Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinegaroons

Default Vinegaroons

Distinguished fellow GT'ers! (ahem)...

What I want is some first hand info from someone who has been bitten by a vinegaroon. Not Grandma's cousin got bitten or any thing else. I need some reliable info.
    Here are some observations of mine: I used to work graveyards (Don't fire up The Mystery Machine just yet, Shag and Scoob-I'm talking about the 10:00p.m.-7:00a.m. shift!) at a tire retreading plant. In the early A.M. hours, the vinegaroons were out in full force. They clung to the ceiling in the glue booth, they popped out from under machines, they were everywhere. And aggressive...if you flicked one off of a table, keep your eyes open, because they came right back for you. Even if you moved, they would change direction.
    What I want to know is, what happens if you get bit? How painful is the bite, and do you really taste vinegar for 24 hours or so?

Thanks,
    Goat

P.S.: Just trying to expand my ever-growing library of info that will only be used as conversation stoppers for dealing with people that I'm stuck with in social situations, but share NO common interests with. Roughly, 99.83% of the adult population...

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Goat
    Distinguished fellow GT'ers! (ahem)...

What I want is some first hand info from someone who has been bitten by a vinegaroon. Not Grandma's cousin got bitten or any thing else. I need some reliable info.
    Here are some observations of mine: I used to work graveyards (Don't fire up The Mystery Machine just yet, Shag and Scoob-I'm talking about the 10:00p.m.-7:00a.m. shift!) at a tire retreading plant. In the early A.M. hours, the vinegaroons were out in full force. They clung to the ceiling in the glue booth, they popped out from under machines, they were everywhere. And aggressive...if you flicked one off of a table, keep your eyes open, because they came right back for you. Even if you moved, they would change direction.
    What I want to know is, what happens if you get bit? How painful is the bite, and do you really taste vinegar for 24 hours or so?

Thanks,
    Goat

P.S.: Just trying to expand my ever-growing library of info that will only be used as conversation stoppers for dealing with people that I'm stuck with in social situations, but share NO common interests with. Roughly, 99.83% of the adult population...
    Ahhh, Goggle is such a fast and reliable search engine. It took .16 seconds to find this:

Considered non-poisonous but they can pinch; capable of spraying a mist from scent glands at the base of the tail when disturbed. The mist produced by our species contains 85% concentrated acetic acid or vinegar, hence the name "vinegaroon

And this:

The vinegaroon, also called the whip-tail scorpion, is fairly common throughout the range. When mollested, they expel a spray of acetic acid which smells like vinegar, thus their name. They are not venomous and can be picked up. The females usually have wider bodies and smaller pincers than the males.
    In captivity they requre some moisture. They are fairly easy to keep and will feed on small insects

And this:

The Vinegaroon (vin-uh-guh-roon) is a primitive arthropod, related to spiders. It's also known as a Whip Scorpion, primarily because it resembles a scorpion and has a whip-like tail (big surprise). Unlike a real scorpion it can't sting you and it's not venomous. What it CAN do is spray you with acetic acid. Acetic acid is the stuff that makes vinegar smell like, well, vinegar. Hence the name VINEGARoon. The only way one of these things can do any damage is by pinching you with its claws or by spraying its own gourmet brand of vinegar in your eyes. Should you be deranged enough to get your face anywhere near one of these beasties, and it manages to irrigate your eyeballs, you should immediately flush them with water and see your physician. Unless you're allergic to vinegar, you should be just fine. In fact these guys actually make good pets. But they do look scary as **** and they're BIG. A large adult can exceed 6 inches in length. Not the sort of thing you want to suddenly encounter in the middle of the night, even if it is harmless (more on that later).

And finally:

The Vinegaroon Murders (The Dos Cruces Trilogy Ser.) (Hardcover)
    by James A. Mangum
    td.productLabel { font-weight: bold; text-align: right; white-space: nowrap; vertical-align: top; padding-right: 5px; padding-left: 0px; } table.product { border: 0px; padding: 0px; border-collapse: collapse; }List Price:$19.95 Price:$12.97 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details You Save:$6.98 (35%)

Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

7 used & new available from $12.97

Yep, I know about all of that stuff, I just wanted to hear from someone who has ACTUALLY been nabbed by one. Is it like a wasp sting, or what?
    There is a lot of contradictory info about it on the net, so I thought I'd find out first hand.

Goat

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Dear Distinguished (chuckle) GT'er
    It sounds like it's fairly harmless, the mist it expels is used to warn away predators. The Vinegarroon is non venomous and is not a true scorpion. although is sure does look like it. I couldn't find info that it even bites.

Just another of our friendly desert inhabitants.
    Name:  Vinegarroon YUCK!.jpg
Views: 18904
Size:  2.4 KB
    Last edited by LauraA; 07-04-2006 at 04:28 PM. Reason: picture isn't showing need to redo

My god I've never heard of these little demon spawn!!!!! I would be $hitting bricks
    Andy

Yeah Andy, they're pretty scary looking! I'm not afraid of bugs (those flying waterbugs creep me out though), but I do sleep in a truck tent, in case of night time scorps. I've had the vinegaroons on me before- when I had longer hair I was sitting on the couch and felt wiggling on my chest-sure enough, one was tangled up in my hair. I nabbed him with a paper towel and drowned him in a cup to get a good look at him, that's when this obsession started, I guess!
    I still haven't found any first hand info from anyone that has been skewered by one yet, though. A client of someone that I work with has been bitten (or pinched, poked, or otherwise attacked) by one. The problem is, the victim is mentally challenged. He said that he tasted vinegar, but he's probably not the best case study, either.
    Sooo, the search continues! Maybe, I'll call Geraldo...

Goat

Dang I am glad I live up here in the NW! We don't have biting stinging nasty looking beasties like those! We pretty much don't have anything that'll kill 'ya. Hornets, wasps, little spiders but nothin' creepy like that thing!

Yeah but I think I'd rather deal with the *** lizard than the demon spawn Vinegaroons.

So they travel in large packs or heards??

And where exactly are they native to??

I have really never heard of these things untill this thread, I'm glad I heard about them here before finding them on a solo mission, thinking aliens have invaded, my days were numbered and trying to fight my way out............................................... ........that would look funny from a distance tho tent rolling all over the place holes blasting every where and me running around nekkid Screaming
    Last edited by coolguy0621; 07-07-2006 at 11:03 AM.
    Andy

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Southern and southwestern United States according to my Black's Law Dictionary. I never saw one sober either my friend. OJ

Funny, I've been all over the southwest, and never so much as heard of these, I really am glad I heard about it here first, sober or not, these things creep me out big time!!!!

The Black's Law Dictionary is about legal matters no??
    Last edited by coolguy0621; 07-07-2006 at 11:38 AM.
    Andy

Thread Information