Thread: current status of Elkhorn Montana

Default current status of Elkhorn Montana

howdy,

does anyone have any recent reports on the current condition of Elkhorn Montana? I have seen some pictures taken in the mid 90's, but curious how much change there has been since. Are people living there? Are buildings still standing?

thanks,
    matt

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

M....
    check this
    www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/elkhorn.htm

Note: I just read where Elkhorn is not only abandoned, but reportedly being dismantled board by board. Some buildings will be reconstructed at other locations. Google "Elkhorn Montana" to read about it. VERY SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bb.
    Last edited by bad bob; 07-01-2006 at 10:07 AM.

Theses two buildings are accessible to the public. rest of the town for what I hear is private property with people living there. I was there two years ago when i took this picture.
    Brad

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Caver, awesome pictures. I went all through your smugmug gallery and enjoyed every minute. You've taken some marvelous trips.
    Thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed the pics Laura.
    Brad

Default In Elkhorn

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc View Post
    howdy,

does anyone have any recent reports on the current condition of Elkhorn Montana? I have seen some pictures taken in the mid 90's, but curious how much change there has been since. Are people living there? Are buildings still standing?

thanks,
    matt
    I was in Elkhorn in the 90's before the windows were restored in the main two structures. I do professional photography and returned to Ohio with some awesome slides. I have returned to Elkhorn in each of my 6 visits to Montana. In I think the late 90' you could still camp right near the town. One of the structures in the pictures led to me meeting the owner, Mr. David Walker, who I continued to communicate with until his death. He had lived in Elkhorn as a child having been born in Cleveland Ohio. I live about 2 and 1/2 hours south close to the western panhandle of West Virginia. His father had been a photographer in Anaconda. He was at the time living in Butte with his wife. He for a Christmas gift sent me a historic picture of the mine taken by his father early in the last century. I sent him a not so good picture of his house in 2001. He immediately wrote to me that the house had burned to the ground on 9/11 of that year. After his death I returned to Montana in 2007 and meet with his wife. It was the only picture they had of the structure.
    On one of my trips to Montana...........I realized the windows were restored and reshot the exact pictures as I could remember them,
    I know a lot about the place from Mr. Walker. Today the state of Montana owns the two main structures. Most of the town is privately owned. I obtained from Mrs. Walker papers allowing me to be on her property and returned to Elkhorn.
    I have a natural attraction to the place for some reason and came upon this forum.
    george
    Last edited by georged; 07-27-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: name

Thread Information