Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned mine safety

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'd start off seeing if you have a local grotto (spelunking group) and maybe hang out with them. Likely you'll learn all you need about repelling safety and gear, helmets, lights. And probably get a list of safe mines/caves to check out as most grotto's are in charge of mapping and other general data recording of caves. We have a few mines in Nevada that are well known homes to large bat colonies, and the local grotto's do their part to keep an eye on them.

www.caves.org

You could stock up on canaries too

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    I recently read a post from a mine explorer on an ATV forum. He says to be safe, you need to take a four gas ****yzer with you. I think its similar to the one they use to test car emissions. Very expensive and fairly heavy, not to mention you have to also have a power supply.
    cc don
    You could spend the money for ****yzers, but maybe you have a buddy, that's kind of a pest.
    Jes' send him in first to check the air. If he doesn't come out, it's a win-win-win.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I found this message board where someone posed the same question about air quality.

If anyone sees Bad Bob, please tell him the nurses are looking for him, it's past time for his warm milk and medications.

Wink

before probing myself with meters or lowering my friend down a rope, I would recommend contacting CAMACE - California Association Of Mine And Cave Explorers. At www.mineexploring.com They are a group of people who frequently explore accessible mine sites and I'm sure have answers to your questions.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

I believe that link has a .org instead of .com. Thanks for posting it.

http://www.mineexploring.org/

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post

If anyone sees Bad Bob, please tell him the nurses are looking for him, it's past time for his warm milk and medications.
    They got me Lonnie. I was on my way to Tucson to show Brian the new **** probe, when the "doctors" stopped me just north of Lake Shasta. Then they made me wear this heavy white shirt thing with shoe laces, where I couldn't swing my arms.
    They gave me something for sleeping, and when I woke up, I was back at the home. My new room has bars on the windows, so it may be a while before I can escape again, and head back up to Tucson Idaho,
    but they can't keep a magician locked up. See ya soon,
    Gilbert

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

awww you poor old timer. Don't worry, I've got a cake in the oven right now...I didn't have a file to put in it, but there's a stick of dynamite inside.

Lucinda Lenore Cakeblaster

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    awww you poor old timer. Don't worry, I've got a cake in the oven right now...I didn't have a file to put in it, but there's a stick of dynamite inside.

Lucinda Lenore Cakeblaster
    Thanky Julia
    What flavor is cake? You know I'm a chocoholic. And please write on the outside of the box in big letters, "This cake contains no file or dynamite". That way the guards...'er I mean nurses..won't bother to check. I'll have to owe ya the IPS charges.
    B. Ron.

Cool Abandoned mine safety

I personally would stay out of any old mine.That's also the same for abandoned buildings.
    You have to worry about falling through floors etc.
    Yes,you can buy portable oxygene tanks.You can contact a medical supply house.My dad due to COPD ,a lung diesase used oxygene,but a medium or large tank that was portable and carried in a metal holder with wheels.
    But there a small portable ones.Don't know if they use batteries.

dvsww2 Guest

Default Bad Air, Bad Mines

Donnie, tell you what. I've been around as old Bad Bob and the reason that we are still around is we listen to our elders and old timers who have been there and done that. It was sort of beat into my head by an old time hard rock miner who knew what he was doing....And the message was don't go into abandoned mine shafts. I have talked to professionals who have explored the mines around Silver City as part of their job and the timbering is so bad in many cases it is just unsafe. The is also a lot of bad air and poor ventilation. One was the chief geologist for the Delamar open pit and they explored the neighboring mines to see what things looked like from the inside of the Mountain. He had a crew with the proper equipment and this was probably 20 years ago. Some of the big mines are multi-level and had main shafts and also dump shafts for the ore and they were boarded over after the hoists were removed and the boards have rotted, so all of a sudden the floor caves in. On many of the mines, there are no maps so rescue would be an impossibility. Also many have not been worked since the turn of the century or since the depression at the latest. Also since some of my friends would probably be the first responders to do a rescue, I don't want to see their lives endangered by having to rescue someone who is stupid.. Use common sense. If every one tells you not to go, then don't go. There was a post by a member of the Grete family who is a pioneer Silver City Family who lives in AZ and he says not to go either. BTW, I first went to Silver City in 1954, so have been at it for a long time. How old are you?

Thread Information