View Poll Results: Take it or leave it?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd take it and add it to my collection of "stuff"

18 36.00%
  • Yes, I'd take it and donate it to a Historical Society or museum.

10 20.00%
  • No, I wouldn't take it under any circumstances.

13 26.00%
  • No, I wouldn't take it, but it would bother me knowing it was there.

9 18.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Take it or leave it? A questions of ethics.

Default No Feathers

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    Shifting gears,

I was leading a Boy Scout hike one time in Joshua Tree before the N. Park days. I was 17. I took the scouts up to a high peak above the campsite--a peak almost no people ever climbed. There at the top were twenty eagle feathers---huge beautiful perfect molt feathers from a spot that the eagles would sit and watch the valley. I --- .

If I took those magnificent feathers, I'd still have them to show people the wonder of the great birds. The feathers are twice as large as a vulture feather---huge. However, it would be illegal to even posses such things. It is illegal to collect any wild bird feather.

What did I do? What should I have done?

NJ
    Man, am I in trouble. I have been collecting feathers for my little neighbor for years. She told me one day that she had no feathers and her friend had 17. So to help her out I started picking up feathers. Now I read this:

Can I keep the molted feather of a bird that I found?
    Unfortunately, no; that is, not legally. Although it may seem harmless, today’s laws were made to protect birds from illegal poaching and trafficking. These laws were required to stop trade in egret and heron plumes and eagle feathers, along with the unlawful killing and trade of other birds, including endangered species in the United States and around the world.

May I retrieve feathers of birds killed by cars or other accidental means?
    No. Birds and their parts can not be possessed by individuals.
    Can I keep the feathers of birds killed by a hunter?
    No. Only a hunter with an appropriate hunting license can keep such feathers or skins containing feathers.
    May I keep a bird nest I found in my yard?
    No. Bird nests may not be collected or possessed by individuals.
    Can I keep the egg of a bird that I found?
    No. Although egg collecting (oology) was permitted during earlier centuries, this archaic practice is no longer permitted.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Thank God, I don't have those feathers right now. If I were to look at them sitting on my window ledge, forty years later, out of the sunlight, proud and beautiful, forty years of telling folk what a magnificent bird is the golden eagle and how huge the bird is and what giant feathers grace its body, it would just trouble me to know that I had committed an illegal act. And all of you should take this to heart and do the right thing.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

So what am supposed to do when my wife's big Macaw molts and looses a 2 foot feather? Stick it up.............well never mind.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Oy gewalt! Back in the '70s I found an eagle's feather in the middle of nowhere at my grandparents' place in British Columbia, and I took it home. I gave it to someone else years ago, but am I still cursed?!!!

I wonder if American Indians are exempt from these stupid rules?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'm According to this, Mountain-Prairie Region Office of Law Enforcement Native Americans can get eagle feathers if they have a proper permit.

I think it must be illegal to pick up dog poop in my neighborhood... Nobody seems to do it???
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I think it's funny you can't have a birds nest. They fall out of the trees in my yard every time the wind blows really hard. I just sweep them up and toss them, but maybe I should call the Dept. of Wildlife to remove them
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Actually, it is pretty easy and pretty crazy all at the same time to get permission to "study" or "collect" in our public lands. I have been working on a number of new species of Arachnids (harvestmen) the last few years and have needed permission to collect some specimens in the California desert areas. The BLM biologists talk to you on the phone, figure it out right away and give you the go-ahead. Pretty sensible and good biology. The state parks have a two page form that a lawyer needs to fill out and then maybe by next year you get an answer. Since I am not affiliated with any major university or museum, I can't put answers in half the boxes. Fortunately, the one find I did make in a state park happened to be on private land.

But the rules are there for a reason, and I respect them. It is the administrators that can be a problem, but all I have dealt with have been very helpful.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Thread Information