View Poll Results: Take it or leave it?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd take it and add it to my collection of "stuff"

18 36.00%
  • Yes, I'd take it and donate it to a Historical Society or museum.

10 20.00%
  • No, I wouldn't take it under any circumstances.

13 26.00%
  • No, I wouldn't take it, but it would bother me knowing it was there.

9 18.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Take it or leave it? A questions of ethics.

I'm not quite sure if they went in and grabbed the rest of the boxes. I do know that most of the crews that the state hires to do the reclaiming have no interest in that type of stuff anyway so my bet is that they just covered the entrance and moved on to the next mine to be reclaimed. This was the second time around of being reclaimed for this particular mine and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if someone dug it out again.
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraA
    I've seen the bottle collectors out there too, they're a voracious bunch. Unfortunately, most good bottles I've seen have been smashed or used as target practice. If I found one that was unusual and attractive, I'd probably snag it. I think it's justifiable that you took the Hercules Powder box, I wonder if they'll remove the rest before they blast or bulldoze the mine? If not, perhaps someday, future archaeologists might find it....we can only hope.

My Dad has an old pick axe and something else they got from an old mine site his cousin took us to on vacation around 1970. I hope to actually find this site this year on our trip (Idaho/Montana) as I'm having pictures made of the old slides he took. His cousin has moved and probably doesn't remember where it was he took us. We talked about sending the items back to the local history society in the future.
    Brad

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Brad, I think one thing is for sure, nobody appreciates these "treasures" as much as those of us who value the historical significance of our find.
    I'm sure you've wondered about the person who used that pick axe and wished it could tell its story.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Question How Did This Poll Do?

How did this poll turn out in Aug. Laura?

We thought you may have calulated your votes and this may be "appropriate" " time to ask or bump an answer out of you.

Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    How did this poll turn out in Aug. Laura?

We thought you may have calulated your votes and this may be "appropriate" " time to ask or bump an answer out of you.

Johnnie & Sheila
    It looks like it's a dead heat, we'd either take it and add it to our own personal collection of "stuff" or we'd take it and donate it to an appropriate agency. Either way, we'd sure bump it from its original location.

I voted that I'd give it to a museum.

It still bothers me and Bob Ballad that he didn't claim salvage rights on the Titanic and the next people who went looking for it plundered it.

Not a fair question... to a lantern collector! Of course I'd preserve it and prevent it from getting smashed by vandals - by bringing it home. I do document things I have with the specifics of their 'find' location whenever possible. Incidentally, I have never found a lantern in a ghost town but have in abandoned homesteads. One time I found a superb condition nickel plated Rayo lamp base, with burner, in an abandoned house - all it needed was the glass chimney and a wick. I stashed it outside very well as I couldn't bring it back at that time. I could not believe my eyes when I went back to retrieve it a few months later - some one /some group had found it and smashed it - flat. I was heart sick. From then on.... anything like that was better stashed or taken to safety. The only other lantern story I like is a fellow I used to know, a RR collector, found the relic remains of a smashed railroad lantern at the site of the 1910 Wellington disaster up here in Wash. What a cool relic it was, I wouldn't mind getting it but we had a falling out (he went weird I think due to a mental illness, sad). My friends and I have put things back up at old sites or made minor preservation attempts only to have it undone by vandals later on. I swear 90% of the people who go to these old places do not have history or respect on their mind.

I had a really weird thing happen to me the first time I visited the Indian ruins on Bloody Basin Rd.

When I arrived I was the only one there. The weather was nice, light breeze. I got out of my truck and was getting ready to get a pack out when the wind picked up and it blew so hard it slammed the door shut, then died down again.

Read into it what you want but after that I tend to leave things where they are and just take a lot of pix.

Disclosure---my brother is one of the top anthropologists on the west coast. Two years ago, I was along on a dig with him on Santa Rosa Island in the Santa Barbara Channel.

We were there for early American evidence from about 13,000 years ago. Our campsite was near a Chumash site from 500 to 3,000 years ago. There were things that were found that were left in place. But some stuff was kept and cataloged for the museum.

Pigmy mammoth bones, tusks, and molars were photographed, GPS'd and left in place and a report was sent to the guy who did ancient mammals. I was with an anthro group.

Point is, take a photo, map the location, do some field notes, and turn them over to the museum curator in charge of the area ASAP. You are not a curator. Curators of other disciplines are limited as well. If they won't touch it---you should not. If you want to get some respect for your work as a history sleuth, do it the right way and you will feel real good about it.

NJ
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 11-01-2009 at 06:57 PM.
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Sounds like good advice.
    Gran Gran keeps a box of spiders.
    She says they're on me when I sleep.
    Waiting in the out-house for me.
    underneath the seat.

Thread Information