View Poll Results: Take it or leave it?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd take it and add it to my collection of "stuff"

18 36.00%
  • Yes, I'd take it and donate it to a Historical Society or museum.

10 20.00%
  • No, I wouldn't take it under any circumstances.

13 26.00%
  • No, I wouldn't take it, but it would bother me knowing it was there.

9 18.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Take it or leave it? A questions of ethics.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Question Take it or leave it? A question of ethics.

Suppose while you're exploring a secluded GT, abandoned ranch or similar, you find a really neat old lantern or even a pretty pearl button. Do you take it or leave it? If you leave it for "future generations" don't you think the next person there will take it?

Note: names will not show with voting, so please vote.
    Last edited by LauraA; 08-06-2006 at 03:12 AM.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA
    Suppose while you're exploring a secluded GT, abandoned ranch or similar, you find a really neat old lantern or even a pretty pearl button. Do you take it or leave it? If you leave it for "future generations" don't you think the next person there will take it?

Note: names will not show with voting, so please vote.
    I know its wrong, and I would burn in **** for doing it, but someday I'd like to have a collection of just "one". One thing that I found on the trail that is really old, really cool, and brings back fond memories.

The trouble with the "just one" theory is that it wouldn't necessarily bring back good memories.
    Say (for argument's sake) that you took somethin that was pretty cool and you were young and self centered and didn't really think about it. So you take it. Then you're out at some site and there's nothing there - you wonder who took the stuff and if it's sitting in a house somewhere gathering dust.

When you get home you see your "trophy" and all you can think is how dissapointing it was to not see anything on your last jaunt. So the thing brings you no pleasure yet you have to keep carting it around 'cause you just can't throw it out. So what you get is a big fat reminder of what a turdball you used to be.

Of course I am just supposin' here.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by NWNative
    The trouble with the "just one" theory is that it wouldn't necessarily bring back good memories.
    Say (for argument's sake) that you took somethin that was pretty cool and you were young and self centered and didn't really think about it. So you take it. Then you're out at some site and there's nothing there - you wonder who took the stuff and if it's sitting in a house somewhere gathering dust.

I guess you have a valid point. But if I happen upon a cache of gold bars beneath the floor of some miner's cabin, I ain't sharing. I don't care how bad it makes me feel.

When you get home you see your "trophy" and all you can think is how dissapointing it was to not see anything on your last jaunt. So the thing brings you no pleasure yet you have to keep carting it around 'cause you just can't throw it out. So what you get is a big fat reminder of what a turdball you used to be.

Of course I am just supposin' here.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

It poses a couple of tough questions. On one hand, if you take it, it's going to be shown to other people along with the story of how and where it was found, opening topics of discussion and perhaps even awareness of history that might not have even been thought about before. On the other hand, it was left there by someone previously for us to find. Is it the right thing to do to take it now? After seeing some of the GTs, ranches and abandoned mines and seeing what disrespectful morons have done to them (graffiti, smashing old bottles and windows, etc.) I believe it might be conservation in a sense by taking the item.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

An old lantern. Not an issue. You take it and take care of it. No graffiti, no windows, no doors, but an old lantern, of course. And the gold bars,,,,In a heartbeat... OJ

I'd say it depends on what it is, where it is, and the likely hood of someone else taking it. I've seen situations where if I had taken something, I could have donated it back to the place when a historical society took over the place afterwards.
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.explorehistoricalif.com
    www.cerrogordo.us

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Cecile
    I'd say it depends on what it is, where it is, and the likely hood of someone else taking it. I've seen situations where if I had taken something, I could have donated it back to the place when a historical society took over the place afterwards.
    About the way I see it too. I take pictures like mad, but if it was something of serious historical value, I'd likely snag it and give it to the closest museum.

Sorry Brian, but if I found some hidden gold bullion, you'd have to share the bench with me in ****

Just taking pictures of the place seems to do it for me. Although there was this one time that I was very deep in a mine that had a bunch of empty Hercules Powder boxes that I just couldn't resist. Now I'm pretty sure that no one else would have been dumb enough to go that deep in this mine and in combination with the fact that there were multiple boxes down there I didn't feel so bad. In addition to that I later found that this particular mine has be reclaimed by the state so no one else will ever see it again anyway.

Being on this topic what does everyone think about bottle collecting? I for one don't do it, but it seems like every time I go to an abandoned site that is easily accessible there are groups of people scanning the hills for bottles.

I've seen the bottle collectors out there too, they're a voracious bunch. Unfortunately, most good bottles I've seen have been smashed or used as target practice. If I found one that was unusual and attractive, I'd probably snag it. I think it's justifiable that you took the Hercules Powder box, I wonder if they'll remove the rest before they blast or bulldoze the mine? If not, perhaps someday, future archaeologists might find it....we can only hope.

Thread Information