Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Those miners were made of strong stuff!

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Bob, you're right about Biddy Mason. I've read about her and she was an interesting character! If I'm not mistaken, there's a park in Los Angeles named after her. She was a mover and shaker well before Rosa Parks took her historic stand on a city bus.

Here's a link with information about her for those who may not recognize the name Bridget "Biddy" Mason.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default No use starting another thread

Jeez, I've become soft and worthless in my declining years!

The Sammi is trail ready, set up to tow out of town, and my employer has seen fit to grant me the ocasional weekend off.

But its kinda cold right now, it sorta hurts when the wind hits my face, and the heater don't work too good.

Can you just try to imagine how it might have been in one of our ghost towns right about now?

Now its not bad here in Arizona, but its cold as heck and snowing in a lot of places.

Just imagine being cold all night, dirty from not bathing, and stomach full of whiskey and beans creating acid reflux nasty enough to burn a hole in stainless steel.

With your credit already cut off at the general store, you have no choice but to bundle up and drag yourself to your claim.

You are a good man, God fearing and generally law abiding. You are tough as nails and strong as a horse, but as your aching arms grasp the worn handle of your pick axe and the pick breaks off on frozen rock, you have reached the very limit of your endurance.

With no more than a strong cup of cowboy coffee to urge you on, you slowly stumble towards town, and , without a trace of remorse or emotion, use your broken pick axe to bash in the brains of the first person you see walking alone.

The meager proceeds bring you a few days supplies and a bottle or two of whiskey, no longer a luxury, but a necessary evil you rely on more and more to help erase the memories of your desperate crime.

Outlaws in the old West? Heck, conditions as they were, I'm surprised everyone didn't resort to crime at one time or another.

Shoot. Some ghost town explorer I am, sipping espresso in a heated house, belly full of rotisserie chicken and iced tea.

Unhappy

Jeez Brian, that brings it all into perspective doesn't it! The last part of 2006 was pretty crappy for me (broken ribs, a couple of ER trips and surgeries, and something at work hit the fan and left everyone brown-tinged, companywide), and I sorta made a resolution NOT to post until I had made a discovery of some type, that might be of interest to others.

Now I've got a couple days off, but I'm waiting for warmer weather to do some explorin'! Jeez, I'm a wimp...
    Goat
    -Refuse the blindfold, accept the cigarette, and have a laugh with the firing squad-

Wink

DISCOVERY: I bought some shake lights at Bass Pro Shop, on a lark. I figured maybe for an emergency type situation, they'd be OK. Lets just say....they DO cast light, just not lots of it. I shook one up for a while and walked into the dark silence of the garage to test it. After a minute or so, I heard a faint tapping at the flashlight lens and looked down. Sure enough, there was an aged moth, wearing dark sunglasses with a seeing-eye mosquito on the end of a leash, tapping the lens with a cane. I asked him why he wasn't with his friends dining on clothes at the GOODWILL, or something. He replied: "I'm old and don't see too well, but I like to venture out and find stuff to explore this time of year, even if it isn't particularly bright OR interesting. It makes me feel a little bit younger and it keeps the fire burning, so to speak". I turned off the light and went inside, and as I was closing the door, I heard a faint curse as he bumped into his reflection on the truck.

*Cue the "Wonder Years" music and narration; "That night, I learned that it was important to pursue the hobby that you love, no matter what the weather is like or how crappy you feel. I learned to stop procrastinating and finding excuses, and that getting out and doing something will put everything else in your life into perspective.

I also learned that I'm about as bright as a Bass Pro Shop shake light...

Goat.
    Goat
    -Refuse the blindfold, accept the cigarette, and have a laugh with the firing squad-

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

What is this, revaluations hour?

Other than having the season crud and my bronchitis fighting me, I've been busy busting butt on getting the house fixed up. But it's all in good reason, as the faster the house gets done, the sooner I can sell it and move to a better place away from this cess pool
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Where ya headed to, Gary?
    Goat

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    Where ya headed to, Gary?

Either Elko or the Pioche-Caliente area. We we're thinking Ely too, but it's to far away from everything. I finally got my NDOT job so I can at least have a job and likely transfer. My wife is lucky, she's a special ed. teacher and is in demand pretty much everywhere.

Elko has everything, but it's down right miserable there in the winter and unless I'm working indoors, I don't want any part of it. Plus transfers to there are harder as they have fewer staff.

I'm leaning toward Pioche-Caliente. It's still away from everything, but it's closer than Ely. It's an hour to Cedar City, UT and 2 to Vegas for monthly shopping, and I have more family there than Elko. And if they get that place in Coyote Springs built (which I really, really, really hope they don't) we'd have even closer services.

I've just gotten burned out of this place, I don't know how Bob has done it for so long. Plus it makes sense as I'm always GT'ing, off-roading, hunting, etc. and I'd have all that in my own back yard up there, as opposed to having to drive to it like down here.

I already told my wife that where ever we move too, we're getting a 4X4 quad or side X side to go where my SII can't, and she'll probably never see me again if she doesn't come along as I'll be finding out where every dirt road goes too
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

Oh man, Caliente is my vision of paradise! My wife teaches first grade here, and I work with adults with developmental disabilities in a work program. I just assumed that we were "unmarketable" in that part of the state, due to its smaller population. Good luck with this, let us know what you find out job wise.

I'm with you on the Ely thing, I don't like the cold!

Goat
    Goat

Teachers are big everywhere, especially rural, where they likely would make more money than here
    As for your position, I'm not sure there is a huge demand in that area, but I'm sure across the state there may be. You might even be able to use your skills in a similar situation, like at juvenile detentions centers, like the one in Caliente.

I used to have some good state job posting links, besides the official state one, that you could look by location and job. But once I got my employment, I dumped them

What school does your wife teach at?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

True confessions huh. Well, the crud's got me too, can't put a name to it, just a general achy feeling that doesn't seem to develop into anything further. BUT, being stubborn, hardheaded and tenacious, I'm not giving in to whatever's trying to nail me. The colder temps are perfect for explorations.
    We're still out on an almost daily basis and still trying to reach the $##!! Journigan Mine. The forest service map is dead wrong, the road they've got marked isn't in the right location. We've finally got it exactly pinned down as far as the location goes, but hiking to it takes some real stamina, something I'm lacking right now. If this dadgum mine was a lead mine, how the heck did they haul anything into or out of it? There aren't any roads going directly to it and from the looks of the terrain, there never was a road. The existing road stops about a mile from the mine and from there, it's an uphill hike, climbing over boulders, dense growth and a thriving wall-to-wall briar and cactus garden. It's the most forbidding mile you can imagine.
    I'm convinced that these miners were not only hardy souls, but they had to be obsessed with the idea of making money and a wee bit nutty as well....there had to be an easier way. Maybe they knew that sometime in the next 100 years or so, some crazy dingbat and her almost as crazy husband would be trying to find their diggings. I'll betcha they're sitting back somewhere in the miner's afterlife and laughing at us.

Road? What road? This is the way to Journigan Mine
    Name:  back to Journigan 005.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  34.2 KB
    Last edited by LauraA; 01-14-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Thread Information