Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona History

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Arizona History

I don't know if anyone's near my neck of the woods here in Arizona, but I found these links tonight. I thought they were fascinating reading. There's still a lot of mining going on in the Globe/Miami vicinity and even more old mines and mining camps scattered throughout the area.
    I still marvel at the scope of information that's available on the internet. So much to see, so little time!!

Last edited by LauraA; 08-02-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Thumbs up Arizona History

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA
    I don't know if anyone's near my neck of the woods here in Arizona, but I found these links tonight. I thought they were fascinating reading. There's still a lot of mining going on in the Globe/Miami vicinity and even more old mines and mining camps scattered throughout the area.
    I still marvel at the scope of information that's available on the internet. So much to see, so little time!!

Great web-sites
    Thanks.

Johnnie & Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    The last few months I've been wandering into Arizona points of interest north and west of Phoenix and up as far as the Grand Canyon and west to the Colorado River. Truly amazing how much is out there.

I'm wondering though, I never remember to ask while I'm there; How did Prescott get its name?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Here you go:

Prescott was founded in 1864, incorporated into Arizona in 1881 . Named for William Hickling Prescott, a noted historian

and this according to "Arizona Place Names" by Will C. Barnes:
    The name Prescott was selected at a public meeting on May 30, 1864. Sugested by Secretary of Territory, McCormick, in honor of the historian. Was the capital until November 1, 1867, when it was moved to Tucson. Later on taken back to Prescott. In January, 1899, was moved to Phoenix. Has at time been called Granite, Gimlettvilee, and Goodwin City. McClintock says: "The official records in State Adjutant General's office show that J. Ross Browne, the writer, was appointed a Captain in the First Arizona Volunteers from 'Prescott, Socorro County, New Mexico'".
    Judge Wells says the first Apache attack on Prescott was March 16, 1864, when Joseph Cosgrave was killed while herding stock, almost in the town itself. Post Office established May 18, 1865, Calvin White Post Master." Barnes, Will C. Arizona Place Names University of Arizona Press. 1997.
    pp. 347-348

What have you been seeing in your Arizona wanderings?

Any info this local 'Prescott, Socorro County, New Mexico'?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Any info this local 'Prescott, Socorro County, New Mexico'?
    Dirk, I don't find information doing searches through regular means that would be useful to you. My books cover mostly Arizona.
    Perhaps some fellow GTers who know New Mexico can help. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Here you go:

Prescott was founded in 1864, incorporated into Arizona in 1881 . Named for William Hickling Prescott, a noted historian

and this according to "Arizona Place Names" by Will C. Barnes:
    The name Prescott was selected at a public meeting on May 30, 1864. Sugested by Secretary of Territory, McCormick, in honor of the historian. Was the capital until November 1, 1867, when it was moved to Tucson. Later on taken back to Prescott. In January, 1899, was moved to Phoenix. Has at time been called Granite, Gimlettvilee, and Goodwin City. McClintock says: "The official records in State Adjutant General's office show that J. Ross Browne, the writer, was appointed a Captain in the First Arizona Volunteers from 'Prescott, Socorro County, New Mexico'".
    Judge Wells says the first Apache attack on Prescott was March 16, 1864, when Joseph Cosgrave was killed while herding stock, almost in the town itself. Post Office established May 18, 1865, Calvin White Post Master." Barnes, Will C. Arizona Place Names University of Arizona Press. 1997.
    pp. 347-348

What have you been seeing in your Arizona wanderings?
    Hi Laura. Have to respond quick I guess. Forum blew off a long response yesterday and came up "too busy."

Quick list of places I visited in July.

Phoenix *
    Jerome
    Sedonna *
    Wupatki
    Grand Canyon *
    Kingman *
    Nothing
    Wikenburg *
    Parker

* Stayed two nights or more.

Nice. Will be back in November/December.

Great stuff out there.

gottago.

Thanks on Prescott!

I've gotten that "Server Busy" message before too. I find it easier to type what I want into an email, then copy and paste it to the forum. That way if the server is too busy, you can send the email to yourself and try to post again later, so all that typing isn't lost.

I find that if I take too long to reply I'm usually saying too much anyhow.

I found Wickenburg fascinating and wish I could have spent more time there. It was so hot and quite a bit of the local attractions (Vulture Mine, Hassayampa River Reserve, etc.) were shut down. I'd like to spend some more time in the area to check out the history. Maybe this winter.

I like Kingman too. I've been studying the Hualapai and looks like I'll be getting learning more about the Yavapai.

Sounds good, be sure to keep us posted on your GT travels.There are supposed to be a lot of good old mining sites and GTs around the Kingman area. We tried seeing a some of them a few years ago, but wound up snowed in instead and having to watch fuzzy TV in a roach motel for two days instead. There were no other rooms available, so if you go in winter, monitor the weather reports.

Thread Information