Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are all the good sites in So. AZ off limits?

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Are all the good sites in So. AZ off limits?

I don't want this to sound like whining, and I apologize if it does, but are all the good ghost towns in Southern Arizona off limits?

Most of you know of my trials and tribulations that have followed me in my attempt to find the Black Diamond mine. The main trail is fenced in by a locked gate (albiet illegally, I'm told) and I nearly got myself killed trying to get around it.

I've found no tresspassing signs near Gleeson, Courtland, fenced in prime locations near Tombstone, and of course Ruby is Pay-per-view, which sorta takes all adventure out of it.

Silverbell is plowed under, Copper Creek is now off limits (as well as the Bunker Hill mine and all remains in that area).

I hear Duquesne is sold and now closed off (I have so many fond memories of that place) so further exploration of the area is shut down for good.

So, I find myself asking, is it still a worthwhile hobby? (In this area of the state) I'm about to sell the death trap ATV on EBay, to replace it with something more stable, but still tiny enough to negotiate the trails here. (I've always liked the Suzuki Samurai for being light and nimble).

But I wonder if its still worth the effort? I really don't want to drive all day to get to good sites.

Is Southern Arizona a lost resource for ghost towns? Or am I just inept at locating good leads?

Attached Images Attached Images  

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Total Wreck
    Whinning? OHHHHHHH NNOOOOOOO..I don't wanna!

Yeh yer whinning.
    But you are also right. The good ol'days in Arizona are gone forever. Between human & natural impact there is very little left.

The earliest history in this area was centered around Tubac, Tucson & the Heintzelman mine, (Cerro Colorado). Tucson is a chit hole of a city with no regard for its roots, Tubac is an artsy fartsy tourist trap in the middle of yuppie McMansions, & Cerro Colorado has been deliberately leveled so no evidence of a town remain.

Ruby is as you say "pay per view", Salero & Duquesne are privately owned & visitors plum aint welcome. Of course if they weren't locked down for all these years there would be nothing left of them either.

Alto is worth a trip if you havent seen it, beautiful setting. Also the Worlds Fair in the Patagonias.

The northern part of the state is the same, touristy like Jerome or enthusiasticly defended pot farms like the Bradsaws.

The fact is AZ has been the fastest growing state for many years & this is the result. I guess its Nevadas turn now.

Growing up here we used to sit up on the hill & look towards the Catalinas at night & only see about a dozen lights & reach out & touch the milky way.

No worries though, we'll run out of water soon & then they will stop building.

Thats showbiz.

TW
    Thanks, TW. At least I have my other hobbies, unless they outlaw fast motorcycles as "too dangerous" or the liberals try to take my guns away. President Hillary?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm feeling the same way, fella's. A lot of sites are off limits, and Southern Nevada, too, is running low on water.

The plus side, of course, is that as water restrictions become tighter, the weeding out process will start. Developers will stop building, and investors will stop buying property and inflating housing prices. Man, every day I hear people complaining about the heat- it's a desert! Try not running the air con in your car for a summer, you'll acclimate pretty quickly.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just feeling crowded in Vegas, I guess!

Hey Brian, have you ever given thought to doing your exploring on a trail bike, instead of a quad? I've got some 200's and 125's, and they get me where I wanna go. You just have to put on a CamelBak for liquid, and carry a few tools in a fanny pack, and that's it.

Goat

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Maybe we're luckier than most because of where we live. There are still quite a few places up here in the Salome Wilderness and the Sierra Ancha Wilderness. (no vehicle traffic permitted, gotta hike to these) as well as in the Tonto National Forest. The ones we've found in the TNF are mining camps, not actual towns, it's doubtful that there was ever a post office in some of these remote locations. We enjoy finding the old mining camps, they're a bit more personal than an actual GT and certainly less frequented by people than an actual GT.
    We haven't run into many locked gates, just closed gates where entry is permitted as long as the gate is closed again to keep free range cattle from wandering. Being a national forest, of course there isn't much private land within its boundaries, just some ranches, homesteads and small developments like the one we live in.
    The forest service had a meeting several months ago for locals, to clarify a few things about possible road closures and superfund money allocated to close up old mines. I don't think the forest service people, (at least our local rangers) are as zealous as BLM is to close off mines, they seem to feel as we do, that these places should be preserved and not destroyed. We're keeping our fingers crossed that they'll leave some of our prime locations alone and let nature take its course, so far, so good.
    Thankfully, we're not seeing development in our area, we're too far from the big city and other than the fabulous scenery, beautiful lake, super nice people, there isn't much here to attract people.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Goat
    I'm feeling the same way, fella's. A lot of sites are off limits, and Southern Nevada, too, is running low on water.

The plus side, of course, is that as water restrictions become tighter, the weeding out process will start. Developers will stop building, and investors will stop buying property and inflating housing prices. Man, every day I hear people complaining about the heat- it's a desert! Try not running the air con in your car for a summer, you'll acclimate pretty quickly.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just feeling crowded in Vegas, I guess!

Hey Brian, have you ever given thought to doing your exploring on a trail bike, instead of a quad? I've got some 200's and 125's, and they get me where I wanna go. You just have to put on a CamelBak for liquid, and carry a few tools in a fanny pack, and that's it.

Goat
    Yes, yes I have. Lack of storage was my main concern. I'm fairly spoiled having a cooler handy at all times, and then there's the fantasy of finding "something" and not being able to bring it back.

I guess thats where duct tape comes in handy???

I may have to re-consider. I know street bikes pretty well. What would you recommend for a fat, middle-aged guy like me?

Brian.............If you're looking for info on Suzuki Samarais, check out a club of "Zuke" owners called the "Zukes of Arizona". I've four-wheeled with a few of them, and think they are way underpowered, but most of these guys have a blast with 'em. Good luck..........

Whew, that's a tough one! Since you're an experienced street guy, you know the basics, so that's an obstacle already conquered. You really can't go wrong with a Honda XR400 or XR250. Reliable as rocks, and always available. If you want an electric start on it, then there's the Yamaha TTr250. If you want something shorter with an electric start (but anemic power), Honda and Yamaha both make 230's that fit the bill. All of the bikes have a pretty good aftermarket trove available, too.

Goat

Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron
    Brian.............If you're looking for info on Suzuki Samarais, check out a club of "Zuke" owners called the "Zukes of Arizona". I've four-wheeled with a few of them, and think they are way underpowered, but most of these guys have a blast with 'em. Good luck..........
    The "Zuke" my be my best bet yet. I've considered one for years. I drove one off road years ago and was amazed at its agility.

Based on that experience, I feel the early Zuke to be the logical successor to the old "flat-fender" Jeep of WW2.

yes, its grossly underpowered, but so was the original Jeep. So, some might add, are the late model 4- banger Jeeps. (Sorry laura)

That said, I never felt horsepower was nearly as important as good gearing on the trail. If I remember right, in 4-lo, that old Zuke would climb just like a javalina with its arse on fire.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x
    I feel the early Zuke to be the logical successor to the old "flat-fender" Jeep of WW2.

yes, its grossly underpowered, but so was the original Jeep. So, some might add, are the late model 4- banger Jeeps. (Sorry laura)

Yep, can't argue that fact, on the highway going up hills, you can hear it say, "I think I can, I think I can," (especially with the air conditioner on, drastically cutting power) but four wheeling off road, it does really well. The only obstacles thus far have only been my severe fear of heights and tippy narrow roads that even the flaming javelina would bypass.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Total Wreck
    I guess its Nevadas turn now.

No worries though, we'll run out of water soon & then they will stop building.

TW
    You can keep that claim all you want. And soon South Arizona will turn to stealing water from it's other counties just like they are doing here. Pump the state dry so the yuppies can play their golf on green grass and wash their Escalades every day.

If it were me, I'd turn Clark County over to California and line the county line with Rednecks armed with shotguns and dogs frothin' at the mouth with rabies with permission kill anyone trying to taint the rest of this state.

But only after I find a job North of this cess pool we call Vegas

Thread Information