Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for spooky places near Tucson

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Looking for spooky places near Tucson

Hello group! I've been an avid GT explorer since moving to Tucson in 1999. I've visited most of the common sites, thanks to Phillip Varney's excellent book. I'm now starting to take a second look at sites I may have not found, or that I haven't spent enough time exploring. I love old West history, but I also love graveyards and various "spooky places", even though they give me mixed feelings of dread and anticipation. I always go alone, but I'd love to go with someone more experienced to help me find what I may have overlooked the first time. I also love exploring abandoned areas and always looking for "curiosities".
    Thanks!
    Brian

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

TW,
    Thanks for the great information! I think it was the cemetary near Harshaw that gave me the creeps a few years ago. I was getting tired cutting through the endless side roads looking for "anything", so I parked the truck and sat on the tailgate to take a lunch break. It was a weekday, and very, very quiet. All of a sudden, I feel the need to look off to the right, and there, way off in the distance, is a single grave with an old, rusty fence surrounding it. As I walked towards it, through the bushes, I suddenly discovered another, partially hidden in the brush, and as I approached that one, yet another. As creepy as it made me feel, in hindsight, I think it just shows how hard it is to search the terrain carefully, and try to drive at the same time. I think your post has promted me to head back that way, maybe this weekend if the weather is right. I've always gone alone, but this might be a good time to learn from someone else's experience. Let me know if you might like to head down there soon. Brian

Brian, Have you ever been to sunnyside down by parker canyon lake. they have a cemetary that it took me a long time to find. one grave was dated 1945.

If I remember right, the last time I tried to go there (maybe 2 years ago) the road was chained off. Do you know an alternate route? Please share it with me, (as well as a clue as to the location of the cemetary?). Thank you!! Brian

brian. go east on I-10 to exit 281. turn south to sonita, [25 miles from I-10] at sonita go straight on highway 83,towards parker canyon lake [30 miles] when getting close to parker canyon lake there will be some hairpin curves, when the road comes up a hill on the right side of the road there will be a sign with sierria vista to the left. from the left turn it will be about 4 miles, there will be another sign for sunnyside. turn left. follow that road for about 2 miles, stay on the main road, there is another road that goes to left. dont take it. after the y in the road stay right, follow it down to almost sunnyside. on the right there is a gate go thru the gate close it , there is a parking spot about 60 feet to the left , park there and go straight east for about 100 yards or so. when you get to the telephone poles turn left and follow the poles while looking to your left. it maybe hard to find but there are 4 big trees on the corners.

total wreck. i think that there may be two cem, the one i know about you cant get to it by truck. a couple of years ago my friend and i tried to find the cem on the map i have but never could. the cem that i know about only has about 8 graves.

T.W. the one i am thinking about you cant drive to. maybe on a bike but a car or truck cant get there. maybe one of these days when i go to my other house at parker canyon i will let you know and we can get together and check it out.it would be nice to meet you. ernie

T.W. i have heard about the donnely mine but i have no idea where it is. The cem that i was talking about is south east of sunnyside. about 1/4 mile from the town. I have been thinking about going to the other house on the 31 of march.

SASCO cemetary to the NW of Tucson - you may have already been...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Map of Sasco

Quote Originally Posted by Watt Noise
    SASCO cemetary to the NW of Tucson - you may have already been...
    In case you haven't been to SASCo, here's a map with that area's sites.

http://www.topographs.com/mapdb.php?session=102

Thread Information