Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power's Cabin in the Gauliro Mtns.

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Power's Cabin in the Gauliro Mtns.

Has anyone in recent times hiked into Rattlesnake Canyon to the Power's Cabin south of Klondyke, Arizona?

This is the site of the shootout between the two Power brothers John and Tom and Lawmen which occured in 1918.

I did so with a friend back in 1991 and the cabin had just been restored by the forest service.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Ghostdancer..................Power's Garden and Cabin were on my to-do list this past winter, but never seemed to get there. Can you get to it from the Mammoth/Copper Canyon side? I know there's plenty of 4WD roads in the area, which I tend to enjoy, anyway. Any info would be appreciated.Thanks..........

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron
    Ghostdancer..................Power's Garden and Cabin were on my to-do list this past winter, but never seemed to get there. Can you get to it from the Mammoth/Copper Canyon side? I know there's plenty of 4WD roads in the area, which I tend to enjoy, anyway. Any info would be appreciated.Thanks..........
    Yes, please. I'd like to go there as well. Is there anything else remaining?

Flatiron, Brian,

Getting to Power's Cabin requires a hike, a very long one. We set out early in the morning and it was late in the afternoon when we reached the cabin. We did this as a back packing trip. To get to the trail head there's a road running south from Klondyke; don't recall how many miles. As I recall the last few miles required 4WD. As far as access from Mammoth I'm not familiar with any.

There is some mining equipment remaining along the way in. The Power's also had another cabin, part of which was still standing when we were there in spring of 1991. It is called the Power's home. This is some miles north of Power's Cabin and going in you'll come upon this first.

There is a Power's Garden which is a forest service cabin that has some old equipment in and around; at least it did when we were there.

I would recommend the USGS topo Kennedy Peak. The Power's Mine is indicated on the map.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Tom............Thanks for the info on the Power's Cabin. I'll check it out in the fall. I've heard it's possible to get within 1 mile of the cabin with a serious 4WD, but I guess that's not the case. I definitely don't feel like doing a long hike when the temps are over the century mark. .........

Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron
    Tom............Thanks for the info on the Power's Cabin. I'll check it out in the fall. I've heard it's possible to get within 1 mile of the cabin with a serious 4WD, but I guess that's not the case. I definitely don't feel like doing a long hike when the temps are over the century mark. .........
    Perhaps there is a 4WD trail leading close. The forest service could give you that info.

As I say it's a very long hike, the trail itself is not particularly rough though. The country is beautiful and as remote as in the Powers time.

Tom

I drove to the cabin with my wife and three children in may of 1970.There was still part of the cabin standing and there was a mine shaft near by.We went into the mine shaft and discovered a partial case of dynamite which we didn't disturb.When we got back to Safford I notified the forest service and they disposed of it.There was cool fresh water there coming out of a spring.It was quite a beautiful place.I understand there is no longer a road in use as it is a designated wilderness area.There probably will not be many visitors since the hike would require an awful lot of water.

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I know one of the Powers family here in Bisbee. I will see what I can dig up.
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Quote Originally Posted by alan larabee View Post
    I drove to the cabin with my wife and three children in may of 1970.There was still part of the cabin standing and there was a mine shaft near by.We went into the mine shaft and discovered a partial case of dynamite which we didn't disturb.When we got back to Safford I notified the forest service and they disposed of it.There was cool fresh water there coming out of a spring.It was quite a beautiful place.I understand there is no longer a road in use as it is a designated wilderness area.There probably will not be many visitors since the hike would require an awful lot of water.
    My students and I hiked to Powers Mine and a couple of others in the area several times in the 70's. We also drove there once. When the Galiuro Wilderness was originally set-up, the road to Powers Mine was a corridor in the reserve. That was changed in a revision of the wilderness boundaries. So it is a long walk these days.

The first photo is of an Allis Chalmers stamp mill that was still standing in a 1974 photo that we took. It is no longer there. We had heard that it had been dismantled, flown out by DPS and ended up at the Mining Museum in Phoenix. One of my brother in laws is a DPS pilot and says that in those days they did not have cargo hooks and so it wasn't them who moved it. It is also not the stamp mill that is on display at the museum, so who knows what really happened to the old mill.

The other piece of machinery is a small ball mill. At one of the other nearby mines, there was an ore car, and a very old engine/compressor combination.

The "kids" in the photos are now in the 50's............

Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Toysx2; 04-15-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Incorrect statement

First - I can't offer anyting about how to get to the cabin site. I learned about Powers Cabin Shoot-out while spending summer of 2009 in White Mountains and was just fascinated...as well as very saddened by the incident. My inquiry is about a picture I saw (NOT photo). I wrote down artist's name but of course no idea where I put it. I'd really like to obtain picture (or print from it??) so am hoping someone will know and post who artist is - and possibly how to obtain. THank you!

Thread Information