Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UTM coordinates

If you want to be accurate, get something that is WAS enabled or can at least connect to a WAS device. Here is ‘my’ current unit that I am running with a Garmin GPS V.

I have a Garmin, cause that's what we used in the service. I love it, but just wish I knew more about it, I havent had much time to play with it. Normally I just plug in an address and go, or use it to navigate off of the millions of freeways here in L.A. I used to use it as it was ment to be used, plugging in waypoints, collecting way points, planning routes and finding your self on a map, finding and calculating distance and direction, speed - all that stuff, but I just haven't really needed to do much of that as of late.

I have heard that you can hook 'em up to the laptop and use the entire topo map with real time nav. and all of the normal aps. Has anyone done this??

........And Dezdan what are you mapping out, or what are you using those monsters for??? You must be down to the MilMeter, do you work for the forestry service??
    Last edited by coolguy0621; 07-03-2006 at 12:17 PM.
    Andy

Yo Dezdan..............What are the monsters for..................
    Andy

Default Dan's Devices

They look like the stuff I borrow from the BLM to ride single track trails. The collect a location every "x" seconds (On a dirt bike every 5 seconds, hiking every 10 seconds) and when you return them, the GIS people know where you have been. Before the DOD turned off their inaccuracy devices, they would simulateneously collect GPS signal at a known location and then back the error out. We now submit all our off-road races, hiking trails,etc, in that format. Makes it easy to plot a course or trail on a map.
    Yet Another Bob

Thanks..........interesting
    Andy

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Those are small compared to some of the vehicle mounted ones.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy0621
    I have heard that you can hook 'em up to the laptop and use the entire topo map with real time nav. and all of the normal aps. Has anyone done this??
    I have a unit that I can do that with...I use TopoUSA software and an Earthmate GPS hyperperformance receiver
    which plugs into my laptop. The nicest part of the system is to set it up so that the screen on the laptop shows the track I am on towards the top of the screen and have the software set in 3-D and having the satellite data predownloaded to the laptop. I can put the receiver on the dash or roof and be driving and you can see the world around you in 3-D on the screen...and I can switch over to topomap mode with a keystroke. The only problem is I have a problem keeping my eyes on the road and watching the screen! That can be hazardous in the boonies of Nevada...

I use this setup to teach map reading...you would be surprised how fast students learn to read topo maps when they can see the lay of the land in 2-D, then see the same land in 3-D.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post
    Thanks ghosttowns .com and everone els for the (map links)

J & S

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy0621 View Post
    ........And Dezdan what are you mapping out, or what are you using those monsters for??? You must be down to the MilMeter, do you work for the forestry service??
    Sorry for the long delay, I haven't had a decent internet connection for sometime and when I did I was overwhelmed catching up on back emails. I work for the NPS now out of Death Valley mapping backcountry dirt roads under a Federal Highways grant for the Facilities Management Software Systems division of the NPS.

~Dan

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Dezdan View Post
    Sorry for the long delay, I haven't had a decent internet connection for sometime and when I did I was overwhelmed catching up on back emails. I work for the NPS now out of Death Valley mapping backcountry dirt roads under a Federal Highways grant for the Facilities Management Software Systems division of the NPS.

~Dan
    That sounds like the perfect job for a GT enthusiast.

You will keep us posted if you find a great, formally unmapped ghost town, won't ya?

Thread Information