Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaker Breaker....CB Radio?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    That's okay Laura, just remember you can't roller skate through a buffalo herd and all will be fine
    Why not??

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I think it's because fast movement startles the herd, and they begin flapping their wings. If too frightened, they take flight. You know what's next.....consider bird droppings, then......
    bb.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Kewl...now I know for sure where buffalo wings come from. Thanks BB for answering a question that's kept me awake at night...pondering......

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Glad to be of some help anyway.
    bb

Gary B,

Actually the Marine radio system is a simplex VHF system (radio to radio w/o repeater) and because of the distance at sea between ships they were made to carry a far signal. Technology now has them as strong as 30 watts.

In fact a high end system will have scanning capeability, gps, distress gps, weather channels w/ alert; all in a weather proof housing. Again, I don't believe the FCC appreciates the fact that more and more off roaders are adding this technology to their rigs... and they are not to hard to spot since the boating industry is infactuated with the white colored antenna masts.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob
    consider bird droppings, then......
    bb.
    Exactly, ever tried to roller skate through a field of fresh cow pies?

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Drifter
    Gary B,

Actually the Marine radio system is a simplex VHF system (radio to radio w/o repeater) and because of the distance at sea between ships they were made to carry a far signal. Technology now has them as strong as 30 watts.
    Do you know, are they as susceptible to terrain as CB's tend to be? Curvature of the Earth is one thing, but a freaking big mountain is another

I only wonder for kicks. Likely will stay with my CB if I ever get my weird interference issue figured out.

Unknown how they work over our type of terrain. I would probably guess pretty well packing all that power and being that a lot of off roaders are adding them to their rigs. No experience here with them however.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Default It doesn't matter how well your Radio Works

It doesn't matter how well your radio works unless there is someone with a similar radio within range. I usually carry three radios and have been in places where two of them were worthless. The third is Amateur Radio (Ham) and I can always find someone if I need help. Today, unless you want to take the time to get a Ham License, consider one of those Satellite Cell Phones.

The advantage of some VHF and UHF radios is there are repeaters placed on mountain tops. Also, Frequency Modulation (FM) is clearer than CB with either Amplitude Modulation (AM) or Single Side Band (SSB). While any Radio Frequency (RF) will bend a little, some like Ultra High Frequency will bounce off mountains, around concrete walls in buildings and that is where Cell phones operate. The other extreme is AM Radio which follows the ground over mountains. Other than Amateur Radio there is no one FCC licensed service that covers the complete spectrum.

That said, your decision to purchase a radio should be driven by what your traveling buddies have for a radio.
    Yet Another Bob

Actually UHF is almost strictly line of sight ( used mostly for ground to air comm.), VHF can bounce and bend a little more but no more than 10 miles within pretty good line of sight ( with no huge mountains in the way) unless you have a serious amplified antenna. HF ( high freq.) which is 2-29.999MHZ for the most part, is very bendable, because it goes all the way to the ionosphere or however you spell it, and bounces back to earth, it also bounces off of mountains or any large structure. On a good day with ideal solar and weather conditions I have talked from Texas to Southern Cali, and I've heard of longer over water. The only down fall is the antennas you need to set up, there is alot of math involved, plus take off angles and the antenna's are pretty big and definatly not mobile. I have played with mobile ones but they have way less copper and therefore less range but still better than the other freq. ranges with time and the correct antenna. I used HF alot in the good ole USMC for long range Comm. but I'm sure that is used differently in the civ. world.

One thing I'm not clear on is even if you have the ability to set up something nice, who exactly would you call for help and what is there freq's, and are your radios even able to meet their freq. range? (with Hf the freq range will change your antenna alot)

I know there is a list or guide, I just havent bothered to see if it's online, I'm sure it is somewhere, any input on this??

Ps. this field has always interested me, and I am always wanting learn more about radio's and different comm. toys and abilitys, but I haven't had a chance to explore HAM yet.

And thanks for your post Bob, you got me going over here!
    Last edited by coolguy0621; 06-28-2006 at 07:54 AM.
    Andy

Thread Information