Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have information about road closures?

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Biggest problem is most of the greenies think camping should be limited to your back yard. Drop them off in the Jarbidge or any Alaskan Wilderness and see how fast hey call for a dozer to come free them and their stranded Volvo.

Default road closures

the blm and forest service school trust and others can not close off roads even if they are not on an official map.
    any road or trail used by the public for 10 years becomes a public road and can only be abandoned by the public according to the law in each state. by public meetings and votes ect.
    blm and forest are not public contrary to popular belief. once a road has been used no matter how long ago for ten years it remains public until abandon leagally blm ect can not just close the roads even if redundant. these roads need not be used everyday only once in a while even one time in ten years. i have learned this through meetings with the state of utah lawyers that have said blm puts up signs pull them down and go through. the states lawyers have notified the blm ect of this in the same meeting and that the state would defend anyone that removed blockage including in wilderness areas.
    also i have spent the last 7 years fighting to close a road across my land that the public claims from use. the land owner and family i purchased my land from closed the road every seven years for about a 100 years by standing in the road for 24 hours with signs on blockade. judges ruled that this was not enough the public used it when ever necessary and convinent. the utah apellet court has ruled that locked gates and fences also signs on gate post dont count if the public used the road one time during the ten years without being stoped. and one creditable witness is enough.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Biggest problem is most of the greenies think camping should be limited to your back yard. Drop them off in the Jarbidge or any Alaskan Wilderness and see how fast hey call for a dozer to come free them and their stranded Volvo.
    I always thought those people drove Suburu Foresters and Rav-4's?...
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Not only do we have the greenies coming in by the thousands monthly, but we also have the urban cowboys. Just yesterday I saw an older gentleman driving a Rav-4 with a spare tire cover that boldly said "Arizona Cowboy". This clown had armor-alled tires, jet black Elvis hair, complimentary moustache, and straw hat to boot. He had to come from Ca. or possibly Vegas. Heh heh....

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

We've learned a few things since this thread was begun.
    In our area of the Tonto National Forest the Forest Service regularly schedules meetings for interested parties to attend. We can give our input, make comments and suggestions and help correct Forest Service maps. Once we're on their mailing list, they keep us informed of the status of different roads in the area, what's closed, what's being reopened etc. Some of the closures are temporary because there are nesting critters at the time, but they'll reopen them once the critters are gone. We don't have a problem with them closing "redundant" roads because there's always another route to take that'll pretty much take us to the same area as the road that's been closed.
    If a road is closed to motorized vehicles and we want to go, we don't take down signs, instead we'll put on hiking boots and backpacks and go on foot.
    We've got meetings scheduled this week and next to discuss changes that'll be made in the Tonto Ranger District, along with the meeting notice, they've sent maps of proposed changes so folks will have the opportunity to look over the proposed changes and make suggestions at the upcoming meetings...seems fair enough to me.

Footnote:
    Recently there has been a rash cattle shootings in our area. This sort of behavior only reinforces what the greenies are saying about closing off access to certain areas.
    Here's a link containing pictures of a couple of the dead steers, I won't post them here, too gruesome.

Jeeping FR1070 & FR225. The good, the bad and the dead.

After a busy weekend, the backroads become littered with beer bottles, cans and general trash,(even McDonalds wrappers, the nearest McDonalds is 30 miles away) leaving it to locals to clean up the mess left by
    irresponsible visitors.
    Last edited by LauraA; 03-05-2007 at 05:50 AM.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs up

We just received a meeting notice from the local (Tonto Basin) ranger district to discuss opening new roads and reopening several roads which were previously closed. They're also planning on reopening several areas which were closed to all entry.
    The notice says;
    "The purpose is to improve management of the road network in the Roosevelt area, by ensuring that National Forest land, soil, vegetation, and wildlife is conserved and used wisely, while allowing reasonable access to the National Forest, Roosevelt Lake, the Salt River and three major tracts of private land."
    In my opinion, this is a positive result of meetings with the Forest Service and is proof that someone is listening to us. I'm going to remain optimistic that something positive can come out of these meetings with the eventual result of an overall plan that all factions can live with.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hopefully the NFS and BLM learned some things from the past summer's fires. A lot of places in California alone had been closed off, allowing access roads to become grown over. When the fires started, they had to bulldoze new roads so the fire crews could get in to try and control the fires. So the end result was terrain scarred by hastily graded roads that would likely have not been needed if the access would have not been shut down; and millions of acres burnt that might have been saved had time time not been wasted creating access so that the crews could get in. I've heard numerous reports of areas completely destroyed by fire being planned on becoming reopened just to keep the access roads in traveling shape for future fires. A little late The highest record # of fires and acreage burnt on record since they started keeping track. Hundreds of wild game animals euthanized do to the lack of feed. Etc, etc.

Someday man will become smart enough to realize the Earth can take pretty good care of itself without his help.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

We attended a local meeting last night with the Tonto Nat'l Forest Service to discuss future openings and closings of roads in our immediate area, mostly around Roosevelt Lake. The meeting went well, I got the impression they were at least listening to what we had to say. I realize that whatever they finally come up with isn't going to please everyone, but it's good to at least feel involved in the process.
    I was unlucky enough to be seated next to a foul-smelling, unkempt, "Greenie" who had driven all the way up from Phoenix to make his opinions known. This jerk wants to close all roads that go through riparian areas, all dry-washes and ban all OHV use in National Forests. He didn't identify which group he was affiliated with, but judging by the maps he had with him, it looked to be a well organized movement. His maps were color coded, identifying the habitat areas of different animal species living in this area and he wanted immediate closure of all these areas, even to foot traffic. He wasn't warmly accepted by the locals, most of whom were trying to get more roads opened not more areas closed. The thing I'm concerned about with morons like this one attending meetings, is how much impact they'll have in the final outcome?
    I brought up the fact that some of the proposed road closures would keep people from accessing some areas of historical interest, Indian ruins, mining camps, abandoned ranches and even the former town of Livingston. We'll see how it goes, it's not over just yet, they've got future meetings planned before road openings/closures are implemented. The proverbial fat lady hasn't sung YET.

Now why are these a$$hole "greenies" out to ruin everyone else's fun? And why do officials even listen to them? It's not like there's a whole lot of them, they should be listening to the majority vote. And I know most people do wnat to keep these roads open.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Some of these "greenie" groups such as the Sierra Club, WWF, Nature Conservancy, Friends of Earth and Project Earth, have gazillion dollars backing them, and in turn have huge powerful lobbies in Washington. Politicians are afraid to go against these groups because it's highly unpopular to be viewed as "a person who goes against Mother Nature and wants to do harm to earth and its critter inhabitants." (That's in their words, not mine.) Opposing lobbies are mostly led by vehicle manufacturers, the NRA and of course the big oil companies. It boils down to which side politicians are willing to associate themselves with, someone who wants to save the yellow-bellied-poop wren, or a group that wants to run them over, poison them, or serve them up for dinner.

It's not politically popular to be viewed as someone who doesn't like Pandas.
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  34.3 KB
    Last edited by LauraA; 03-18-2007 at 07:09 AM.

Thread Information