Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Informal poll

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Smile Informal poll

With so many experienced GT hunters here, I was curious as to what preparations you go through, and the details of your actual adventure.

(Now, for the most part, I know the right things to do. Not interested in learning that. What do YOU do?)

How much water do you carry for a one day trip?

Do you bring any alchoholic beverages?

Do you usually eat while out exploring, or wait until you get back home?

Do you bring firearms with you, and if you do, what kind, and how many? Do you "plink" or target shoot out in the desert?

Do you usually travel alone, or in a group?

How carefully do you plan your route? Do you consult a detailed series of maps and a GPS, or do you just "wing it"?

Whats the worst thing thats ever happened to you out on the trail?

Do you take a first aid kit?

Have you ever had any weird or unusual things happen to you? Something that put the "ghost" in "ghost town"?

Have you ever trespassed because there was something really cool to see?

Ever get chased out of a site?

Ever witnessed illegal activity?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone I've offended here. I am an avid GT explorer, but I have a rather twisted sence of humor. I just can't help myself sometimes.

Good idea Brian - here's mine…

How much water do you carry for a one-day trip? 2 or 3 one-liter bottles…

Do you bring any alcoholic beverages? No - If it's an overnight, sometimes…

Do you usually eat while out exploring, or wait until you get back home? Sometimes I'll bring something but usually get so wrapped up in hunting and photoging that I forget to eat…

Do you bring firearms with you, and if you do, what kind, and how many? Do you "plink" or target shoot out in the desert? I do not, but my spotters do… (See next question.)

Do you usually travel alone, or in a group? I always take a "spotter" with me… Since a lot of my photography is taken from an RC airplane, I need a second pair of eyes to look for air traffic and where I'm stepping… Wouldn't look forward to try flying my airplane from a 100' down a mineshaft…

How carefully do you plan your route? Do you consult a detailed series of maps and a GPS, or do you just "wing it"? Topos, historic maps, and GPS… I like to "wing it" in a different way though... LOL

Whats the worst thing thats ever happened to you out on the trail? Knock on wood - the worst has only been not finding what I was looking for…

Do you take a first aid kit? This is something I've been deficient in doing properly…

Have you ever had any weird or unusual things happen to you? Something that put the "ghost" in "ghost town"? A couple - I was asked to photograph the Casa Malpais Pueblo ruins for the museum in Springerville… As we were starting the tour, there were 3 birds perfectly in-line riding the thermals above the ruins… The 2 outside birds were ravens, the one in the middle was a hawk… After the tour to find out what shots they were wanting, I readied my airplane in the parking lot and looked up to see where the birds were - they were gone… I flew over the ruins snapping away for 20 minutes and brought the airplane back in for a landing in the parking lot… I went over, picked up the airplane, and looked back up the ridge - the birds were back in the exact same spots and in the same order - raven, hawk, raven…

#2 was/is Rosemont Junction and kind of obscure… First I am a very experienced RC pilot - I don't crash anymore, I wear out airplanes… I have attempted to fly Rosemont Junction 3 times and my airplane has been smited from the air all 3 times… I've never even gotten 6 feet off the ground there… Get the airplane home and everything has worked perfectly every time… The NTSB would scratch their heads over this one… LOL

Have you ever trespassed because there was something really cool to see? yes

Ever get chased out of a site? No - but, I've been questioned and allowed to continue since I was only taking photographs from the ground… Cool thing with the airplane is being able to fly over areas to take photos that wouldn't be prudent to walk on…

Ever witnessed illegal activity? Yes - see photo - customs agents rounded up some illegals on the RR tracks next to where I was flying…

Again - good idea… I'm going now to get my First-Aid kit together…

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Watt Noise; 05-23-2006 at 07:26 AM.

One gallon is in the Jeep at all times and for a day trip I will throw another two gallons in.

For a day trip, no. For a weekend trip, yes.

Yes. I will pack at minimal one meal even if I have no plans to eat it.

Do you bring firearms with you, and if you do, what kind, and how many? Do you "plink" or target shoot out in the desert?
    Depends on the trip. If I am planning on plinking, I will bring several firearms with me ranging from a 10 gauge Spanish side by side to a Marlin .22 plinker. If I have no intention of plinking and just plan on hiking, I leave the weaponry at home, unless I am traveling alone in areas I don't feel comfortable being alone in; in which case I pack a .38 special.

For the most part in a group, meaning at least one other vehicle besides mine. Though there are times I travel alone until I meet up with the group.

How carefully do you plan your route? Do you consult a detailed series of maps and a GPS, or do you just "wing it"?
    Depends on the trip really; For the most part I prep with topo maps and waypoints, but there have been times where I have had to wing it and just follow the trail to where ever it leads me.

Found out the road I wanted to travel is within 'wilderness'. I have only gotten my jeep stuck once, but it wasn't that bad and with 30 or so minutes of work I was free. I blame myself for it as it was near 3am, I hadn't yet slept, I was alone, and I chose a bad line. If I hadn't gotten unstuck, I at least knew that within 5 hours there would be two vehicles on there way up the same trail.

Of course! One stays in the jeep at all times, and I have one in my hiking camelbak.

Have you ever had any weird or unusual things happen to you? Something that put the "ghost" in "ghost town"?
    Ummm, no!

Yes, though I don't advocate it. And I did get caught, but lucky for me the owner understood why I was there and let me off the hook and gave me a tour of the property. Sometimes it is better if you take the time to track someone down and ask permission first, so many better things can come of it.

Nope! Though I have avoided locations after I saw the 'campers' who were hanging around.

Yup!

~Dezdan

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x
    With so many experienced GT hunters here, I was curious as to what preparations you go through, and the details of your actual adventure.

(Now, for the most part, I know the right things to do. Not interested in learning that. What do YOU do?)

NON to Drink, I Don't drink water. I bring 7-up

A Tasty Cake or 2

Do you bring firearms with you,
    No

alone

Wing it, after home research

While exploring inside a dilapidated home, I tripped
    on my way out the door and sliced myself and broke my wrist.

I do now.

Yes, but, of course it was my imagination.

Never

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone I've offended here. I am an avid GT explorer, but I have a rather twisted sence of humor. I just can't help myself sometimes.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

How much water do you carry for a one day trip? 2 gallons for the Scout and a cooler full for drinking. I also have about 3 different water bladders for hiking if I'm doing any.

Do you bring any alchoholic beverages? Usually no more than a six pack if it's a camping trip. Days runs no and I won't do runs with folks that drink and drive simply because I have spent more time pulling drunks out of ditches than exploring

Do you usually eat while out exploring, or wait until you get back home? I usually take some sandwiches and chips, jerky, granola, that kind of stuff. My 4X club usually has a lunch break planned in to sit and shoot the bull.

Do you bring firearms with you, and if you do, what kind, and how many? Do you "plink" or target shoot out in the desert? If I'm on a club run no. Me and my wife out in the boonies and just us, yes, but mostly a .38 for protection. Not much of a plinker, if I'm in an area I can legally hunt a cougar or bobcat (in season) I might take a .22-250 rifle because you never know........

Do you usually travel alone, or in a group? Both, I do club runs with up to 30 vehicles. Usually go out alone or with one or two others to scout a new route or trail. Me and the missus do most of our GT'ing alone since the real good places are all a ways from Vegas.

How carefully do you plan your route? Do you consult a detailed series of maps and a GPS, or do you just "wing it"? Old way was with just maps. Didn't get lost much, but I did have issues with roads being moved by Mother Nature since the last mapping. Now I lay out on software and load it to the GPS and use it. Still have the maps for back up. I'm not the typical male, I love maps, can never have too many IMO.

Whats the worst thing thats ever happened to you out on the trail? My old POS truck broke down, got hot and started to overheat and as I was getting the water ready to pour on the radiator, the overflow bottle exploded and sprayed me with nice hot water. 2nd degree burns to my face and arms and hands. I sat in the truck soaking in the ice cooler till my Dad was able to come up (3 hours) and tow me back to Vegas. I also lost part of my thumb and tore my leg open on pyrite during that trip. It really was a bad trip

Do you take a first aid kit? Yes, always. Why? See above.

Have you ever had any weird or unusual things happen to you? Something that put the "ghost" in "ghost town"? Usually just a bat or mouse or unwelcome snake. Lots of weird noises mostly, usually always chalked up to animals scurrying about. Most of my weird (ghostly)experiences have happen in non-ghost town settings. Although I have had some deja vu feelings at some GT spots, and old cemeteries always give me weird sensations.

Have you ever trespassed because there was something really cool to see? Knowingly or intentionally I can't say I have, but then again I have been at spots with a "No Tress." sign that were reeeeeally old and the activity was looooong past. But I'm sure someone owned them, so maybe?

Ever get chased out of a site? Nope.

Ever witnessed illegal activity? Yep, but it was mostly ignorance, like folks metal detecting were they shouldn't be. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I caught someone destroying a site intentionally. I'd honestly say it depends on how many witness's I'd have to deal with. My conscience would leave me alone, but not sure my wife would......

Thanks in advance for any replies. You're welcome.

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone I've offended here.
    You should be as I find this rather prying information

I am an avid GT explorer, but I have a rather twisted sence of humor. I just can't help myself sometimes. Whatcha talkn' about Willis?
    Last edited by GaryB; 05-23-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Default Informal poll

How much water do I bring for a one day trip? Two gallons.

Do I bring alcoholic beverages? Only if camping overnight.

Do I eat while out exploring or wait until I get home? Will pack a lunch and snacks.

Do I bring firearms? Yes. What kind and how many? One Baby Eagle and a pit bull. Do I target shoot? Sometimes.

Do I usually go alone or in a group? A little bit of both.

How carefully do I plan routes? Do I use detailed maps and GPS or wing it? Again, a little bit of both.

Worst thing that ever happened? I was out exploring mines over the other side of the mountain from Frisco, UT and got a flat tire in the middle of the desert and my hubby neglected to put the tools to change the tire back in the trunk so I had to hike forever across the desert.

Do I bring a first aid kit? Yes, but it's custom made for a dog and toddler.

Any weird or unusual experiences? Came across a not so friendly ghost. See attached picture.

Ever trespassed to see something really cool? Yes.

Have I ever been chased out? Not yet.

Ever witnessed illegal activity? Other than me trespassing, not really. Saw some drugs here and there, that's it.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Depends on trip; at least a gallon.

Do you bring any alchoholic
    beverages?

I don't

Will bring a lunch if it's a long trip into a remote location. Sometimes we've camped out. Otherwise eat at a restaurant.

Yes, I take my S&W. Sometimes do a little shooting.

Done most of mine with two friends, but most of my recent visits have been on my own.

Have a collection of USGS topos. Try to find out as much about the area in advance.

Film jammed in my camera. Didn't realize it til later, but borrowed a friends negatives to get photos.

I think one of my friends has one that he's taken.

No.

Did so a few times long ago.

No.

No.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

How much water do you carry for a one day trip? At least two gallons for the vehicle and have a unopened gallon for me in a box. Always pack a couple two liter soda pop bottles of frozen water plus a canteen for my dog. In hotter weather I bring more.

Do you bring any alcoholic beverages? Seldom unless I have a toothache, then I bring a small bottle of Everclear.

Do you usually eat while out exploring, or wait until you get back home? Have food in the box. Depends on where going but often 50 miles from the nearest store so oftewn I bring food.

Do you bring firearms with you, and if you do, what kind, and how many? Have an AR-7 in the box. Only carry a firearm if I’m in Mohave Green territory and it ain’t winter (A 357 with Shot shells) or where I might encounter a skunk bear (Wolverine for you easterners) (Same 357 with regular ammo).

Do you "plink" or target shoot out in the desert. Seldom except to sight in before hunting season. Such trips are not exploring trips.

Do you usually travel alone, or in a group? Most of the time with only one vehicle, always with my dog and a friend or two.

How carefully do you plan your route? Do you consult a detailed series of maps and a GPS, or do you just "wing it"? Done both, usually have GPS and topos but get far afield sometimes.

Whats the worst thing thats ever happened to you out on the trail? Which experience was the worst. Stuck in the sand, mud, snow. Vehicle stopped running, broke transmission, drive line, engine, fuel pump, .... Sliding sideways in a snow drive with 100 foot canyon in the direction of the slide... Walked out many miles, many times.

Do you take a first aid kit? Yup and I’ve used it.

Have you ever had any weird or unusual things happen to you? Something that put the "ghost" in "ghost town"? Yes. Several times.

Have you ever trespassed because there was something really cool to see? Sure - If it ain’t posted I trespass even if I know it is private land, seldom trespass if posted with a new sign.

Ever get chased out of a site? Yes, had guns pointed at me, been threatened, been harassed by Wackenhut Security near Rachel, Armed soldiers, near military bases, other people who thought they were justified.

Ever witnessed illegal activity? Besides those who threatened me on public land with guns, the Wackenhut Bozos who think anyone near Area 51 gives a fat rats *** what they are doing at the ranch, the silly soldiers who can’t read a map (See above), I’ve run into meth labs (Scary people), artifact thieves, and a couple poachers. (I reported all of the above but only know the guy who pointed a guy at me when I was with a BLM employee on government business got a visit from the US Marshall and he pleaded down to a misdemeanor.
    Last edited by Bob; 05-25-2006 at 03:00 PM.
    Yet Another Bob

I carry a minimum of 3 gallons of water, pluas whatever else will fit in the cooler for a day trip. I carry another 7.5 gallon container full if it even looks like the trip might go into extra innings.

No alcohol for the day trips, possibly some for the longer trips.

I'm a beef jerky addict, so that always makes the trip, and usually I'll packsome other food too. MRE's always in the truck.

I always carry my Beretta 70s with 3 clips and a hundred rounds of .22's. Great gun! If I'm someplace where there may be something bigger than a threatening rattler, I bring a larger caliber. Always. Yes I do plink, quite often.

I always go with my wife and dogs, and usually with a small group of GT'ers. On the off chance that everyone breaks down or gets stuck, we have our dirt bikes in the back of the truck.

If it's a trip near Vegas, I usually just take a guidebook and a DeLorme gazette. But I've researched downed aircraft by writing to the USAF, and waiting 6-8 months for a reply, and mapping the route on topo's (yes, including elevation changes!). Lord help me, I'm a researchin' nerd! And I'm a nerd that needs to decide on a GPS unit, that's for sure...

I've broken down a few times, but that's about the worst that's happened.

The first aid kit sits right next to the survival first aid book in the truck at all times. (Hey, you can make a floatation device out of a pair of pants according to the book!).

The only unusual thing that's happened to me while GTing is hearing some odd "scratching, crumbling" noises while camping near the western cliffs in Rainbow Wash near Delamar. The noises drove me and my dog crazy all night. In the morning, I could see a herd of goats on the cliffs above, kicking rocks and such down.

Forgive me, for I have trespassed.

I've never been chased off, but have seen 2 different SCARY paramilitary groups. The first one, I actually talked to a guy from the group, who was very suspicious of outsiders (by the time that I saw him, I couldn't turn tail and run). I ended up following him to his Dad's place for dinner (while me and my buddy sweated bullets). The guy was cool, but him and Pop were obviously nutty. I also refused to take off my jacket, because I had my gun in the pocket. I think he knew it too. Everything turned out OK, but that was the last trip my buddy Ken would go on with me. That was near the Hualapai Mansion. The dad lived near there as well.

Goat

5 gallon in the truck and about 4-6 qts on the body, for one day.

Depends on the type of the trip, normally yes, but on backbacking trips no.

I never go for less than a couple days, so I cook up a storm. (No one complains)

Yes, more often since the Shasta incident, but I plink and target shoot. When I go out I'm ready for anything. But if the trip doesn't involve shooting, I just carry my H&K USP compact .45 for protection.

Almost always in a group, mostly 1-2 trucks.

I like to plan out a trip well, and I use GPS and Maps.

I had a friend go down with what I thought was a heat stroke, but turned out to be just some bad heat exertion. I had to carry him back a couple miles and then go back later to get our packs and carry both of them back too.

I'm an EMT, it's hard not to.

Yes, but not in a ghost town yet.

Plead the 5th.

Plead the 5th.

Plead the 5th.
    Last edited by coolguy0621; 05-26-2006 at 03:16 PM.
    Andy

Thread Information