Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unpublished Ghost Town Photos

Default Unpublished Ghost Town Photos

Hi All:

I've recently published numerous photos from 1929-1933 of Tombstone, AZ; various towns on California's Hwy 49; Leadfield, CA; Orchard Camp, CA, Virginia City NV; Bodie/Aurora; shots of the old towns of Kern River Valley (like Quartzburg, now under Lake Isabella) and other places that I can't identify that are in these same general areas.

I'm hoping to get some help identifying the photos that I'm not sure about. My site is www.charlieosborn.com. The photos I'm referring to begin on this page https://www.charlieosborn.com/collec...historic1.html. It would be great if I could get some help with the identifications. And I think you'll enjoy these photos, I believe they are rather unique.

Thank you.
    Charlie Osborn
    Chico, CA

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hmmm, well first, for me the thumbnail pics are too small to try and clearly id the locations. That's besides the fact that all are embossed with your name, which only adds to the problem. I found one that I thought to be Downieville, CA but cannot be certain. Second, I get the feeling this is a "backdoor" attempt to sell the larger versions of these photos. If anyone is interested, I guess it's ok, but in my opinion, with the stamp acoss them, this could be difficult.
    bb.

I have to agree with Bad Bob on this one (dang, how many bad bob's does this site have?!). Plus, no offense to you Charlie, but why should we help you make money? The whole point of your photos is to sell them, correct? So why should we waste our time looking over the photos for clues to lead to their identification when you are just going to profit off of it?

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hi Dezdan....
    I'm the only "bad bob" here.
    The label says newbie, but I've been coming to this site shortly after it's inception. This forum was a bit different (lot's of flaming), and Todd Underwood was the webmaster. Not sure if he still is or not. Seems like you were around back then too...I remember the handle.
    I see several other "Bob's" here tho, I guess that's what you're referring to.
    bb.

Ah, the original Bad Bob! Welcome back! I presume you're not the Bad Bob that took a header down a shaft, right? The forum hasn't changed much over the years, just instead of all the flaming we have all the loons chasing after 'Gravity Hill' or haunted psycho demon houses and the likes. Todd is still around, but the place sure does need a few moderators who will moderate with iron fist!

Oh, and Charlie, just because I am feeling gracious at the moment and I enjoy the Death Valley region (plus I don't want to seem like a total a$$), the two images you have labeled as 'Pacific Coast Borax Co.' (11-735 & 11-736) are photos of the Amargosa Hotel that was originally built in 1923 as the headquarters, a hotel, a community center, a dining hall and employee housing for the Pacific Coast Borax Company. It is located in Death Valley Junction, CA.

Yep, I "took the header down the mineshaft" without even leaving the comfort of mi casa.
    And what a thrill ride that was.
    You may recall the flamers also liked to pounce on me 'cos I was reduced to WebTV for a spell. This forum appears to be kinder & gentler (tho not quite as much fun), but rules r rules.
    Along with legit posts, I'll still be looking to stir the cauldron some, while trying to remain within the limits. Why do they have to make it so hard fer us folks who are so misunderstood? Regards.
    bb.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

pics 11-711 and 11-712 in "cars and camping" are likely of Titus Canyon in Death Valley. The car in them matches the car in the Leadfield pics, which would make sense as Leadfield is in about the center of the Titus Canyon through way.

Neat pictures, but I kind of agree with the others in a way. Seems these pics would be of greater value to historical organizations or museums in these particular towns than trying to sell copies of them on line.

I for one applaud Mr. Osborn's efforts... These collections would more than likely be lost in the "archives" of a museum or historical society and not seen from there... The site says that he has taken the time to restore the old negatives and seems very upfront on what they are... I think it's also great that he wants to get the right information for the images portrayed... There's too much wrong information and history on the web and to have someone trying to get the correct info is again commendable... Just so you know - most of the best collections in museums were paid for to the people who went and got them... The majority of "contributed" material is crap... The best contribution to museums is money in the donations bin... Most museums use this money to go and buy good material or restore what they already have...

Kevin

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Exclamation Kindler? gentler? Wahaaa?

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob
    Yep, I "took the header down the mineshaft" without even leaving the comfort of mi casa.
    And what a thrill ride that was.
    You may recall the flamers also liked to pounce on me 'cos I was reduced to WebTV for a spell. This forum appears to be kinder & gentler (tho not quite as much fun), but rules r rules.
    Along with legit posts, I'll still be looking to stir the cauldron some, while trying to remain within the limits. Why do they have to make it so hard fer us folks who are so misunderstood? Regards.
    bb.
    Hey Bob,
    Nice to meet you. I've been exploring ghost towns snce I moved to Arizona 6 years ago, but only recently joined.
    I'm more than happy to supply my own ladle if you want to stir the pot (see my postings), I like to keep things lively.
    Brian

Page 2, second line, two center photos not labled appear to be possibly Jerome, Arizona. The white letter on the mountain top appears to be a "J." At first, Virginia City, Nevada and Randsburg, California came to mind, but Randsburg didn't/doesn't have such large buildings in town and Virginia City is more spread out.

Your history on Leadfield states the camp had its beginning in 1905. That is not true. Original strikes were made in the first decade of the 1900s, although no camp ever grew out of them. The few prospects in the canyon were abandoned. It wasn't until the 1920s (1926?) that C.C. Julian created Leadfield. Also your 2nd image labeled Leadfield is most definitely not so. Leadfield was situated in the bottom of a canyon, not on an open valley. That second photo appears very much like Chloride City, California, however a couple of elements of the image doesn't quite add up for me to be entirely certain of it. And when I click on the thumbnail for Leadfield image #3, it opens up Leadfield #1. Your other images labeled Leadfield do not open at all, but from what I see I'm suspicious they are not of that camp.

On page 6, the first two images labeled "Location Uncertain," and on which you asked "Bodie or Aurora?", they are most definitely Aurora. The courthouse/Esmeralda Hotel in the background is the key.

The first photo labeld as Virginia City is likely Silver City. You did state it was on the road up to Viriginia City. The second Virginia City photo is likely Gold Hill. These were separate communities with their own post offices and services, although all connected with the Virginia City mining district.

Thank you for sharing a glimpse of these, even if they are for sale. It was a nice time for the ghost towner to be living, as much of what was left of these ghost towns during that time was still around to be seen; today they may be either subtle traces or turned into a tourist attraction as in the case of Virginia City.
    Last edited by David A. Wright; 05-07-2006 at 08:28 AM.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Thread Information