Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned railroad site

Got a place up here called Tokeland. Don't know what they are best at but. . .

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wonder if anyone from Tokeland has ever been to Weedpatch......nah... probably not. Most likely went to Grass Valley instead.
    bb.
    Last edited by bad bob; 06-08-2006 at 09:24 PM.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob
    Here in Bakersfield, we have the best...ahhhh, the best....ahhh....Oil, Gas, and Tire Centers... no... no..I guess Texas is better. Hmmmm well we have the best....ahhhh.. ya know, come to think of it this place don't have Jack S#*t.

That does it! I'm movin' to either Weedpatch, (best weeds), or Buttonwillow (best location close to I-5).
    bb.
    According to the spring site, you have a few close to you, something to check out.
    And Bakersfield had the best 1/2 mile asphalt oval on the Left Coast till it closed down last year Have many a fond memory of that place though.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Ya Gary
    Lotsa folk upset about loss of Mesa Marin Speedway. Get this. Mesa was there a long time before residential development, and there was of course nobody around fer several miles. Then as new neighbors got closer and closer, the complaints over noise grew until the Mesa owner finally gave in.
    But jes learned recently (a few months ago) that Mesa owner will be building a new raceway in this area but far from the "madding crowd." That is until the developers catch up. By then, speculation is that raceways will not involve ground-based vehicles.....oooooeeeeeeoooooo!!!
    The hot springs are located on the way to Lake Isabella about 42 miles NE of here.
    Please let me know if you'll be in this area for future racing fun or whatever. Would enjoy meeting you & the 'ol chain. Dinner on me of course....the best McD has on their menu.....NOT! Actually there's quite a few good eateries here. Some even have tables & chairs.

bb.
    Last edited by bad bob; 06-09-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Hey BB, is the Rancho Bakersfield still standing? (Whew, what a flashback!) Man, does my family have a history with that place. My grandpa had to jump out the window (wearing only a towel), and run around and get a room key when he accidentally pulled the knob off the bathroom door and couldn't get out. About 30 years later, I dropped a guy off there (we were rebuilding a B of A) about nightfall when...POP!, POP!, POP!, a gunfight broke out!

Ahhh, good times, good times...

Goat

LOL Goat
    No, the Rancho is long gone and now has a brand new Food4Less in it's place.
    That's on the west side of Union Ave. You may recall an arch over the Ave. with BAKERSFIELD in huge letters. They were gonna demolish that along with the motel. But Country music legend Buck Owens (RIP) bought the sign, refurbished, (& shortened it a bit), and installed it over Sellect Ave, where his Crystal Palace is located, and can still be seen today. Buck passed away recently, but many folk come by to have their pics taken under the sign and at the C. Palace.
    The original building on the east side of Union Ave, that the arch was connected to, is still there, as is the gunfire, knifings, and other miscellaneous crimes typical of a "booming" metropolis.
    bb.

Wheeeeew...how in Hades did all this merge into Abandoned RR Sites?
    bb

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

It's what you call a high jacking Besides it's the "other" category.

I doubt I'll be in Bakersfield again till the new track opens (tentatively next year) as my friend runs Nascar sanctioning races. But once that place is open, we should be going there often, hopefully. IIRC it will be between Button Willow and B-Field.

Oildale is a hoot, but not quite the 4 1/2 hour trip

Fine, you ol' hijacker, an' I didn't really xpect you to hop in yer ground rocket, and highball it over here jes to have dinner at McD's.

Oildale is sorta like another level of being. Especially after dark. Also, there's an underpass on the west entrance, and I have personally xperienced dramatic weather changes jes going from Bfield to Oildale. Dark & raining on one side, sunny & bright on the other. This in the distance of apprx 100 yds.

Long time Bfield residents only go over to Oildale when necessary, then mostly during daytime hrs.
    Hadn't heard where new track was to be located, but that area is mostly farmland. Good choice though, since doubtful many beasts will be whining about the noise. You are correct tho, not much over here worth 4.5 hr spin from Sin City. Or from anywhere else FTM.
    bb.
    Last edited by bad bob; 06-09-2006 at 09:43 PM.

badbob,GaryB..........Nevada does have a bunch of hot springs, that's for sure.There are some pretty impressive thermals, and hot springs, in the Long Valley area of the Eastern Sierras in California. Casa Diablo near Mammoth Lakes generates power, or so Iv'e been told, and there are some really neat hot tubs in the valley.I think there's also another spot in No. Ca, near Mt. Lassen, or Shasta, that has some pretty neat thermals. Of course, none of these areas can match the sheer beauty of Bakersfield............
    Last edited by Flatiron; 06-10-2006 at 03:58 AM.

Thread Information