Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned mine safety

Default Abandoned mine safety

Does anyone have any resources (websites, books, etc) that discuss safe exploration of abandoned mines? My initial searches yield "the sky is falling" websites that say DON'T EVER DO IT. I realize there are dangers, even significant ones, but I would bet many hobbies such as ATV riding or rock climbing have greater potential risk. I am interested in learning as much as I can and taking reasonable precautions. Any suggestions?

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Kitty Kat
    It's one thing to take all necessary precautions, have a 2nd and/or 3rd person along, rope, boots, powerful flash lights, etc., but at least two things remain possible, both of which are most likely to result in death. First is residual toxic gas fumes, which I acknowledge may be remote, and the air could be tested. The second is possible ceiling/walls collapse (cave in), from which there MAY be no recovery.

To quote Humphrey Bogart "You pays your money, and you takes your chances", or words to that effect.
    bb.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Donnie, You're right, there's virtually no information to be found except those sites with the caveat "KEEP OUT" but of course, those disclaimers don't help out those of us who have a natural curiosity and want to explore the place it took us so long to locate. My general rule of thumb is, if it's got timber supports, I don't go in for the obvious reasons. It's probably not in any way scientific, but if my guts says no, I don't go.
    You don't mention which state you're wanting to explore mines in, if it's an earthquake prone area, I wouldn't even consider it.
    Bad Bob mentions the best precautions,to take, he's old and very, very wise
    There are a few folks on this forum who have experience in caving and mine exploration, hopefully they'll weigh in on the subject. Keep us posted, it's an interesting topic.

The gas fumes are actually my greatest concern because I don't know much about them. Are there affordable carry-along detectors? Do pro's/serious hobbyists use oxygen?

I can't think of a worse nightmare than getting trapped in a collapsed mine, but I am not planning on going into questionable sites. Famous last words...

I live in Idaho, and I was thinking of exploring the mines on Slacks Mt near Silver City.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

One way to get info is to check with the old timers in the exploration area. Especially those that may be familiar with mines.
    Laura, is the wise owl and mentioned mines with timber supports. Those would have to rated once you got there, and perhaps either steer clear, or don't venture too far in. But hard rock mines that have been around for many years are probably sound enough to explore. You can "Google" test kits to see the feasibility of using them. My level of info is based mostly on common sense rather than "mensa". But I'm much obliged fer the kind words anyway Lori.

Yer absolutely right about worst nightmare. I s'pose drowning would also be less than pleasant, another experience similar to suffocating in a collapsed mine. I'm due back at the rest home now, so I'll have to sneak in to the nurse's office to use her computer, if I can remember how, with my alzheimers. Good Luck, and be safe.
    bb.
    Last edited by bad bob; 08-14-2006 at 07:09 PM.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Kitty Kat
    It's one thing to take all necessary precautions, have a 2nd and/or 3rd person along, rope, boots, powerful flash lights, etc., but at least two things remain possible, both of which are most likely to result in death. First is residual toxic gas fumes, which I acknowledge may be remote, and the air could be tested. The second is possible ceiling/walls collapse (cave in), from which there MAY be no recovery.

To quote Humphrey Bogart "You pays your money, and you takes your chances", or words to that effect.
    bb.
    A friend of mine that used to work a claim says you can run into toxic air in as little as TEN feet inside a mine!!!
    That scared me enough so I only went 30 or so feet in last time I found a mine. (Stupid, but curious)
    I wonder if I try breathing through a garden hose from the outside, if that would be ok?

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by cage cat donnie View Post
    The gas fumes are actually my greatest concern because I don't know much about them. Are there affordable carry-along detectors? Do pro's/serious hobbyists use oxygen?

I can't think of a worse nightmare than getting trapped in a collapsed mine, but I am not planning on going into questionable sites. Famous last words...

I live in Idaho, and I was thinking of exploring the mines on Slacks Mt near Silver City.
    I recently read a post from a mine explorer on an ATV forum. He says to be safe, you need to take a four gas ****yzer with you. I think its similar to the one they use to test car emissions. Very expensive and fairly heavy, not to mention you have to also have a power supply.

I wonder where you insert the probe?

Here is a picture of a mine entrance near Silver City. We didn't have flashlights or other gear, so we didn't go in very far. There is a pile of dirt and rock in the entrance, but beyond that the floor is smooth and once had rails. There are several other places on the mt that look like mine locations. We didn't check them, so they may be closed off.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I know how tempting it can be!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post

I wonder where you insert the probe?
    I'm pretty sure the probe goes up the proboscis!
    ...I mean unless it's....well, an
    **** probe, then it goes up the ****yscis.
    bb.

Thread Information