Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UTM coordinates

Cool UTM coordinates

Hi all,...hey, can anybody lead me to a good , easy to understand link, or book, or dvd on learning utm coordinate? Their much more accurate than lat and longitude........ Thanks!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default utm

thanks ghosttown,....I saw that one....I was looking for something a little more in depth....much obliged tho!

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Photo.....
    Have you been to:
    www.maptools.com/usingUTM/

bb.

Default Only in a Flat World

Whoever thinks UTMs are more accurate than Lat/Long is incorrect. They are two ways to deal with coordinates, lat/long which treats the world as sphere which it isnít (it bulges at the middle and is a wee bit lumpy) and UTM which treats the earth as flat. Either method can as accurate as the precision of the numbers. UTM doesnít work well at all over any area much larger than a western state. Somewhere I have a program that can convert between UTM and Lat/Long as I was trying to get a more accurate location then the telephone number UTMs used by Nevada (They are within a mile but that ainít near as good as DMS about 100 feet about the 40 Parallel or decimal degrees where I can get down to a couple millimeters accurate with the proper GPS (Not a silly home $150 GPS but one that costs maybe 100 times that) but even with Decimal Degrees and a $150 GPS you can get within 100 feet. That is a typical 11/12 digit UTM. UTM is much easier to work with in a limited area and has other advantages but neither are inaccurate if you use the proper Datum to anchor your location.(Another reason to use UTM) and until the curvature of the earth comes into play I prefer UTM.
    Yet Another Bob

Red face

Thanks both Bob's....... I appreciate it....... I saw a site on the net about utms, but cant remember it......it taught about using millimeter's on a 24000 scale map to get your location exactly........ will have to do some more looking........ any of you guys know if there is a 'puter program I can put on a lap top that will show my loc on a topo? in real time? Happy GT Hunting!

Default Search the Web

Delorme and others offer canned programs that work with their data sets and an inexpensive GPS receiving device. These programs are fairly easy to use and I have used them to find my out of the desert in the dark when my headlight switch failed (On/off/on/off) on my Ford. The problem is the available resolution of their data sets.

There are several good programs in the $100/150 range that will allow you to register your own map and armed with a good GPS will show you where your at but registering a map (Getting the Correct Datum, etc.) is not fun. What I refer to is taking say a digital image of a 1910 USGS 1:100,000 Map and finding old things. The older the map, the less accurate but you can still find the original Benchmarks to handle different datums. These will allow you to snarf modern USGS 1:24,000 maps, Satellite imagery etc. They are not easy to use. The advantage is that for most states you can find digital imagery of all USGS data. I speak for Nevada where we also have Satellite imagery, historic maps and DEMsavailable but have found all 1:24000 maps for Utah, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Colorado , New Mexico, Wyoming and Montana and almost all for California (Although those are registered a bit different).

A $300/$400 Color GPS will do the same.

Search the web, there are numerous forums and discussion groups. Mountain Bikers, Enduro Motorcycle Racers, hikers all explore with the GPS attached to the handlebars or backpack. Several 4wd and ATV exploring groups have a a discussion thread just for this topic.
    Yet Another Bob

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I use DeLorme, National Geographic and iGage programs and should have Magellan's some day soon. I use a Magellan Meridian Color (eBay snag) and it has a slot for a SD card for more memory to load any specific maps (or just more info) you want. You can use all of the above programs to track live with a GPS on a laptop or even the unit if you have the map loaded. GPS units are like who likes what beer or soda. Everyone has a different taste. I know the BLM uses Garmin, but Thales makes Magellan and they supply our military or so I hear, so who do you pick? Personally I'd use a Garmin or Magellan. I went Magellan as most of my 4X club uses them and sharing info is easier.

My Magellan is supposed to be accurate to within 12 meters (40 feet) without the use of an external antenna (which is more accurate as it pulls more satellites) but I have found it to be better than that, usually within 6 meters or less (under 20 feet). I figure if I can't find it within 20 feet, I need to get a clue. Doing club runs, the route usually overlap or are within 5 feet of each other when back tracking.

Using the USGS maps loaded to my GPS, I found some old graves once that were long from being marked conspicuously and some other people had not been able to find. IIRC the difference was 10 feet.

BTW I use Lat/Long as most info I get is dealt that way, but GPS units like mine can do multiple different units of measure or even 2 at once, like UTM and Lat/Lon that are up for your view to compare. The only time I have used UTM is when mapping for the BLM on occasion.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

This post reminds me of a song.....
    "LBJ took the IRT down to 4th Street USA, and when he got there what did he see, the youth of America on LSD......LBJ, IRT, USA, LSD, LBJ, FBI, CIA"
    (don't mind me, I'm having a flashback and if you're old enough to remember this song...you should be too)

thanks Gary B.........Uh, ok laura, the sixties were good to you eh? I rmember them.........kinda..........

Thread Information