Thread: Osco, Nebraska

Default Osco, Nebraska

I'm looking for Osco which is/ was in Kearney County, Nebraska. Can anyone help with directions? It's no longer on any maps, but I know it existed in the 1880's. Thanks in advance, Les.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Cool osco

Trapper: It be on the l895 U. S. Atlas map, right there near the southern border of Kearney Co. Osco Cemetery and Osco Church are still available for your viewing and visiting pleasure. OJ

Default Osco

Thanks Judge, but I don't have an 1895 Atlas. Unfortunately all I have is a 2006 state road map. I wonder if you could be a bit more specific, maybe a road number, intersection? Maybe the name of the closest existing town. It's the cemetery I'm looking for.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Cool

Then try www.topozone.com. And click on View Maps. And then plug in those coordinates. And try googling l895 U. S. Atlas. Then click on Nebraska. Then click on Kearney County. OJ

Default Let USGS GNIS do the work for you

Just click on the feature you want at USGS GNIS like the cemetary.

A screen will come up with Topozone in a box on the right.

Click on the topozone and you will get this:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...atum=NAD83&u=5

Hopefully you can figure out how to expand the map out from there!
    Yet Another Bob

Wink

But Bob, what's ol' Trapper gonna do when he's got a new problem and can't remember what thread he got all that cool advice on? Will he know how to get to GNIS on his own? Will he know what to do when (if) he gets there? Will he know what to do when he stumbles his way to topozone? We'll see. He don't seem to be much of a self-starter to me. OJ

Default He was polite

He was polite, he didnít ask about some silly gravity gates of paranormal dementia. A trip to the Library of Congress website would get him access to several dozen maps of that era after a bunch of work and since it once had a post office, I bet there a bunch of philatelic sites he could run down with additional information but not as easy. That is near your neck of the woods, and regional books he could consult?

OJ It is like the first time my beagle caught a toad, I helped him get the foam and foul taste out of his mouth but cautioned that next time he was on his own. Next time, he encountered a toad, he cornered it, held it at bay and called the pack (me) with a series of short staccato bays. If my furkid can learn, after one example, I bet so can trapper. If trapper shows up again with foam on his mouth, he is on his own, he got his freshman answer, next time hopefully heíll ask a sophomoric question. This Salty Dog will wag his tail when meeting a pleasant stranger at least once.
    Yet Another Bob

Thanks for the help guys. After all those years of thrashing around in the northern Canadian bush with nothing except trees as go-bys, I guess I'll get to Osco all right eventually.
    Bob, I can relate to your dog/ frog thing. Had a sheep one time got into a head-butting match with a porcupine. Porky won, but my wooly never did it again. Next visit by Porky, it was my dog that tried it!!

I always carried top maps with me in the bush. Never got lost. But still can't navigate my way around a big mall. Thanks again for the advice.

Thumbs up Sorry Bob

Bob: You're right of course. I'm gettin' crotchety in my old age. You reminded me of the story of watchin' the young Scout dig a slit trench in a poison ivy patch. He'll only do it once. Sorry for being so judgmental. OJ

Thread Information