Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have information about road closures?

Well then I guess I'm not politically popular because I don't like pandas! But then I think we already knew that.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Rachel, I don't like 'em either. Maybe a new slogan is called for, "Ban The Panda" or "We Prefer The Teddy (Roosevelt) Bear"

Here's a link I've posted before. It's a good place to vent...It can't hurt to write to some of these Washington yahoos ... errr... elected officials and let them know how we feel about what they're doing, supposedly on our behalf.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Does anyone have any information regarding prospective road closures by the governing bodies in your own areas? Has anyone heard of BLM holding public meetings to get input from interested parties? I've heard that BLM is planning or currently doing that, but I can't imagine it happening.
    I'd like to hear what BLM is up to, most of what we know about is our local area which is either State Land or National Forest.
    Check this link out if you want to read a load of bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo

Last edited by LauraA; 04-03-2007 at 03:20 PM.

I don't know if anyone's interested in this topic or not, but here's a link I came across today. If these folks have their way, access would be extremely limited on trails in the Tonto National Forest.

Last edited by LauraA; 04-09-2007 at 08:20 PM.

I'm going to keep posting to this thread until somebody tells me "enough already!" I think it's an important topic because they're talking about limiting some MAJOR access to the areas we're all going.

Ultimate tree hugger's site.
    ORV Reform Campaign

This one is going to prohibit any new mining claims in some large portions of the Tonto National Forest to help protect the Hedgehog Cactus (we've got zillions of these here, they grow like weeds) Once this one is passed, it'll open the door for futher road closures.
    FR Doc E7-510

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    I'm going to keep posting to this thread until somebody tells me "enough already!" I think it's an important topic because they're talking about limiting some MAJOR access to the areas we're all going.

Ultimate tree hugger's site.
    ORV Reform Campaign

This one is going to prohibit any new mining claims in some large portions of the Tonto National Forest to help protect the Hedgehog Cactus (we've got zillions of these here, they grow like weeds) Once this one is passed, it'll open the door for futher road closures.
    FR Doc E7-510

You think petitions may be of any help? Forum members willing to circulate, may be able to generate enough signatures. Also key locations such as road rallies, and RV parks have many folks prob willing to sign petitions. There's a gt rally coming up in Idaho. Off-roaders have an axe to grind. Folks like GaryB have the 4wd rallies. No telling how far the list goes.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    You think petitions may be of any help? Forum members willing to circulate, may be able to generate enough signatures. Also key locations such as road rallies, and RV parks have many folks prob willing to sign petitions. There's a gt rally coming up in Idaho. Off-roaders have an axe to grind. Folks like GaryB have the 4wd rallies. No telling how far the list goes.
    At this point, I don't think it would hurt.
    However, in my opinion individual letters are more effective because each person has a different point of view when it comes to OHV travel. Also, petitions would need to be sent to the specific agency overseeing whichever section the person signing would be interested in making a statement about, be it BLM, Forest Service, State Lands, etc.
    A blanket statement, "Don't close our access roads" unfortunately isn't enough. It's too late for that. Agencies want more specifics, meaning, they want to know why we want our roads kept open and for what purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    At this point, I don't think it would hurt.
    However, in my opinion individual letters are more effective because each person has a different point of view when it comes to OHV travel. Also, petitions would need to be sent to the specific agency overseeing whichever section the person signing would be interested in making a statement about, be it BLM, Forest Service, State Lands, etc.
    A blanket statement, "Don't close our access roads" unfortunately isn't enough. It's too late for that. Agencies want more specifics, meaning, they want to know why we want our roads kept open and for what purpose.
    Unfortunately, once the feds decide to close an area, even the most comprehensive petitions and letters are relegated to the round file. In a large number cases local resource managers effect what they call "emergency closures" on input from the environmental industry without regard to the facts.

Example: The USFS closed a road in northern California that had been in use since the 1860's. USFS posted the obligatory legal notice in a newspaper 500 miles away and when no one responded, the road was closed.

Example: The BLM closed a nearby area that has been in use by dirt bikers for as long as I can remember to prevent damage to fossil resources. The local, and publically anti OHV, BLM manager was asked for a copy of the impact statement. That manager quickly declared the impact statement to be a classified document and refused to release it. Case closed . . . We lose again.

Example: A prominent mover and shaker within the environmental industry bought property that abutted a national forest. This person didn't like motorcycles, 4×4's or even horses. A quick meeting with the local USFS officials and the area was forever closed to everyone but hikers. Again, no public recourse.

Example: A lame-duck senator who was in the environmental industry's pocket wanted a wilderness area created in Northern Nevada. Said senator snuck a rider on a defense appropriation bill at the last minute and presto . . . a million or so acres of wilderness created overnight. Never mind the fact that the area didn't qualify as a wilderness under the law.

The bottom line is money. The seven most powerful players in the U.S. environmental industry have a combined annual budget of over a billion dollars. I seriously doubt that us evil users of mechanized transportation can muster even a paltry $750k a year. Who do you think will win the war?

Unless us evil off-roaders come together to fight the environmental industry we will continue to be pushed off of public lands. No amount of letters and/or petitions will sway the vote of our elected officials.

Remember, money talks and bull***** walks
    Last edited by Rockcrusher; 04-15-2007 at 12:17 PM.
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrusher View Post
    Unless us evil off-roaders come together to fight the environmental industry we will continue to be pushed off of public lands. No amount of letters and/or petitions will sway the vote of our elected officials.

Remember, money talks and bull***** walks
    I couldn't agree with you more. However, this is the only chance we're going to have to have any objections heard. The Forest Service, BLM and other Federal agencies have a little under three years to draw up a new management plan. The last one was done in the 1980s. The difference this time is they are mandated by Congress to include public input in their final plan. After the different agencies have held public meetings, received and reviewed public input, they then draw up a plan and submit it to Washington for final approval.
    Taken directly from information given to us at one of the Tonto National Forest meetings;
    "Key Features of the New Planning Process
    *Strategic document
    *Public Collaboration
    *Forest Supervisor is the decision maker
    *Social, economic, and ecological sustainability"
    If we aren't proactive, we lose. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an organized National movement of us "Evil off-roaders" but each group, ATVers, Jeepers, Dirt Bikers, etc AND each individual can make their opinions known. I'd rather be vocal now when there's a possibility of having an impact, rather than wait three years after final plans are implemented and complain about it then.

This is the basic outline chart they're working with showing the opportunities for public input.

Name:  Forest Plan Revision.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  46.9 KB
    Last edited by LauraA; 04-16-2007 at 04:45 AM.

It's a shame what they are trying to do with our public lands. I thought "public land" was for us "publics". I hope the land will be open fprever, but I doubt it. By the way.......I always hated those charts. I was never a good bureaucrat, probably why I retired early.....Speedy

Thread Information