Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Destinations in WA

Default Looking for Destinations in WA

I'm planning on doing some hikes with a friend or two over the summer, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good ghost town sites in Washington, preferrable the western half, to hike to.

I already have Monte Cristo down as a destination, but can anyone recommend any others?
    Easily distracted.

Current distraction: Railroad Depots

The western part of the state is so wet that there is not a lot of stuff left. We/ve found some rail beds and some piers left from trestle in Brooklyn. There are some partial ghosts but you can drive to those.
    Franklin is interesting for the history but other than the cemetery and some history markers it's pretty much gone. Nice walk though.
    There are some east of the mountains that are not too far east. A site to check out for those is
    http://www.ghosttownsusa.com/index.htm

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I've been to the Seattle area five times in as many years to visit a relative who lives in Bellevue and have checked up on ghost towns there. There doens't seem to be that many, but I have been to Liberty east of Seattle which was of interest.

During one of my visits I drove to the other side of Puget Sound to Dungeness which has an intersting old school. Pt. Gamble is not a ghost town, but an old historic community which is worth a visit.

At Port Discovery is the remain of an old mill in a quite photogenic setting.

Now, when I visit again I'm determined to see Lester. And yes, I'd like to check out Monte Cristo.

Tom
    Last edited by Ghostdancer; 06-05-2006 at 06:36 AM.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Thanks for the advice. Over the past few days, I've actually compiled a few destinations, namely Lester, Nighthawk, Clallam Bay, and a site at Goat Lake.

Of course, an interestin, but forgotten ghost town is my home community of Newcastle, which features the extensive site of an old mining community.
    Easily distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlane500
    Thanks for the advice. Over the past few days, I've actually compiled a few destinations, namely Lester, Nighthawk, Clallam Bay, and a site at Goat Lake.

Of course, an interestin, but forgotten ghost town is my home community of Newcastle, which features the extensive site of an old mining community.
    Do you mean Newcastle as in the community next to Bellevue?
    Last edited by Ghostdancer; 06-05-2006 at 09:49 PM.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Newcastle is now an incorporated town. The hillside is covered with houses and McMansions. The park is still a park of course. Some club has added signs and historical info about the area within the park. The huge old mine shaft is covered with a grate and I believe a cement barrier (can't remember). The cemetery is fenced and locked. If you are interested in going to the cemetery you need to call the caretaker and make an appointment.
    If you havn't been there in a while - it's changed!!
    There is one original house left. Heard tell that the gentleman living there has a barn/garage of historical artifacts from the area. Also that he has some pretty good stories. I'd love to meet that guy and take a ramble through his stuff!
    I've got an interesting book put out by the Seattle Times about the history of the Eastside, called A Hidden Past.
    Talks about Black Diamond, Bellevue, Woodinville, Etc. You could probably request a copy from the Seattle Times.

Quote Originally Posted by NWNative
    Newcastle is now an incorporated town. The hillside is covered with houses and McMansions. The park is still a park of course. Some club has added signs and historical info about the area within the park. The huge old mine shaft is covered with a grate and I believe a cement barrier (can't remember). The cemetery is fenced and locked. If you are interested in going to the cemetery you need to call the caretaker and make an appointment.
    If you havn't been there in a while - it's changed!!
    There is one original house left. Heard tell that the gentleman living there has a barn/garage of historical artifacts from the area. Also that he has some pretty good stories. I'd love to meet that guy and take a ramble through his stuff!
    I've got an interesting book put out by the Seattle Times about the history of the Eastside, called A Hidden Past.
    Talks about Black Diamond, Bellevue, Woodinville, Etc. You could probably request a copy from the Seattle Times.
    When you drive out from the area where my cousin lives and turn right you go just a short distance and you're in Newcastle. It's right where that Safeway and Blockbuster Video are located. I didn't know anything about a mineshaft being there.

Tom

It was in Cougar Mtn Park. There are quite a few historical sites left in the park. Also, do you know about the old Nike bases up the way from there?

There were quite a few towns on cougar mtn - Rainbow town, Red Town, etc. Most of the sites have been destroyed by building.
    The area is littered with Mine shafts. A few years ago the state/city started capping them off because people were going into them. A lot of the old coal mines were shafts straight down. Plus they often emit deadly gases. I;m not sure if people actually died but there were rumors when I was grosing up in the area. Matter of fact the property I grew up on had three open shafts when we moved in. The folks buried two of them. I found remains of sunken tunnels in the woods. Once I was even dumb enough to go into a nice round depression, then the earth started to move, slipping slowly down the slope. I was up the side so fast! I have no doubt that I had found the mysterious third shaft!!

Yeah, up at the trailhead in the park, you've got the remains of the old hotel, of which a corner of the boiler room still stands, the foundations of the old Bagley steam donkey engine, the old site of a mill pond, the Ford Slope mine entrance and the old dam. If you hike down Coal Creek, you follow an old rail grade that leads eventually to the remains of an old turntable. Along the main road near the trail head is an open field where the old Newcastle School was once located.

Farther west you have the Baima House, which is the only remaining company house, near an old ore elevator, and a few other buildings from old Newcastle.

Also, a recently open trail follows the grade of a mining railroad that headed for Lake Washington, following it, you eventually reach the site of an old railroad tressel, of which the footing pits are still visible.
    Easily distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by NWNative
    It was in Cougar Mtn Park. There are quite a few historical sites left in the park. Also, do you know about the old Nike bases up the way from there?

There were quite a few towns on cougar mtn - Rainbow town, Red Town, etc. Most of the sites have been destroyed by building.
    The area is littered with Mine shafts. A few years ago the state/city started capping them off because people were going into them. A lot of the old coal mines were shafts straight down. Plus they often emit deadly gases. I;m not sure if people actually died but there were rumors when I was grosing up in the area. Matter of fact the property I grew up on had three open shafts when we moved in. The folks buried two of them. I found remains of sunken tunnels in the woods. Once I was even dumb enough to go into a nice round depression, then the earth started to move, slipping slowly down the slope. I was up the side so fast! I have no doubt that I had found the mysterious third shaft!!
    Just so I'm not confusing locations; we are talking about Newcastle just due south of Bellevue? Where is the park located?

Tom

Thread Information