Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third attempt at Black Diamond

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Unhappy Third attempt at Black Diamond

Well, I made my third attempt to find the elusive Black Diamond mine today. Carefully starting my mileage calulations from the cemetary, as suggested, ater 6 miles I came upon...nothing.

I decided to pursue Pearce road as it continues West to see what I could see. I came across the Grapevine ranch and asked Annie about the BDM.

She gave me detailed instuctions in the dirt
    which I quickly commited to my air tight memory
    and off I went.

She said it was on a trail to the left, just after getting to the top of the mountain (on Middlemarch pass), just after starting my decent.

Sure enough, my eyes spied a trail up the mountain to the left and a pile of tailings. (See first picture)

Soon after, I came upon that trail to the left. See the next 2 pictures. I took many pictures of the trail, in case someone here can identify it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default The saga continues

The next two pictures are of the turn off to the left, presented here in the hope someone can identify the location and tell me if I'm close.

At the second fork on the trail, I was greeted by the following sign, which of course made it all the more interesting! (next pic)

The VW did a great job for a mile or so, when the trail took a very bad turn for the worse. The rocks were very loose and jagged, and getting larger. The trail was getting very steep in places, and I just didn't have a low enough gear to deal with it. It was either burn out the clutch or haul *** and hang on.

In order to keep the vehicle moving at an rpm the engine can make enough power with, I was moving at a minimum of maybe 15 mph--way too fast for the trail I was on. Now, to add to the adventure, the Kubelwagen's transmission will pop out of gear over large bumps, so it was one hand on the shifter, one wresting the steering. Yee ha...

When I finally found a place wide enough to turn around, I turned back and quit while the quitting was good.

I wonder if I was in the right place this time?

I think if I'm ever going to get to the bottom of this, I'm going to have to sell Hitler's revenge and get an ATV. That should make these really bad trails a snap.

By the way, I also passed another, very interesting trail a couple more miles down on the left (see last pic) but Iwas too busted up and worn out to try it. Does it look familiar?

Yeah, all these trails kinda look the same, don't they?

All comments, good or bad, welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

brian10x..........It sounds like it's about time to form a posse and resolve this situation.I know you choose to travel solo, but maybe it's time to bring in reinforcements and get this one off your list. Whatta ya think?I'm sure the posse would bring their own vehicles, as there wouldn't be any room in the Schnitzelmobile with "Sausage" and the marital aids, etc..........

Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron
    brian10x..........It sounds like it's about time to form a posse and resolve this situation.I know you choose to travel solo, but maybe it's time to bring in reinforcements and get this one off your list. Whatta ya think?I'm sure the posse would bring their own vehicles, as there wouldn't be any room in the Schnitzelmobile with "Sausage" and the marital aids, etc..........
    I already made the announcement and the invite several weeks ago. I was the only one there.

I think I'm putting the Krautmobile on EBay tomarrow. Then I'm looking for a serious 4x4 ATV.

Default Black Diamond Townsite and Mine

I've tried twice now to access the Black Diamond but keep running into locked gates about a mile or two from the town. (It is in the National Forest so access should not be blocked). As far as I can see now, if you leave from Tombstone take Gleeson Rd to Ghost Town Trail. Heading toward Pierce and some time after the Courtland jail you will pass Kil Ranch Rd. (do not turn here) go on to W. Humphries Rd turn onto that and turn left again on Lightning Rd. Now this does require 4 WD as the roads are quite bad in places. Apparently you'll have to drive some distance the trails become obscured on Google earth and you do drive in washes at times. Make sure no rain is expected before attempting. I haven't tried this route yet but if anyone does, let me know if you get there. LeMarch Rd is the best Road but the gate is locked there. Good Luck!

If it's in the National Forest and not supposed to be blocked, get a lockpick set and take some locksmithing classes. My husband's getting it down pretty good.
    Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    It's not fun 'till I get hurt!

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

You didn't look hard enough.

Joel actually found it!
    This is a great post.

<

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthr...=black+diamond
    Last edited by Vulture; 11-04-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Default tailings pile

The tailings pile you have the picture of , from the looks of it, you were on the wrong side of the mountain. Lemarch rd. is on BLM and Forest Service property and has to be public accessable. I don't know if they still have it on their websites but the forest service and blm used to have a page about public service roads. It probably wasn't the right thing to do, but if I came across a gate on public land with a lock on it the handy dandy bolt cutters came out from under the seat and a laminated copy of that page was taped to the gate. If anyone uses this method, be sure to find something to secure the gate chain with once the lock is off. Also make ****** sure it is a public lands road otherwise you're looking at a destruction of property charge along with tresspassing. It sucks that ranchers want to toss locks all over everything to keep people out but in their defence it also sucks having to chase cattle down because some disrespectful jacka** left a gate hanging open for no other reason other than they were just to lazy to get back out of their vehicle and close it. I always found that if you have another person with you managing gates was so much easier, they get out, open the gate, you drive through, they close the gate and get back in (who says girlfriends aren't good for anything!).

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I try to be respectful to Private Property. Being on foot makes all that unwanted.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

what a mystery! I want to get down there and find it myself now! lol....

Thread Information