Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned mine safety

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Thanky Julia
    What flavor is cake? You know I'm a chocoholic. And please write on the outside of the box in big letters, "This cake contains no file or dynamite". That way the guards...'er I mean nurses..won't bother to check. I'll have to owe ya the IPS charges.
    B. Ron.
    B. Ron Hubbard,
    Chocolate is the only breed...err Flavor! Please close the back of that hospital gown, the view from here ain't purty
    Flo Nightenmare

(we'd better get back on topic or the other GTers will send a lynch party to git us)

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    B. Ron Hubbard,
    Chocolate is the only breed...err Flavor! Please close the back of that hospital gown, the view from here ain't purty
    Flo Nightenmare

(we'd better get back on topic or the other GTers will send a lynch party to git us)
    Ooops solly....didn't realize it was open...but I guess it was a bit drafty..also, thanks fer the confidence builder.

And this "other" cat has no specific topic to be "on", but I need ta have me neck stretched anyway. Maybe I can eliminate one of my chins!
    B. Reuben

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

B Reuben Saurkraut, fer an old feller yer a pretty sharp cookie (chocolate chip of course) Why didn't I notice we're in the "other" category? Prolly my guilt complex
    Shucks Pappy, I'd even trust you as my honorary mine sniffin, jerky tastin, mule skinin' guide out on the trail.
    Unsolomonlike Solly

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I feel I'm perfectly safe breathing the air in any mine I explore. I usually filter any contaminants through a pair of old underwear. No germ or toxin could possibly survive that journey.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

But not all of us have a pair of your underwear. OJ

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Why didn't I notice we're in the "other" category? Prolly my guilt complex
    Shucks Pappy, I'd even trust you as my honorary mine sniffin, jerky tastin, mule skinin' guide out on the trail.
    Unsolomonlike Solly
    It's ok Mary, better to be safe than...lynched. Have yer nurse...er husband bring ya some warm milk, and don't forget your meds.
    Now, isn't honorary just a figurehead? I can live with that.

Brian.
    First I pictured you with yer jockey shorts strapped to your face as a filter. But you did say underwear, which could also be a t-shirt, so you're back off the hook until it is determined which filter you use.

OJ....Try searching "Tucson underwear filters" on ebay. Hope that helps...If not try Austin Tx thrift shops. Won't necessarily be Brian's but should still work.
    Last edited by bad bob; 08-16-2006 at 08:11 PM.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I ain't got either one. OJ

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

While I agree safest way is not to even go in the mine in the first place, I am reminded that I would rather die doing something I enjoy than die stuck in traffic on I-15 as some truck load of illegals runs me over on the way to work. That being said, I agree with and support doing things in the safest manner as dieing because of a stupid mistake is not high on my to do list. Experienced spelunkers/mine explorers can teach others the best, safe way to explore mines/caves.
    My point is, we all do things we shouldn't as it harms our health in one way or another, but if in fact we find we must do it, at least take the measures and steps to ensure our safety as far as our control will allow us.
    Last edited by GaryB; 08-16-2006 at 08:11 PM.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I tired to eBay some of Brian's dirty drawers, but I couldn't afford the coinage they went for. Seems he wears a popular size in Tuscon

It's hard to overcome real curiosity and not enter a mine that it's taken you months to locate in the first place. I agree with Gary, try to be as safe as possible, but to actually stay out, that's probably more willpower than I've got. Some mines look more inviting than others. A huge swarm of bees at the entrance, a few rattlers coiled up inside or rotted wood beams will definitely keep me away, but if it looks ok, I'm curious enough to venture in, and so far, so good. If it involves old wooden ladders, nope, I'm not going and since I'm a lousy climber, I wouldn't go down into a vertical shaft either. I think it's human nature to take risks to achieve the results we want within our capabilities.

Thread Information