View Poll Results: Ever poop in your pants in the desert?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, when I almost lost control of my 4x4

2 28.57%
  • Yes, but just for the warm feeling

2 28.57%
  • Yes, hoping the smell would scare away the indians

1 14.29%
  • yes, when a huge vinagaroon crawled up my trousers

1 14.29%
  • yes, and I don't need a reason

5 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A man's got to know his limitations

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default A man's got to know his limitations

(Black Diamond Mine part 3?)

A man with an obsession can be a glutton for punishment.

I made another attempt to find the BD mine today, with some success-well, sort of.

After many hours scouring topo maps I located what I thought were 3 possible back doors. (The last attempt left me locked out of the main trail by a padlocked gate)

Backdoor #1 left me again at the same locked gate. Map error. Or the trail just before it was the one. Unfortunately, that trail went DIRECTLY to the rancher's house. I tried to find a break in the fence, but I was fenced in on three sides, at least for 1/4 mile.

Backdoor #2 was alot more promising, that is, until I came accross locked gate #2. (see below) No one was in sight anywhere, and I was tempted to break through, but a little voice kept reminding me it was the middle of nowhere, and I was armed with a .44magnum with max velocity hunting loads. I need to avoid confrontation AT ANY COST.

See my next post for the continuation of this pathetic saga of woe...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Saga of woe part 2

So on to possible backdoor #3. I traveled Middlemarch road to its peak, then took last installment's trail again to the left. This time I continued on a steep trail up the mountian to the left. It looked really promising. About 3/4 of the way up, the trail got a lot steeper (no problem), a bit narrower (not to worry!) and the drop off somewhat more treacherous. (What, me worry?)

Funny thing I discovered about ATVs. They like to roll. (No, thank goodness, I didn't find out first hand) The trail ahead had been eroded in many places by recent monsoon rains. It was eroded deeply in places, but randomly, as God has a habit of doing. After several minutes of careful deliberation (and a peek or two at the drop off) I decided to call it quits for another day. (hopefully) I would have taken a picture if I wasn't frozen in raw fear.

I'm putting the BD on the backburner for a while.

So as not to completely waste my day, I poked around Middlemarch Canyon a while, and came back with pictures of this bigass flooded hole in the mountain (picture 1) Picture 2 is a little closer, and 3 closer still.

In the true spirit of the seven gates of ****, there is an orb pictured in the last shot. Yes, I am very interested in the paranormal as well, but sorry, I think this one's just a sunspot. (But what if...)
    It was a very creepy place. I kinda wish I had a canoe to get inside.

So, that leaves me planning my next southern Arizona GT trip. Suggestions?

Oh, I almost forgot-

First pic didn't make it

I'm having a problem uploading my last picture. Let's try this again

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

'tis a wise man who knows his limitations.
    You're really determined to find this mine. Wasn't it too hot down your way to be crawling around the desert? That picture of the hole with cables leading down to it looked like something begging for further exploration. (inflatable raft on your ATV?) The Black Diamond will continue to haunt you until you've found it. What if you went to the rancher's door and asked permission to pass through? ...you know, hat in hand, turn on the charm and add pretty please while complimenting him on his wisdom for living in such a wonderful environment. Maybe once he's assured that you're not just some yahoo out to graffiti up his place, he'll impart some of his down-home wisdom on you?
    GREAT pictures and great writing. I'm so jealous but simply can't take the heat.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA
    'tis a wise man who knows his limitations.
    You're really determined to find this mine. Wasn't it too hot down your way to be crawling around the desert?
    I started at 7am!

That picture of the hole with cables leading down to it looked like something begging for further exploration.
    Yeah! What if that orb in the last picture was realy a dead miner trying to communicate with me? Trying to lead me his hidden gold?

(inflatable raft on your ATV?) The Black Diamond will continue to haunt you until you've found it. What if you went to the rancher's door and asked permission to pass through?
    Actually, that my next plan. I'll take a garbage bag with me to show my sincerity.

...you know, hat in hand, turn on the charm and add pretty please while complimenting him on his wisdom for living in such a wonderful environment. Maybe once he's assured that you're not just some yahoo out to graffiti up his place, he'll impart some of his down-home wisdom on you?
    GREAT pictures and great writing. I'm so jealous but simply can't take the heat.
    If it were easier, everybody would be out there, and it wouldn't be so peaceful.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

There are two orbs in the photo!!! ...reckon this IS one of the seven gates? We need a teenager to determine if it's actual fact.
    Also, notice the misty aura coming from the hole, maybe the spirits are warning you to
    keeeeeep awayyyyyyyyyy

PS regarding the poll, since I'm a woman, I don't need a reason for anything I do

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Looks like a mine that hit water to me. Got a few of those nearby

Brian, is this "your" Black Diamond mine? I came across this while trying to find info about my own obsession, The Blue Bird Mine.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA
    Brian, is this "your" Black Diamond mine? I came across this while trying to find info about my own obsession, The Blue Bird Mine.

Thats the one!

By the way, after careful consideration, I've decided to try what you suggested and to ask the rancher for permission to access his land. If he says no, I can always shoot him dead and take the keys. Or not.

Thread Information