Thread: Telegraph City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Telegraph City

I can not seem to find any history on Telegraph City - Calaveras County California. At one time I was working with Californiaghosttowns.com and we were able to piece some history together with my photo's, but the site has since been removed from the internet and I have lost contact with the site admin.

Anyone else have anything on this town located in the gold rush belt of California?
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Listing of the cemeteries of Telegraph City:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/cemeterykid/

This one might be able to give you info if you contact them:
    http://www.cwo.com/~ditches/GuddeCal.htm

Here's a pensioner from TC (I know- not what you are after - but I liked it!)
    http://www.calarchives4u.com/pension/1883-cal.htm

Copperopolis' claim to fame isn't gold, but copper. It was founded in 1860 by William K. Reed, Dr. Allen Blatchly, and Thomas McCarty, at the site of the second big discovery of copper ore in the region (the first was nearby Telegraph City).

It ahd a post office sometime between 1849 and 1935:
    http://pbbooks.com/caindex.htm

Not much out there is there?

Quote Originally Posted by NWNative
    Listing of the cemeteries of Telegraph City:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/cemeterykid/

This one might be able to give you info if you contact them:
    http://www.cwo.com/~ditches/GuddeCal.htm

Here's a pensioner from TC (I know- not what you are after - but I liked it!)
    http://www.calarchives4u.com/pension/1883-cal.htm

Copperopolis' claim to fame isn't gold, but copper. It was founded in 1860 by William K. Reed, Dr. Allen Blatchly, and Thomas McCarty, at the site of the second big discovery of copper ore in the region (the first was nearby Telegraph City).

It ahd a post office sometime between 1849 and 1935:
    http://pbbooks.com/caindex.htm

Not much out there is there?
    wow!
    did you see that! that one guy got a whole $4.00 a month for a knee injury.
    Your right, there is not much out there on Telegraph City. I had already accessed all these web sites. I am going to try the nearby Historical Society
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Telegraph City, California

Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Drifter
    I can not seem to find any history on Telegraph City - Calaveras County California. At one time I was working with Californiaghosttowns.com and we were able to piece some history together with my photo's, but the site has since been removed from the internet and I have lost contact with the site admin.

Anyone else have anything on this town located in the gold rush belt of California?
    We have not heard of this town before. We will do some research and get back with you with what we find.

Sheila & Johnnie

Johnnie,

I have been there twice and have some pictures. if your interested in seeing them while you do your research I would be happy to e-mail them? Just drop me a PM with your email address and I will send them.

If you are able to find any history let me know, My web site is lacking in description / history to accompany the photos.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations

Telegraph City is an interesting place. On warm summer days, be prepared to be set upon by hordes of flies. I'm not talking a few; I mean thousands. They are pests but they're not stable flies (no biting). I do not recommend going out there at night unless you want to catch some stray lead from drunken locals who habitually amuse themselves by shooting up the windmill blades and just about everything else they can fix their sights on. Also, watch out for "Chicken Boy." Many think he is just a myth, but I have spoken to some credible sources who have led me to believe he may be real.

EDIT 2010-09-04 @ 1731 PDT: Chicken Boy graffiti in structure 1.1 in Telegraph City:
    Last edited by JW Hardin; 09-04-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: To include image

Can you give us some more details to the Legend of Chicken Boy?

I'll tell you who Chicken Boy really is! In the 1990's I went to Oakdale High School with this oddball everyone called Chicken Boy. He was crazy very original and a legand in his time and everyone liked him well. He used to like hanging around ghost towns especially telegraph city , it was a popular place for country kids in my days everyone knew about it. we were all oldwestern fanatics! I went there once long ago and saw the messege he left for us to read. He was crazy and obsessed with FreeMasonary and many things. He was a rebel and did all that rebel stuff. He hopped alot of trains and dumbstuff like that. He ended up somewhere in Nevada I hear being a ranch hand. Crazy man. I never seen him since. I left Oakdale for the Army, it wasn't til I returned years later that I saw the messge he wrote, he'd probably been drinking or something foolish. Brought back the old days. I went there again with my family today. Its funny you should ask me about Chicken Boy. I knew him very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloridejones View Post
    I'll tell you who Chicken Boy really is! In the 1990's I went to Oakdale High School with this oddball everyone called Chicken Boy. He was crazy very original and a legand in his time and everyone liked him well. He used to like hanging around ghost towns especially telegraph city , it was a popular place for country kids in my days everyone knew about it. we were all oldwestern fanatics! I went there once long ago and saw the messege he left for us to read. He was crazy and obsessed with FreeMasonary and many things. He was a rebel and did all that rebel stuff. He hopped alot of trains and dumbstuff like that. He ended up somewhere in Nevada I hear being a ranch hand. Crazy man. I never seen him since. I left Oakdale for the Army, it wasn't til I returned years later that I saw the messge he wrote, he'd probably been drinking or something foolish. Brought back the old days. I went there again with my family today. Its funny you should ask me about Chicken Boy. I knew him very well.
    Thanks for the info, Chloride Jones. I'd be interested to hear more. I went back to a Telegraph City a few days ago. It was the first time I've been there when everything was still green. I didn't go close to any of the structures on account of the gates that used to stand wide open are closed now. I didn't want to trespass. I kept hoping that maybe the landowner would drive by with a trailer full o' cattle and I could ask permission to go in, but a man can stand in the middle of that old road and wait for hours without havin' to move for a car. It's pretty deserted.

I have some some pictures maybe I'll post later. In the meantime, any additional info on Chicken Boy and also the old history of the town would be appreciated.

Thread Information