Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Ghost Towns

Default Igloo, SD

FWIW, if you should ever pass thru the Black Hills of SD, there is a old Military town called Igloo.

The town is actually referenced on this site. I was there on a photo trip 2 weeks ago. If you do go, WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT GET OFF THE MAIN GRAVEL ROAD. The landowner is not to be reasoned with and is under legal dispute for pulling a gun on some people.

He followed me for 2 hrs as I photographed the remaining buildings (from the road).

Hey John,

Did you talk with the owner? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by circusboy
    why are you all so paranoid about being all by yourself. what's out there to hurt you and why???
    For one thing, there are some not-too-friendly people.
    There are druggies,that will stop at nothing to rob or kill you for their fixes.
    The news is full of meth idiots.
    They do go on crime sprees.
    Some, are very willing to kill,just for the fun of it.Or, to rob you.It is hard telling,of what strangers have in mind.
    Look at the news: coydog ,coyote attacks, cougars and bears.
    If you think there's nothing to
    hurt you,then YOU spend several nights at some of these places. I will guarantee you,you'll need a complete change of clothes,T.P. included.Cities,are much more scary.Some parts of this town,
    are a "no man's land". The police won't go there at night.
    Some here, found out the hard way; get armed for a peace of mind.
    I've been out there,at night.No
    flashlight,2 handguns and a 22 scoped rifle.I walked along a road,1/4 mile and back.
    I already know the "pucker factor".
    Gang, please include night vision. And survival kits.
    You are wondering if I can shoot. Try 297 out of a possible 300. At the SDSO range.(San Diego County Sheriif's Department)
    I also shoot,with a handgun open sights,out to 100 yards.
    I'm a handgun hunter.Yes, I will shoot back.I don't need 911.
    No brag,just fact.
    I reload ammo.
    This so-called "paranoia" you wrote about, is called "common sense". Something that many city people have lost.Most of them, has lost reality.They live in a fantasy world.
    Yes, I will never go unarmed in isolated places.
    I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Late November/early December,we were at Tombstone,AZ. I went to Cherokee Jack's.He told me, that if we were going on the backtrails,"load up". Why? Since drug smugglers are all over the place.I already knew of the situation.I took nearly all my guns,plenty of ammo.
    That did include my 45-70 rifle.
    I sure don't aim to wound.

Blythewood,SC.,Isle of Palms,SC., Midlothian,VA.,Slat Lake City,UT.

Default Camping Preperation

Great "motion detector"is soda cans strung on fishing line.Height is determined by the likely hood of bigfoot,cougars or bear.The biggest caliber handgun is the best.By the way,a great website for this kind of advice-guns and the wilderness is MADOGRE.COM.He writes for gun mags and test weapons for the manufacturers.Poor guy lives near that Skinwalker Ranch horror.

Hiya !
    Be sure to add some pebbles in the cans.Basic stuff used in Vietnam.

elow i js wana know wer can i get the whole info about the silent hill.

Smasher, just out of curiosity, what silent hill? The ****** video game? The place doesn't exist.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

However, talking about Silent Hill, I just went and saw the movie (based on the video game) tonight. For those of you who haven't played it or seen it: it takes place in an abandoned town in West Virginia and the coal underneath the town has been burning for 30 years and there's a demon and lots of ugly scary supernatural creatures roaming around. I remember seeing something about a town like that on tv (minus the demon and creatures)and decided to do a little research and remembered the name of the real town is Centralia, Pennsylvania. I'm wondering if the game was based on the town of Centralia and just renamed?
    Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Default Some very protective, armed and paroniod people

Some years back I was exploring some of the many fantastic remains of the dozens of "ghost towns" in the Bradshaw Mountains of Central Arizona. As my friend and I neared an impressive structure (some sort of mining elevator), we were approached by a man with a military style shotgun and a huge pit bull dog. As he was screaming at us about trespassing he pointed to another man up the hill who had another weapon (scoped) aimed at us. Meanwhile the big dog was growling inches from my neck on the passinger side of the truck as my friend in the driver's seat was talking to the barrel of a very nasty 12 gauge shotgun. Though I had a large magnum handgun in my right hand under a towel, we were very courteous to these two "gentlemen" who allowed us to turn around and leave NOW. This experience really ticked us off, but we were in no position do disagree or offend then in any way. An hour later we arrived at the top of the hill in Crown King (summer homes, two bars and lots of legally armed people). No probs there. We were told to be extremly careful exploring the Bradshaws. Many people have legal mining claims that allows them to stay there even though they aren't mining. Many are making drugs (Meth or growing pot). The law only requires them to move so many tons of Earth a year to be legal (in living on that claim). Words of wisdom...before exploring do research, speak to law enforcement, forest rangers, game & fish etc as well as locals (not just in the place close to your destination). Small, desert town people are usually very poor, paranoid and heavily armed. Be Careful!

Default your a fortunate person

I used to be a professional jeep tour driver here in Arizona and though we dressed in 1880s getups and wore single action guns, we kept them loaded for business. Some our our guests had a real problem about this (some even declined to go on the tour). I began keeping newspaper clippings about stories like your's (FlatIron and just folded them in an envelope). This stuff was not info I would volunteer, but when a scared Bostonian or Canadian needed a real reason why we caried "hot" and live ammo I would break out this envelope. In all reality you would have a greater probability being shot in NYC, Toronto, or Boston than the boonies of AZ (not to mention threats from cougars and black bear from the high country in times of drought). Another aspect that I would tell them about was the fact that it would take sheriff's deputies (in ground units) 30x the response compared to cops in the cities where they live (cities that the guests live). For that reason we carried hot and some folks were petrified of us. Some aspects of the old west still remain to this day even though most of us (law abiding, non-fellon, armed US Citizens) who cherish our 2nd Ammendment, pray that we will never have to use this constitutional right.
    Last edited by ArizonaNativeDude; 05-15-2006 at 04:32 AM.

Thread Information