Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Those miners were made of strong stuff!

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    DISCOVERY: I bought some shake lights at Bass Pro Shop, on a lark. I figured maybe for an emergency type situation, they'd be OK. Lets just say....they DO cast light, just not lots of it. I shook one up for a while and walked into the dark silence of the garage to test it. After a minute or so, I heard a faint tapping at the flashlight lens and looked down. Sure enough, there was an aged moth, wearing dark sunglasses with a seeing-eye mosquito on the end of a leash, tapping the lens with a cane. I asked him why he wasn't with his friends dining on clothes at the GOODWILL, or something. He replied: "I'm old and don't see too well, but I like to venture out and find stuff to explore this time of year, even if it isn't particularly bright OR interesting. It makes me feel a little bit younger and it keeps the fire burning, so to speak". I turned off the light and went inside, and as I was closing the door, I heard a faint curse as he bumped into his reflection on the truck.

*Cue the "Wonder Years" music and narration; "That night, I learned that it was important to pursue the hobby that you love, no matter what the weather is like or how crappy you feel. I learned to stop procrastinating and finding excuses, and that getting out and doing something will put everything else in your life into perspective.

I also learned that I'm about as bright as a Bass Pro Shop shake light...

Goat.
    Thank you my friend, for the inspiration. Next weekend, rain or shine, I'll be.....somewhere deserted.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    What is this, revaluations hour?

Other than having the season crud and my bronchitis fighting me, I've been busy busting butt on getting the house fixed up. But it's all in good reason, as the faster the house gets done, the sooner I can sell it and move to a better place away from this cess pool
    You are welcome here in Southern Arizona!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    True confessions huh. Well, the crud's got me too, can't put a name to it, just a general achy feeling that doesn't seem to develop into anything further. BUT, being stubborn, hardheaded and tenacious, I'm not giving in to whatever's trying to nail me. The colder temps are perfect for explorations.
    We're still out on an almost daily basis and still trying to reach the $##!! Journigan Mine. The forest service map is dead wrong, the road they've got marked isn't in the right location. We've finally got it exactly pinned down as far as the location goes, but hiking to it takes some real stamina, something I'm lacking right now. If this dadgum mine was a lead mine, how the heck did they haul anything into or out of it? There aren't any roads going directly to it and from the looks of the terrain, there never was a road. The existing road stops about a mile from the mine and from there, it's an uphill hike, climbing over boulders, dense growth and a thriving wall-to-wall briar and cactus garden. It's the most forbidding mile you can imagine.
    I'm convinced that these miners were not only hardy souls, but they had to be obsessed with the idea of making money and a wee bit nutty as well....there had to be an easier way. Maybe they knew that sometime in the next 100 years or so, some crazy dingbat and her almost as crazy husband would be trying to find their diggings. I'll betcha they're sitting back somewhere in the miner's afterlife and laughing at us.

Road? What road? This is the way to Journigan Mine

Attachment 680
    Laura,
    You and Ralph are a true inspiration to gters everywhere. You've got a lot of internal fortitude going for you.
    maybe this will be the lucky trip where you step through the rotting floorboards of a miner's cabin to reveal a cache of ah, er, lead.
    Well, at last we could cast fishing sinkers, wheel weights, and bullets!

Gary, my wife teaches at Lewis E. Rowe Elementary, over by UNLV. Where's your wife teach? I know quite a few people at Helen J. Stewart, and other places too. Seems like I've become the company's good will ambassador, and I've met a lot of teachers through various functions.

Brian, I think I inspired myself with my own mothy fable. I think we'll go out tomorrow and pop off a few rounds at least. I've gotta empty out a few .41 cases so I can come up with some different loads. I've got an inquiry in with my dealer, and might be getting another one in the next couple of months, depending on price.

I've got a bunch of Caliente questions for you Gary, when the time is right.

Goat
    Goat
    -Refuse the blindfold, accept the cigarette, and have a laugh with the firing squad-

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I also learned that I'm about as bright as a Bass Pro Shop shake light...
    Goat.
    Not true Goat, you're a shining halogen...that's some wonderful inspirational writing. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    maybe this will be the lucky trip where you step through the rotting floorboards of a miner's cabin to reveal a cache of ah, er, lead.
    Well, at last we could cast fishing sinkers, wheel weights, and bullets!
    You're right Brian, gotta keep the faith. (although, sometimes in my case, the lead is located elsewhere besides the mine)

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Gary, my wife teaches at Lewis E. Rowe Elementary, over by UNLV. Where's your wife teach?

Goat

She's now at Moore Elem. over by Stewart and Lamb. Funny thing is their mascot is a miner. Started at Lunt Elem. (read ghetto) IIRC she did some student teaching at Rowe. Then again I think all UNLV students do She loves the kids and the rewards, but has quickly tired of the bureaucracies that chase so many teachers away from here.

Ask away about Caliente, either here on the boards or PM me.

BTW, know anyone that can put a Remington .22-250 model 788 trigger back together?
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    You are welcome here in Southern Arizona!

Eeeew!

Actually I like the state (scenery), and most of the natives I have met. But Arizona has the same issue as Nevada with idiots from other states moving there and trying to change the place like to where they came from.

Plus every where I'd be willing to move to, I can't afford. Because I try not to go where it's hotter or as (or more) congested than this place. So that leaves all the artsy yuppie parts where the homeless only make six figures
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

Gary, my wife teaches at Lewis E. Rowe Elementary, over by UNLV. Where's your wife teach? I know quite a few people at Helen J. Stewart, and other places too. Seems like I've become the company's good will ambassador, and I've met a lot of teachers through various functions.

Brian, I think I inspired myself with my own mothy fable. I think we'll go out tomorrow and pop off a few rounds at least. I've gotta empty out a few .41 cases so I can come up with some different loads. I've got an inquiry in with my dealer, and might be getting another one in the next couple of months, depending on price.

Goat
    (off topic warning)
    You load .41? Don't you know thats an obsolete caliber?

I load for 10mm and 9x18 Mac.

Gary, here's a few questions for you; What's the main source of income in the area? What is the price of housing? Are the folks there generally friendly, or do you have to be a sixth generation resident to get any work done on your stuff (or a nod and a "Good Mornin'", even)? What is the general consensus on the possibility of the "nuke waste" train going through the area? Do they have faith in Harry and his words on this issue, or are they skeptical (Loaded question warning!)?
    I've been in Vegas since '94 and still haven't found a competent gunsmith. I've got an M1 carbine that recently started splitting case heads and will probably take it out of state to get it fixed. Have you thought about a Timney trigger?

Good man, Brian! I've been reloading for it (and my faithful 4" M57) for about 15 years. For me, it's a once-in-a-lifetime combination of hand meets gun/caliber/loads and finds harmony. It does anything I ask of it to perfection, and when I die, my ashes will be loaded into its chambers and fired into the sunset. That's how sweet it is! Right now, I'm looking at a (much lighter)Freedom Arms M97 to give the old dog a break. Doubt that it'll be as good, though.
    If life had turned out differently, and I was more of an auto loader man, you could replace the paragraph above with 10mm and Delta. I reloaded and shot those extensively, too. The only difference was that, when it came down to a "Sophie's Choice" with paying medical bills or living in a cardboard box, I chose the revolver out of familiarity and years of service over the Colt. But the Delta is still the finest autoloader/caliber ever made (for me-your results may vary).
    Goat
    -Refuse the blindfold, accept the cigarette, and have a laugh with the firing squad-

Gary, here's a few questions for you; What's the main source of income in the area? What is the price of housing? Are the folks there generally friendly, or do you have to be a sixth generation resident to get any work done on your stuff (or a nod and a "Good Mornin'", even)? What is the general consensus on the possibility of the "nuke waste" train going through the area? Do they have faith in Harry and his words on this issue, or are they skeptical (Loaded question warning!)?
    Well, it's pretty much like any small community really. And I'm mixing Panaca, Pioche and Caliente all together as they are all in the same mix, even if they try not to be. I'd live in any one likely, even Panaca which is a big LDS town, even though I'm not in anyway religious.

The people who make the most money usually have some type of government job, or own/run their own business. The BLM, NDOT have offices there. The UP uses it as a halfway point, etc, etc. A large part of the community is either retired or semi. Everyone else scrimps by on low paying jobs like wait staff, cooks, maids, etc. But the cost of living is no where like it is here, so it likely evens out. If you are fortunate to own a good business, you're probably doing okay. Some folks try doing things there that thrive in a bigger city, but the demand isn't there. Tourism is really taking off and the folks in charge have caught on and are doing a decent job to try and capitalize on it. Motels and RV parks are good money there. I've seriously thought of opening up an RV park/small sporting goods store to make a living. I still might do it too if I can get things lined out right.

The housing is funny, a lot of retirees are moving up there and paying boo koo prices so that drives the market up, plus the LV Water Authority is trying to steal as much land for water rights. But you can find some good deals, and even if you pay a good amount of money, you likely are getting a nice sized lot of land unlike Vegas. Some of the older homes are going pretty cheap, it really just depends on where and why. If the housing market drops like they figure, that area will be really cheap across the board once again. 2 years ago my cousin bought a 3000 SF house with 5 acres for just under 200K. I'd say you could get that still for well under 300K, likely less soon. Here's a good site I watch for land/homes: http://www.nevadaonsale.com/en.php/p...ncoln/-/-/?o=1 It has the name sof all the real estate companies up there too. There's a lot more for sell than just what they list, but it gives you a good idea of the variations.

I'd say everyone tends to be pretty friendly. It's a small community, so everyone knows who's screwing who. But if you're good people, then I think they'll gladly take you in. I've yet to meet anyone half as big as a jerk off like I meet everyday here. I don't always let on to who I am or who I'm related to, and I've been treated pretty nice. Even after they find out I'm from Vegas Though I usually win them over when I can out complain them about this place.

As far as the whole nuke issue, it seems pretty split. Many don't want it, many feel it'd be good for decent paying jobs. But I think even the ones willing to have it would like to find the money another way. Being the nations garbage dump doesn't sit well with most Southern Nevadans anyway, especially since we get crapped on already. And many up there are "Downwinders", so they know all too much about how fun a little radiation can be. But I think that's taken a back seat to fight Vegas over the water rights issues. If the state or feds don't step in and straighten it out, that's likely to get very ugly.

It has it's issues and good vibes like everywhere else I guess, just a lot smaller scale. There's not much future, so you have a lot of kids moving out, but then you have a lot of retirees and folks tired of the big city moving in. There is a drug use issue, and a lot of folks go to AA, but then again there's not much for people to do. Many are resistant to change, while many are trying to get new ideas going. There are some pushing for industrial complexes and the like to secure jobs. You have a blend of old and new ways, but I think everyone is really trying to keep things simple to keep the better living environment there.

Myself and my wife like the small town feel. I like having very little traffic and no where near the people. Folks can leave their doors unlocked. IIRC they haven't had a murder for 15 years or so. You have numerous outdoor activities in your back yard. Not too hot and not too cold, for long anyways. The way of life is just so much easier and relaxing. I'd have gone back years ago if there was any way to make a real living other than having a g'ment job. Heck, my dad has been trying to get back since he moved here in '60 I have family that run a perlite mine that I could probably get into, but I don't like working for family. Makes it harder to tell them where to stick it

Here's the official tourist site for Lincoln, has some good links: http://www.lincolncountynevada.com/

Here's a link of the demographics and studies for the area too: http://lcrda.com/

I'm sure someone from there will get on and ream me over something, but that's fine. I'll just move next to them and play my music loud and rev my engines late at night

Have you thought about a Timney trigger?
    From what I have read, not much if any aftermarket is available for them. It's been fun trying to locate extra clips even. The 788 is not popular among many, in fact many bad mouth it. My Aunt gave it to me when I mentioned I'd be interested in it mainly for the caliber. I wanted a low end deer rifle that would be good and use cheap ammo for plugging coyotes and bobcats. I was thinking of getting a .223 WSSM, but my friend mentioned I'd likely destroy any usable pelts.

Thread Information