Thread: rhyolite updates?

Default rhyolite updates?

hello all,

i will be making a road trip to Rhyolite NV in the next couple weeks, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or updates? I have found some great stuff on the web, but nothing too current. If anyone has any news they'd like to share I'd love to hear it.

Also, are there any must see ghost towns in the near vacinty of Rhyolite? from the info on ghosttowns.com, there are too many for me to visit them all. i am particularily interested in desolate ruins, so if anyone has any addition advice it would be greatly appriciated.

thanks,
    matt

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

To my knowledge not much has changed out there. IIRC there are still caretakers living in Rhyolite. As for other towns to see, I can't really offer up anything other as what is listed on the site. The best places to see seem like they are either on serious 4X roads or in Death Valley (on more serious 4X roads). I'd recommend exploring Goldfield and Tonopah, though not total ghost towns, they do have interesting sites to see. Maybe swing by Silver Peak. Plus the mine tour in Tonopah is quite a thrill I hear (still haven't been there myself ) Unfortunately most everything relatively close to Vegas has been vandalized or moved to other sites.

I do know we have had some wild fires in the area, but I know of none that have threatened any GT's. And the summer monsoon's have been wreaking havoc all over, so roads might be iffy here and there.

And it's warm out there, so carry plenty of agua

what's up Matt. Rhyolite is by far the coolest ghost town I've ever been too. You will love it,especially if you like desolate ruins as it definitely has those. Also like Gary said do take loads of water

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Rhyolite

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc
    hello all,

i will be making a road trip to Rhyolite NV in the next couple weeks, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or updates? I have found some great stuff on the web, but nothing too current. If anyone has any news they'd like to share I'd love to hear it.

Also, are there any must see ghost towns in the near vacinty of Rhyolite? from the info on ghosttowns.com, there are too many for me to visit them all. i am particularily interested in desolate ruins, so if anyone has any addition advice it would be greatly appriciated.

thanks,
    matt
    Rhyolite, We agree it is a very special place we were there several times in the mid sixtys and got to meet the lady care taker at the R/R Depot.

Some don't know that the famouse Earp Brothers walk the streets of Rhyolte, along with many other famouse people like D V Scotty spent time in Rhyolte.

Be sure to take in the museum and meet the McCoys the care takers and pick up Suzys books on the history of Rhyolte.

We sent some very historical photos to Suzy to put in the museun of Bullfrog, when it was booming. Bullfrog was the small camp that started the big gold rush to Rhyolite Nevada.

We also sent some photos to Sheriff Stone, in Gold Point, of his town when the sign on the P O said Horn Silver, takeing in the early 1920s to put in their museum.

hope you take pictures and share your experiences with us on the bulletin board. Have fun!

Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 07-27-2006 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc
    hello all,

thanks,
    matt
    Try private messg. Bob (aka- Yet another Bob) he seems to have some
    insight on the area between Rhyolite and Las Vegas. should be plenty of other locations to explore.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Default Structure-wise request

I've been waiting for a free moment to jump in. Other than Rhyolite, there aren't too many places with structures. You've already heard about Gold Point, Goldfield and Tonopah. The remaining locations are a bit of work to get to and/or lack structure remains. Remember that wood was a precious commodity and when the residents moved on they took their wood (buildings) with them. The one place you might enjoy is Elizade. There are several 1930s white colored and mostly intact cement structures and buildings associated with the Philipine financed Elizalde Cement Company plant that was built pre WWII and never amounted to much. They are located about a mile toward Beatty from Cararra (Little remains) off 95 and only about a half a mile up a dirt road from U.S. 95. I will attend a BLM Resource Advisory Committee meeting in Beatty in third week of August and one of the things planned is a review of future Plans for Rhyolite. Not sure there will anything of immediate interest but if you don’t get there before the 20th look back here.
    Last edited by Bob; 07-27-2006 at 02:34 PM.
    Yet Another Bob

I just posted up a report on our visit this last weekend.

Where are you coming from?

btw, the books from Alan H. Patera on Rhyolite are very good.

Eric A. Mayer
    "The Desert is my Church and Hunting is my God" - EAM

Thread Information