Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ? For the gun folks

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default ? For the gun folks

I guess this could be a poll too, but in your opinion, who makes the best firing replica revolvers from the late 1800's (think old Western) ?

I have been looking to get a .45 to mostly plink with, but want one that is both a well functioning fire arm and yet closely resembles those of that era.

I have looked at Guns America and they have quite a few, and I like the look of these ones: http://www.iar-arms.com/model1873.htm

Just wondering if anyone else has the same thing and uses it enough to pass judgment?

Gary, I don't know much about the ones that you have pictured, but I can recommend the Ruger single actions. I worked with my dad at his gun shop (til he passed away in '97) for a lot of years, and have sold/shot most of the Ruger line-up. The Vaquero's and the Blackhawk's are both strong guns, and are available in different finishes, calibers, barrel lengths, sight combo's etc. The Blackhawk's are relatively inexpensive (I think there's a gun show coming up here soon), and very strong. Might fit the bill!

Goat

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    I guess this could be a poll too, but in your opinion, who makes the best firing replica revolvers from the late 1800's (think old Western) ?

I have been looking to get a .45 to mostly plink with, but want one that is both a well functioning fire arm and yet closely resembles those of that era.

I have looked at Guns America and they have quite a few, and I like the look of these ones: http://www.iar-arms.com/model1873.htm

Just wondering if anyone else has the same thing and uses it enough to pass judgment?
    I think you mean non-firing buddy. I wish I could be of some help, but I only know about the ones that throw lead.
    Sometimes, the prices of really good replicas approach the cost of a good used (real) gun. Have you thought about using a real gun and keeping it unloaded?

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Goat
    Gary, I don't know much about the ones that you have pictured, but I can recommend the Ruger single actions. I worked with my dad at his gun shop (til he passed away in '97) for a lot of years, and have sold/shot most of the Ruger line-up. The Vaquero's and the Blackhawk's are both strong guns, and are available in different finishes, calibers, barrel lengths, sight combo's etc. The Blackhawk's are relatively inexpensive (I think there's a gun show coming up here soon), and very strong. Might fit the bill!

Goat
    Ditto that. Ruger single-actions are pretty cheap and nearly indestuctible. A lot of re-enactors use them including the shows in Tombstone and elsewhere here in Arizona.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x
    I think you mean non-firing buddy. I wish I could be of some help, but I only know about the ones that throw lead.
    Sometimes, the prices of really good replicas approach the cost of a good used (real) gun. Have you thought about using a real gun and keeping it unloaded?
    No, I want that slings lead, but one that resembles the original Colt's and such. I think I'd enjoy that more than a Sig .40 any day

You can buy the real ones all day long if you got a few grand to spend, but buying an authentic that I would be afraid to shoot and possibly damage would seem like a waste IMO. I like to collect guns, but I also like having them be usable too.

Quote Originally Posted by Total Wreck
    There are importers that bring in mostly Italian made replicas, (Taylors, Cimarron) that are very authentic to the old Colt single action army, (SAA)..................... TW
    Thanks, that's type of info I was looking for. My Dad has a Colt .22 Mag six shot that is from the 60's and a real hoot to plink with, and it resembles the old .45 Colts except in size. I'm sure once I have one that I like, I can have it tinkered with if need be, it's just finding one out of the box that is decent to start with that had me wondering.

I honestly didn't know Ruger was making new single actions that resemble the originals. I have a Ruger .22 and like it, so maybe I'll check into them some more.

Thanks guys.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The testosterone level on this topic is enough to give me hives but here's my contribution to the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA
    The testosterone level on this topic is enough to give me hives but here's my contribution to the subject.

Actually, in searching for Colt SAA's, I came across the CAS Society (Cowboy Action Shooter) and found not only that there are 4 clubs in my own town, but that there are numerous women and children competing across the country.

Revolvers are also more recommended for personal protection for women and gun novices as they are more simplistic in design which leads to easier maintenance as opposed to automatics. They also tend to not jamb on you at the wrong time

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'm also a firm believer that "forewarned is forearmed" although, I'm not "into" guns so to speak, I carry a 25 cal Colt in my fanny pack when we're on the trail and we also have some Italian made something or other 44 in the Jeep. Traveling the backroads up here, one never knows when one will inadvertently stumble upon someone's well guarded pot field. We're also lucky enough to have a wacked-out, cult type group of survivalists who have taken over an old ranch up in the mountains. I'd hate to come upon one of these black-clad, gun-toting, extremists without being armed.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA
    I'm also a firm believer that "forewarned is forearmed" although, I'm not "into" guns so to speak, I carry a 25 cal Colt in my fanny pack when we're on the trail and we also have some Italian made something or other 44 in the Jeep. Traveling the backroads up here, one never knows when one will inadvertently stumble upon someone's well guarded pot field. We're also lucky enough to have a wacked-out, cult type group of survivalists who have taken over an old ranch up in the mountains. I'd hate to come upon one of these black-clad, gun-toting, extremists without being armed.
    I thought all pot growers were hippie, tree-hugging save the whales liberal anti-gun zealots. I guess I could be wrong.

Thread Information