Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaker Breaker....CB Radio?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Breaker Breaker....CB Radio?

Can anyone suggest a decent CB radio to have installed in our Jeep? Right now we don't have any means of communication if we should run into a problem somewhere out in the back country. Do you think we'd have any luck raising someone on the CB if there was a problem?
    We don't want a cell phone, we tried one several months back, but found we were too isolated to get a signal, even here at our house.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

CB's can be very limited as well, especially in hilly country. If you are really out and about in desolate places, maybe a HAM radio would be better? You'd have to ask someone about that though, we have any users around here? Myself, I'd like to get a satellite phone, but they are still pretty hefty for monthly service. If they'd go to a pay per use deal, I'd be all over it.

But back to the topic. Most all CB's do the same thing, just some have niftier doo dads to play with. They are regulated by law for their power output, so unless you get an illegally hopped up one, find one you like and go with that. When it comes to CB's, spending the money on high quality cable and good antennas is the key. Even those two items are cheap by comparison. Only doo dad I have is a weather band. I also upgraded to a powered mic and external speaker so I don't have to yell and can hear others while driving down rough roads. Other than that, I like Uniden and Cobra myself, others might have a favorite as well.

Look here for all you'd ever want to know, plus they are in your neck of the woods: http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Most major truck stops carry all you need to do it yourself and they have pretty reasonable prices as well. Look for the nearest Petrol or Flying J.

Biggest issue is you need to have it tuned, which involves finding a suitable location on your jeep that the system likes.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thanks for the good information Gary. I looked at that site you posted, they've got some really good information, I'll read more of it tomorrow and then pass the techno-gauntlet to my Hubby, it's too complicated for me. We'll want to keep it as simple as possible both for ease of use and $$ (retired-fixed-income) but, we do want it to be effective. Some of the areas we Jeep to are pretty remote and mountainous, if there's a problem, we don't want to wind up being buzzard bait somewhere out in the Arizona boonies.

you can get a good CB for around 50 bux. We as in my friends and i use them all the time when where wheeling. If you get a good quality name brand such as cobra or uniden (sp) you will do fine. Thay are 4 watt stock and can be peaked and tweeked but thats not legal you can usualy find some one in range durring the day un less your way out there.

good luck with the shoping

P.S. the antenna is as important as the radio it self if not more so

Cool CB Radio

You know I seem to be running in to more and more people in the backcountry using Marine Band radios. They seem to have more range than a CB and a way of getting around the Ham radio License. Of course I am not sure what the FCC would have to say about this. Not to hard to miss however, most of them come with white antenna masts.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Thumbs up Ham Radio

I got into Ham radio for this very reason.

CB's and cell phones are mostly useless in remote areas. Ham radios can use repeaters that can easily cover large areas, and even multiple states in some cases.

I have found very few places where I wasn't within range of at least one repeater, no mater how far off the beaten path I was. I've even been able to talk to my family back home when I was 200-300 miles away in some cases.

It takes a lot more to be a Ham than a CBer, but it's the only way (other than satellite phones) to be able to get help and stay in communication when you're out there.

hmmmm it sounds complicated and expensive, maybe we'll have to learn to either yodel or use smoke signals.
    Name:  Christo_pull_hair.gif
Views: 728
Size:  613 Bytes

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Drifter
    You know I seem to be running in to more and more people in the backcountry using Marine Band radios. They seem to have more range than a CB and a way of getting around the Ham radio License. Of course I am not sure what the FCC would have to say about this. Not to hard to miss however, most of them come with white antenna masts.

I was wondering about those after seeing some at the Bass Pro Shop. I wasn't sure they'd work on land, figured they used some wacky frequency that was only set up for coastal or something similarly restrictive.

Cool sat phones.........

Hi guys,...just wanted to add my 2 cents.....well, maybe it's only worth 1 cent..... you can rent a sat phone here http://www.satellitephonesource.com/phone-rentals.html I've never tried one, but think about it often, their about 39 bucks a week,..... but might be worth looking into ........

That's okay Laura, just remember you can't roller skate through a buffalo herd and all will be fine

Thread Information