Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mine Gods have again forsaken me

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Angry Mine Gods have again forsaken me

Yes, I tried again to find the elusive Black Diamond mine today.

Re-interpeting Kurt Werner's instructions yet another way, and utop a brand new ATV, away I went.

This time, I think I hit paydirt! At 5.5 miles from another interpretation of the correct starting point, I encountered LeMarch road, which seemed to approximate his instructions rather closely.

After a mile or so, I gazed upon a windmill, as he said I would, after passing through a gate, which he mentioned. Now my heart was racing!

Alas, only to be stopped by a no tresspassing sign at a locked gate.

Not to be one to give up so easily, I attempted the steep trail "Annie" at the Grapevine ranch had suggested last time I was there. The very trail that tried to kill my VW. In all fairness, she did say the main trail was now closed, but the "back way " was possible.

The first picture is of that gate, the second of the second "back door" trail I attempted.

(To be continued)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by brian10x; 06-17-2006 at 05:13 PM.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Angry Part 2

So, I'm climbing a trail that would make a mountain goat burst a spleen, and its got a few forks here and there. I don't have the energy to explore them all today, but I eliminate two after investigating minor mines there.

Its never a total loss when you find something interesting. The first picture shows the ATV at the entrance to the mine, then deeper. (Why didn't I bring a flashlight???)

Next is inside the mine looking out, and a scenic shot that , at least through binoculars, reveals more interesting trails.

The last pics show a spray painted sign which I take as the name of the mine.

I guess I'll give this one a rest for a while, untill I can unearth a few more clues.
    Brian

Angry Last pic

There wasn't enough room at my last upload, so this is my last shot:

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Nice pictures! I can identify with your frustration on not finding the mine you had intended, but as you say, it wasn't a lost trip cause you did find an interesting looking mine. Any idea what was mined there? (I wish we had that ATV of yours...very nice!) It was a hot day in Arizona today, hope you had some mountain breezes along the way.
    We've made three attempts to reach a mine out our way. It's called the Bluebird Mine (there are several Arizona mines by the same name) This one mined Copper and then later, Azurite and supposedly, there are several intact buildings and an assayers office on the site. The roads get way too hairy to try it without another vehicle being along, those bowel squeezing 300 foot drops-offs on a really off-camber road make us turn around each time. The Tonto Nat'l Forest Rangers have promised we could tag along with them when they go up there within the next couple of months. They're going to close off the mine entrance but leave the buildings standing for folks to see. Not that many people make the trip because of the road, but they plan on making a few improvements to the road also.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures, write-up AND your frustration!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA
    Nice pictures! I can identify with your frustration on not finding the mine you had intended, but as you say, it wasn't a lost trip cause you did find an interesting looking mine. Any idea what was mined there? (I wish we had that ATV of yours...very nice!) It was a hot day in Arizona today, hope you had some mountain breezes along the way.
    We've made three attempts to reach a mine out our way. It's called the Bluebird Mine (there are several Arizona mines by the same name) This one mined Copper and then later, Azurite and supposedly, there are several intact buildings and an assayers office on the site. The roads get way too hairy to try it without another vehicle being along, those bowel squeezing 300 foot drops-offs on a really off-camber road make us turn around each time. The Tonto Nat'l Forest Rangers have promised we could tag along with them when they go up there within the next couple of months. They're going to close off the mine entrance but leave the buildings standing for folks to see. Not that many people make the trip because of the road, but they plan on making a few improvements to the road also.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures, write-up AND your frustration!
    Laura,
    If you do a search here, you will find interesting reading on my last few attempts to find the BD.

No idea what could have been mined there, I looked around and didn't find any gold nuggets or anything (lol)

Speaking of the weather, it was really cool inside the mine. It was a nice place to take a break.

I'd love to find your Bluebird mine also, from what you say about it. What part of AZ are you guys in?

As far as rough trails go, I just recently broke down (in more ways than one!) and bought my first ATV. I've traversed ghost towns in all types of vehicles, but the more I do this, the more "hardcore" trails seem to lead to the GTs I'm looking for. In other words, I've done the easy stuff already!
    Brian

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

We're in Roosevelt, near Roosevelt Lake (between Globe and Payson) right in the Tonto Nat'l Forest. It's GT hunters heaven here, mines, pioneer cabins, old ranches etc.
    We've made friends with a couple of the forest rangers, they have a station right down the road from us...nice guys, very much into preservation instead of bulldozing as some of the other ranger districts are. (they call it public safety )
    We're not going out exploring much in the hot weather, if we had a breakdown, I'd croak if I had to walk out in this heat, but we'll make an exception to go to the Bluebird with the rangers...so much safer that way.
    We're spending a lot of time now researching and reading as much as we can find as well as plotting our maps. We mostly use the Tonto Nat'l Forest maps, as well as the Gila County mining maps. (they show the location as well as what was mined there and if the mine is still active and who owns it now) Once we get to Bluebird, I'll let you know if it's worth the trip, I have a feeling it'll be a good one.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Well, like Laura said it wasn't a total loss. Finding any kind of remnants at a shaft would be nifty in my book

So how did you like the 'Saki? Been figuring I'd have to break down and get a good 4X ATV or more likely a side by side some day myself. I can go pretty much any were I want with my Scout, but when the trail gets steep or off camber and the wife starts going "Oh my GOD!" and yelling other profanities at me while hitting me makes the trip less enjoyable

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    Well, like Laura said it wasn't a total loss. Finding any kind of remnants at a shaft would be nifty in my book

So how did you like the 'Saki? Been figuring I'd have to break down and get a good 4X ATV or more likely a side by side some day myself. I can go pretty much any were I want with my Scout, but when the trail gets steep or off camber and the wife starts going "Oh my GOD!" and yelling other profanities at me while hitting me makes the trip less enjoyable
    I found myself thinking "Oh my God" more with the ATV than any car/truck I've ever had.
    Its MUCH easier to tip it over on off-camber turns, and you have to THINK anytime you approach an obstacle other than straight on.
    Its much more of a physical workout than I imagined. As I'm overweight, for me, thats a good thing. My arms are in pain right now, because it really takes a lot of effort to wrestle those handlebars, even with the tires inflated high. And you better be willing to stand up and LEAN to keep all four wheels on the ground on extreme trails.
    That said, its easily the most superior 4x4 I have ever used. It wasn't designed to take you to work or shop for groceries. It has one pupose in life, and it fufills that pupose magnificently.
    Brian

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Yeah, to get the full potential out of an ATV, you have to become one with it. I've ridden them off and on for years, but my wife has never touched one. So that's why I'm leaning toward a side by side. That and the cost of 2 well equipped and competent ATV's compared.

Brian, nice pics. Nice atv, do you drive it on the street or trailer it. When it gets cooler i will be going out again, just to hot now.

Thread Information