Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RE: ZZYXZ ghost town bogus

Thumbs down Shoot em

Should remove the reference to Zzyzx Colorado. Then strangle the idiot that posted it.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Another town the same guy posted was up for discussion after this one. It too had directions that didn't make sense and was listed near another town, and the person asking about it said they (the town folk) had never heard of it. Seems somebody needs to have a talking to.

My family tried to visit ZZYXZ yesteday only to find that the residents of Ramah and Calhan Colorado had never even heard of it. I even asked a local cop who said that he had lived there for 10 years, showed him the printed page from ghosttowns.com and had no recollection of a ghost town in the area. Thankfully I just live in Colorado Springs and I only drove about 49 miles to get there. The other thing that worked out was that the Paint Mines were close by (in Calhan) so the trip wasn't a total waste. The Paint Mines are well worth seeing. Other than just being a jerk, why would someone post a bogus ghosttown?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Ouch, too bad you had to drive 49 miles to get there but I'm glad it wasn't a total bust. Probably the idiot who submitted the ZZYXZ is getting his kicks thinking about people wandering around trying to find the site. Hopefully after reading this the administrator will remove the post from Ghosttowns.com web site. I hope while he's at it, he'll also remove the Camp Reno Arizona directions. Whoever posted them had either never visited or researched the site, the directions are wrong.

[ Other than just being a jerk, why would someone post a bogus ghosttown?[/quote]

Should you be concerned about a location in Colorado again visit my site first then send me a note. Be glad to assist. The same guy that listed this one has several other Colorado posts that are bogus. I have identified them to the admin.

Rocky

Rocky.........I think this is the same ******* that submitted some erroneous info on a GT in Nevada, also. He must have a pretty boring. pitiful life, if he get's his kicks out pulling these stunts. ......

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejts View Post
    I have identified them to the admin.
    Mike -how did you contact us - we dont see anything - from time to time people say they have contacted us yet we dont have any contact so we are trying to figure out if there is a problem with something - email or whatever..

Default Boehmer and Zzyzx, CO - Are Bogus

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post
    Mike -how did you contact us - we dont see anything - from time to time people say they have contacted us yet we dont have any contact so we are trying to figure out if there is a problem with something - email or whatever..
    I would have to go back and research. Mid August sometime. What made me notice was that the guy used one of my photos (Salt Shaker) from my web site and pasted it into your forum. I recognized the photos and commented on it in the forum. It was for a "new" ghost town he discovered in Colorado. (Boehmer) You can probably find that post in the forum as well. Guess in the future I will make sure I send a private note.

I don't mean to be critical but a suggestions might be to have someone familiar with the area check out positngs prior to them going on the site. I am reluctant to use much of what I see as it is outdated, inaccurate and in some cases stolen for other sites. I can't speak for the other states but for Colorado I know that to be true.

This site has been great for me to meet some new friends that share the same hobbies and to exchange information. It is just sad to see that people want to purposely mislead others by posting bogus information. I feel sorry for you trying to maintain the site and balance all the spammers, hackers and practical jokers. It must be a full time job.

Rocky

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

90% of all the comes in gets reveiewed and thrown out - most people that are submitting bogus towns and such dont take much time with it and dont submit pictures and all of that - its usually very obvious - every town is reviewed by hand but less review time goes into the ones that have pics and stuff as usually those are the ones that are real - so unfortunately someone has so much time on their hands they can take all that time to submit something bogus and for what purpose?

Got a note today from someone asking me why I had not been to Boehmer Colorado. Supposedly the highest ghost town in Colorado. Since I do not have any record of a town named Boehmer I decided to research a little. I dug out numerous books I have and searched them all. Never found mention of the town. I did see that Max Boehmer was a distingushed mining enginner back in the 1870's up till the early 1900s. My curiousity was still in tact so I search the Colorado Historical society and then Denver Public Library. No such luck in finding the town. So I thought, well stupid go look at the link he sent. He sent me this link to your web site. http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/boehmer.html Right away I realized someone had been take for a ride. The picture is one I took in Nevadaville back in January of 2005. In the interest of accuracy and so we do not mislead more people PLEASE consider taking down the reference to Boehmer. I had forgotten that I had requested this earlier. It is by the way a copyright infringement.

THANKS for your consideration.

Attachment 6075
    Last edited by Mikejts; 07-04-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Rocky

Thread Information