Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderator

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dezdan
    I hate being critical to someone who has given us so much, but sometimes you have to. I know Todd is a busy person, but more needs to be done on this forum in regards to its content and moderation. The two moderators both flaked on the job and are no longer moderating. In order to run a successful forum, you HAVE to rule with an Iron Fist! My suggestions:

1. Delete ALL spammers accounts! By allowing them to stay, the message that spamming is okay is being given all while providing the spammers with hits and income! Just to note how bad the spam problem here is, 12 of the 30 members on the first page of the members list are spammers!

2. Disallow and DELETE all threads dealing with 'gravity hill' and other supernatural stuff! This site has NOTHING to do with that topic, and by allowing it to continue, the forum is going downhill fast! If folks want to chat about the supernatural and 'gravity hill', there are hundreds if not thousands of other websites to do that on! Again, this site has NOTHING to do with ghost and the supernatural, so why allow it? **** the supernatural folks were given their own forum and they still cannot keep their topics in it!

3. Appoint new moderators who will rule with Iron Fist and keep order and not flake! They need to be able to spot and kill spam and not related threads ASAP in order to keep order.

That is my $0.02 on the topic...

~Dezdan
    I'd like to add one more item: Nekkid pictures of women. Thanks.

I'm in total agreement with everyone that has posted on this thread. Herbal supplements/Russian nesting dolls/Paranormal activities may be great things, but deserve their own sites: Not this one.

2nd of all, I greatly appreciate the information that the regular posters provide. I'm amazed at the amount of research that you all put into your posts. A lot of times, I read Johnnies posts about places that I've been to, and think "Wow, I didn't know anything about that historical gem!"

3rd, you've probably noticed that I don't post often. A lot of that has to do with me not wanting to put info into the hands of people that might ruin a historical site, hurt themselves, or (shudder) make it popular. I'm a 3rd generation ghost towner with close to 40 years experience on the subject, and I think I've gained another 40 from reading you guys well researched/well informed posts.

Thanks,
    Goat

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Thumbs up Moderater

I hate being critical to someone who has given us so much, but sometimes you have to. I know Todd is a busy person, but more needs to be done on this forum in regards to its content and moderation. The two moderators both flaked on the job and are no longer moderating. In order to run a successful forum, you HAVE to rule with an Iron Fist! My suggestions:

1. Delete ALL spammers accounts! By allowing them to stay, the message that spamming is okay is being given all while providing the spammers with hits and income! Just to note how bad the spam problem here is, 12 of the 30 members on the first page of the members list are spammers!

2. Disallow and DELETE all threads dealing with 'gravity hill' and other supernatural stuff! This site has NOTHING to do with that topic, and by allowing it to continue, the forum is going downhill fast! If folks want to chat about the supernatural and 'gravity hill', there are hundreds if not thousands of other websites to do that on! Again, this site has NOTHING to do with ghost and the supernatural, so why allow it? **** the supernatural folks were given their own forum and they still cannot keep their topics in it!

3. Appoint new moderators who will rule with Iron Fist and keep order and not flake! They need to be able to spot and kill spam and not related threads ASAP in order to keep order.

~Dezdan
    Very well put Dezdan, and thanks Goat, for the comment on our stories, Makes feel we good to hear from all you fellow ghosttowners.

Sheila & Johnnie

I just got another PM from ghosttowns, I tried to reply but the mail box is full. I was going to suggest to him or them to make some of the regulars here moderators. I think the ones who use this site the most will be able to do some good here. From what I gather, most of the salty dogs try to keep it on the subject. And who better to regulate than the regulaters, ya know. Plus with one or two deticated moderators, things happen, life happens, people go places and do things, your not going to keep them forever. With a few around it won't be so bad if one or two skip town. The only problem I forsee with that is moderators deleting too much. Like Dezdan wants to get rid of all of the paranormal guys, where as I think some are ok as long as they are in the other section and they are with in reason. The gates of Mell would of been lost forever if those little ******** were entirely gone. So all and all I think we should all lend a hand in doing this if GT.com will let it happen.
    Last edited by coolguy0621; 05-21-2006 at 10:42 AM.
    Andy

I nominate Dezdan!!

Seriously folks. I rarely visit this forum anymore, for my own time reasons, and would love if a few of you regulars took over the reins.

I'll be asking Todd to remove me as a moderator and suggest to him that he look to some of your regulars.

Also, a set of rules that is enforced would be good, but not many read the rules, so you will be deleting many potentially positive contributors.

So, after 2+ years of trying, it's time for me to step aside and let the more regular visitors to the forum take over.

The regulars on here are a great bunch of people, so I have no doubt things will be better off in the long run.

Eric A. Mayer

~Dezdan
    "The Desert is my Church and Hunting is my God" - EAM

**** ya, thanks Eric.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mayer

Also, a set of rules that is enforced would be good, but not many read the rules, so you will be deleting many potentially positive contributors.
    Hence what I was saying about deleting too much...............
    Andy

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Well you wouldn't have to delete much. Do a search and you have numerous threads on the same stuff (paranormal boogey man stuff I mean) I'd give them the "other" thread all they want. If they can't realize that's were they should be posting, especially if you tell them, then their loss IMO. But you'd mostly be moving threads around to the right topic is all.

Most sites have a sticky topic at the top for FAQ/Posting rules. Most folks follow them. The ones that don't are asked nicely too and most will once you open their eyes for them. If they decide not too, then suspend, ban, send Bad Bob over to cup check them, whatever

I usually am or could be here off and on everyday myself while checking emails and doing website work. If at least a few of us can do that, then I think we'd be set.

I am online about 2-3 hours 5-6 days a week at work. With little actual work to do.

And your right GaryB, I think who ever they decide to use for this (if anyone) should all have I little talk about things like that. Because there is a fine line between mis-placed posts and really off topic stuff that needs to be removed.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron
    I think the Gravity Hill clowns irritate me more than the spammers, but neither should be allowed to contaminate a website like they do. I enjoy the conversations with most of the ghost town hunters/explorers/adventurers/ old west historians, etc. on this site and get really POed with the lack of moderation. As you said, there are many other sites that deal with the supernatural and paranormal, and don't understand why these people come to this website, other than the name, GHOSTTOWNS.com
    I completely agree! The 'Gravity Hill' folks bug the **** out of me! Especially when we ask them to post their 'stuff' elsewhere and they reply back slandering us.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy0621
    The only problem I forsee with that is moderators deleting too much. Like Dezdan wants to get rid of all of the paranormal guys, where as I think some are ok as long as they are in the other section and they are with in reason.
    Problem there is if you let one paranormal stay, you have to let them all stay! The question begs, what does the paranormal stuff have to do with this website? Last time I looked, 'Gravity Hill' had absolutely nothing to do with Ghost Towns!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mayer
    Seriously folks. I rarely visit this forum anymore, for my own time reasons, and would love if a few of you regulars took over the reins. I'll be asking Todd to remove me as a moderator and suggest to him that he look to some of your regulars.
    Thanks for chiming in Eric! Rereading my post, I didn't intend for it to sound as if I was bashing you, only noting that you were no longer around to moderate.

~Dezdan

Thread Information