Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried to find Black Diamond today

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Angry Tried to find Black Diamond today

I tried to find the Black Diamond mine in Southern Arizona today. I did my research, and even bought a topo map of the area, after asking advice from the map guys.
    Its supposed to be in the Dragoon mountains, somewhere between Pearce and Tombstone.
    My map said I should look for a trail going south from Pearce road. I took a trail marked ghosttown trail as suggested my a friend that lives in the area. Well, it went in the right direction, at least. Was this my first mistake?
    I then came across a sign (pic # 21) and I chose Tombstone, because the map shows I don't want to go to Middlemarch pass. (Even though I still ended up there)
    Next sign was a little encouraging. (#22). But it was to be the only clue I found on the trip.
    By the way, its always a good idea to be heavily armed down there. (pic 24)
    Ok, the next sign (#26), and I chose Tombstone, since my map shows I don't want to go towards the canyon.
    (#27) was an easy decision. Dead end=end of trip.
    So, somewhere, I zigged when I should have zagged. I do this all the time. I ended up in Tombstone.
    So the trip wouldn't be a complete loss, I revisited my old friends Gleeson and Courtland. Since my last trip, I'm starting to see a lot more of this (#43) which is hugely disapointing but understandable.
    Anyway, if any of you ghost town hunters know where I made my fatal error(s), please correct me before my next attempt.
    Thanks! Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images      

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I didn't have room for all the pictures. Here's the last one:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Question

Thanks TW. You know, it only took me 4 attempts in 5 years to find the graveyard at Silverbell. I never give up.

Brian10x..........Is it possible that Black Diamond is on the privately owned Black Diamond Ranch? It sounds like you'll eventually find it with your persistence. It's still a heck of a lot of fun, though, ain't it?...........

Yeah, its always fun. I think its the idea that something cool may be "just around the next corner."
    There is the possibility it could be inaccessable on private land, but an intensive Google search revealed directions for tourists that state I should have stayed on Middlemarch Road (zigged) instead of turning prematurely towards Tombstone. (zagged)
    BTW, Maptech was great, but in this particular case only gave topos of a mine out West near the Ca. border.
    Right here on Ghostowns.com, it mentions (albiet somewhat vagely) its located in Cochise county.
    http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/blackdiamond.html

The pictures were taken by Kurt Wenner. I'm thinking about dropping him an email. Does anyone here know him?
    Thanks as always!
    Brian
    AKA Zigzag

Default found black diamond

I know this is a few months late, and I don't know if you found the mine yet, but I know what you did wrong. You need to take the middlemarch canyon road instead of the tombstone one. There are a few side roads, and the mine is up one of the ones to the left, but I'm not sure which one. The road to the actual mine shaft is very short, but steep.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmetts View Post
    I know this is a few months late, and I don't know if you found the mine yet, but I know what you did wrong. You need to take the middlemarch canyon road instead of the tombstone one. There are a few side roads, and the mine is up one of the ones to the left, but I'm not sure which one. The road to the actual mine shaft is very short, but steep.
    Thank you, yes, I know.
    http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?t=14556

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Kurt Wenner's Mailing address, etc. is on this site. If necessary, Google the name and bounce back to this site at proper locus. OJ

Quote Originally Posted by old judge View Post

Kurt Wenner's Mailing address, etc. is on this site. If necessary, Google the name and bounce back to this site at proper locus. OJ
    Thanks. I write to Kurt every time I make an attempt, and send him my post. He's given me a lot of encouragement.

Question more mines

I've found three mines in the area, but now I I don't think any of them are the black diamond. The first one you've already found in Middlemarch canyon.

The second one isn't really important or interesting, but to get to it you take the Tombstone road for awhile until you come to a sign that says Soren Pass 3 miles
    Dead End 5 miles
    you take that road for awhile and there is a mine on the left.

I think you might have been up this road before...it's the one that gets really bad at the end. I almost tipped my fourwheeler on it.

The third one you get to by taking the tombstone road again. You take that for a few miles and pass a couple of cattle guards. Eventually on the left side there is another road that points in almost the opposite direction as you have been traveling. That road has a fork and you take the one that goes to the right. Eventually you come to a sign that says dangerous conditions. If you continue to follow that road it turns up the side of a mountain and is pretyt rough, but the mine is right up there.

Thread Information