend, year-round.

Surprise canyon is currently impassable to horses or burrows (unless they can muster mountaineering equip.) I have seen burrow chips in several of the mines in Panamint City.

But Johnnie spins a wonderful tale.

As far as shooters go, I hate having to pick up shooter trash. At almost every campsite, I look around for stumps and rocks about fifty feet out. Then I know where to start picking up broken beer bottles. I generally collect about two plastic shopping bags full each time I camp at a new spot. Brass and glass. Corona drinkers are the standard, then Bud.

I have nothing against target stooting. I just hate trashy people. Pick up your brass, shotgun shells, wads, clays, and trash.

I've camped with NRA instructors who feel the same.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Default Convert 8mm to mpg or avi video?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    We are currantly working with a couple fellow ghosttowners that have their own web sites and hope to find a way install our 8mm films now on video
    Hello I can volunteer to help converting 8mm film footage to video if it is super 8. You can tell super 8 as it takes up almost all of the print surface of the film with a full frame. Regular 8 uses a smaller frame area. The sprocket holes need to be in good condition, otherwise the film has to be edited to take damaged sections out.

Once converted to mpeg (video) it can then be converted for posting on youtube or streaming video on the internet. I may be contacted in email. thx, steve

One thing for sure about ghosttowners...they sure know how to dig up the past

Quote Originally Posted by Max Barnett View Post
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I explore New Mexico a lot and the closer I get to the border the higher the anxiety. My pet fear is being in a tent with no view of what is around me while any one who comes up can see where I am and all my exits. I think the odds of some six o'clock news event happening is small but it still makes for something other than a peaceful night's sleep.
    Because of this paranoia I built some special motion sensors that I place in the camp area and on the trail or road leading to my site. The sensors contact me by radio if anything over 30 lbs crosses in front of it. Depending on the terrain, I can locate the remote sensors up to a couple of miles away for a good "heads up" when someone is coming. The real value is the peace of mind. When I wake up in the night and think I heard something I'm not afraid to stick my head out of the tent for fear my head might be lopped off with a machete. If someone is out there this system will let me know. So far there has never been an alarm except when I step outside to relieve myself (that also tests it!).
    Just wanted to tell this story so you know that you are not alone in your paranoia!
    Max
    Well,thats why you never shall go alone.
    also running a Fire,to keep wild Animals away,and having someone awake and securing

Default Did Gravel make his trip?

Does anyone know if Gravel ever made his trip to the States?

Default Scary story

When my brother and I were on our way back from British Columbia, snaking our way down Highway 1 through Oregon and California, we couldn't find a place to stay the night. We didn't have much money, so we were looking for a campground or motel. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Finally we decided to pull off onto a small road and drive a ways until we could find a place to sleep the night. We didn't bother setting up camp. We crawled through a barbed wire fence, threw our sleeping bags down, and fell fast asleep.

In the wee hours of the morning we heard heavy footsteps and rustling in the weeds. And there wasn't just one of them-- there were a few of them circling closer to us. They didn't say anything, but I could hear the lumbering beasts breathing heavily as they crept closer. A chill ran down my spine as I wondered what to do. We had no weapons and were completely exposed. There were at least three of them and only two of us, and we were zipped into our sleeping bags when they were standing only 10 feet or so away.

I couldn't stand the suspense any longer and sat up to see who was there. I heard a loud snort and heard them tear off into the brush.

The next morning we found lots of hoof prints from our evening equine explorers.

My dad taught me to shoot a Winchester 67A .22 rimfire, single-shot, bolt action rifle when I was around 6 years old. I think he got it from a Highway Patrol officer up in Bishop, near where my great-grandparents used to live.

When I go to the desert, I'm armed. I don't like the idea of walking around miles from civilization with just my wits and hands for protection. However, this does NOT mean I am looking for trouble. I would much rather skidaddle out of a dangerous situation than blaze away with a firearm.

I lived in east LA when the riots broke out in 1992. I saw the smoke from my office window on Wilshire Blvd when the looters started burning South Central. The door to the new office building my company was in the midst of moving to had a bullet hole through it when I arrived there the following day. There were shootings on my street, and my apartment was broken into. I figured if I were to continue living there I'd get a PPK .380 or something of similar size to carry with me. I decided it best to just move away so I wouldn't have to get into a gun battle.

The biggest danger in uninhabited ghost towns not being used by meth makers, Manson family members, or other ne'er-do-wells is probably dangerously unstable buildings or mines. You won't catch me wandering into an old mine or driving an ATV carelessly around any place with open shafts.

Default Bear story

I have camped with bears. Angry bears. I was hiking from Tuolumne Meadows down to the back side of Half Dome and decided to stay at Sunrise High Sierra Camp. It was late in the season and nobody was there, so my brother and I picked out the best campsite in the area.

We put all our food into my sleeping bag stuff sack and hoisted it high in a pine tree. Then we tied the rope to another tree.

About midnight there was an ungodly scraping sound outside the tent. We both awakened and stuck our heads out and there, fifteen feet away, was a huge bear hanging on the rope leading from the first tree to the second tree. He would lean back and the bag with the food would be yanked up against the huge branch from which it hung, the rope would drag across the bark under tremendous tension, and the bear would hang there for a second gripping the rope, all his weight trying to break it.

We debated trying to chase him away. But he was making no headway and the rope continued to hold, and he could not get at our food, so we tried to go back to sleep.

Our attempt to sleep lasted for maybe fifteen minutes before there was a tremendous roaring and stomping on the ground. This frightening ruckus came from the other side of our tent. The roaring went on for what seemed forever, then there was a crashing as a bear charged past us. We peeked out just as this second bear raced up to the first, still hanging from our rope, and roared and snarled right in its face.

The first bear did not even turn from his task of working on our rope. He paid no attention. Ignored the other bear completely. So much for our earlier thoughts about chasing the guy away.

So the second bear went back behind our tent and started to grumble. Within four or five minutes it was roaring again and stomping the ground. Then the charge, then the ignoring and lack of interest by the first bear, and repeat. This behavior seemed to go on for hours. Each time the bear charged I was sure it would crash right through our tent.

Finally the second bear gave up and left. The first bear reached up and grabbed the bottom of the food bag. His stretching of the rope had been successful. He pulled down on the bag, the thick pine branch bending like a twig. Our food bag became a pinata. Food everywhere. The bear ate every last thing except two items---the Shaklee's instant protein and the vitamins.

We had the protein with water and the vitamins and hiked back to our car. We drove to Yosemite and hiked Half Dome from the valley. And that is why, to this day, I don't camp where there are bears.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Thread Information