Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: winkelman, texas

Question winkelman, texas

so, i'm in houston and we're going to brenham to see the blue bell ice cream factory when we pass this little conclave of broken down buildings with a sign that says "Jezebel saloon". so, on the way back, we take the turn off and check it out. it appears to be all the buildings of winkelman crowded together on the side of the road. it seemed as though someone is living there guarding the properties or something: there was a car outside the only building that didn't look as if a stiff wind would blow it down. does anybody know anything more about this weird little town?

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Google "jezebel saloon winkelman texas". Kind of interesting. Seems to be very little info on this GT. OJ

when we got home, we googled away. this site (ghosttowns.com) had the best info, but it didn't say much. the page says that reginald adams has more info and to contact him for it, but there's no way to contact him. that's why i posted. the only other website that actually said anything was a drunken account of a bar crawl -- not too useful.

Winkleman was developed in the early 80's.... It was created for tourist to stop, eat, and shop in the quaint little group of buildings. The buildings were moved there from other locations. It did not make it and slowly each business closed down

Default Winkelmann, Texas: Homosexual Hotbed

There is a difference between fiction and truth. This is the true story of Winkelmann, Texas ...

It is NOT a real place. Rather, it is a contrived accummulation of odds and ends of various buildings moved to its site east of Brenham, Texas in the 1980s by former Brenham resident, Raymond Winkelmann, Jr.

Originally, Raymond began his idea for putting together old structures in Chappell Hill, Texas, which is right up Highway 290 from where his group of old buildings now sit.

However, the citizens of Chappell Hill ran Raymond Winkelmann out of their community because they did not want the unsavory cult of homosexuals hanging around that Raymond attracted as his cronies. Raymond Winkelmann was a full-blown homosexual who later died of Aids and is buried in the Brenham cemetery known as Prairie Lea. There is a gaudy monolith in the graveyard marking his passing and referencing Winkelmann, Texas.

Winkelmann, Texas was never a recognized community either for residential or post office purposes.

It is/was a failed attempt at tourism. It never was any attraction of consequence and began and continues to be a hang-out for homosexuals, the remnants of friends and hangers-on from the Raymond Winkelmann days.

Anyone who believes that this joke of pseudo-old time Texas is a real "ghost town" or that it ever was a place of human activity is truly gullible.

It is as empty and pointless as the life of any homosexual ... a charade ... a facade ... a shell of pretense ... as dead and forgotten as the homosexual who put it together and provided a haven for his homosexual "family" to retreat.

Since its inception, it has been considered a major joke by the citizens of both Brenham and Chappell Hill, along with its creator Raymond Winkelmann.

At no time has this bunch of creaking, leaking and falling down buildings ever been completely "open" to the public or of any use for tourism, entertainment or attraction. It is not part of any tour, has no historical merit, nor of any significance to the local economy. As stated, it is a flop-site for homosexual activity and decent families and individuals are advised to stay away from it.

"Winkelmann, Texas" is best left to the termites and vandalism that is its ultimate destiny, just as the Aids that ravaged its originator.

Ask anyone in Brenham or Chappell Hill and not a soul will ever recommend or suggest this as a place for tourist visitation. It is a blight on the country-side and everyone will be totally glad if the entire Winkelmann site would simply be carted away.

You may find the above offensive if you are a homosexual or supporter of same, but truth is truth and what you have read is the truth of the surrounding community. It is not the opinion of this poster. If you believe otherwise, I suggest you inquire of the locals and you will find out your own truth.
    Last edited by Jacob Johnson; 04-02-2006 at 10:31 AM.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Goodness J.J.: Don't beat around the bush. Say what you really mean. OJ

Hey Guys...Winkelmann, Texas is a small town off of 290. i Should know i am a winkelmann

anyways

ray winkelmann
    bought the 5 acre site and put old building ( 19 to be exact) and in 1986 the town went bankrupt. in 1989, it was auctioned off and no one has bought to this day.

and ray winkelmann was NOT ***! who did you hera this from?

Default Winkelmann, Texas

I have done quite a bit of research on Winkelmann, Texas and Jacob Johnson's account is pretty much accurate as I have discovered. I can add the information that I have gleaned over the years. Actually, the demise of the village came after Ray's *** lover and he got in a quarrel. The lover went on television and told about Ray's AIDS, and the restaurant that Ray operated at Winkelmann suffered immediate and immeasurable damage. This is basically what caused the bancruptcy. The bank then sold the assembled antiques and re-couped their money. They were left with the land and buildings, but didn't really care about them because they had covered their losses. By this time the buildings had begun to disintegrate and there wasn't much interest in the site. The exact ownership(s) between the initial sale and the current owner is hazy, but apparently there might have been several owners between the bank and the current owner.

The current owner(as of 2002 or so) was from California and bought the whole kit and kaboodle for $200,000. From the description of the site by other entries to this forum, it sounds like the same person still owns it. I don't know exactly what this owner had in mind, but apparently he had dreams of revitalizing it, but did not possess the expertise to do so. He tried to open some of the shops but it never got off the ground.

In 1998 a person with excellent credentials approached the owner about operating Windelmann as a working village with monthly special events. Apparently, the owner was somewhat unscrupulous and scared the prospective operator off with questionable business practices, after things were beginning to jell.

Since that time, it has continued to deteriorate as the owner is apparently not experienced in such a venture or ethical business practices. As Jacob Johnson says, the Brenham community is hesitant to become involved not only because of its homosexual history, but because of the shadiness of the current owner and the continuing state of decline in the buildings.

If I had to make a guess, Winkelmann, Texas is dead because of these factors. It is very sad, because at one point there was much potential for this site as a very viable tourist attraction in the middle of historic Texas. It would not have mattered that the village was not an authentic ghost town, because it would not have been marketed as such. It could have been marketed as a working early Texas village with actual historic buildings and frequent special events. It's location equidistant between Houston and Austin, as well as proximity to San Antonio and DFW, lent itself to vast potential.

I'm afraid it is too late now as it would take enormous capital to bring it back up to par.

Default Winkelman,Texas

It is sad what happend to the place.Never even heard of it or the story behind it until I joined this forum.
    What they were trying to do is similar to Bracken Village,which is east of San Antonio
    in the town of Bracken on Nacodoches Road,which was part of the old Camino Real.
    This has various shops and a British Tea room among other things.However this has been successful.
    In Leon Springs,Tx off of I-10 North they have a group of old houses also turned into shops for the tourists.
    An old stagecoach inn that belonged to relatives of Admiral
    Chester A.Nimitz is a restaurant.

Thread Information