Thread: Broken Hills Nevada

Default Broken Hills Nevada

I am researching a town that was in existance between 1913 to 1935ish
    called Broken Hills Nv. It was located somewhere East of Fallon by approx.63 miles. Its money maker was the Quartz Mountain Mine. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Like directions or just general info? I can help with directions, but not general info. Maybe Bob might have something handy. Have you tried talking with Shawn Hall ? I see he pics on his site of the place, but no info.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

**** you, you got my curiosity up!

http://www.cultimedia.ch/ghosttowns/...rokenhills.htm

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/brokenhills.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~ghosttown...tm#_Toc2132777

Go here and at the bottom left there is an "other links" category. Click on "mining district files" and enter "mineral" in the county and "broken hills" in the title and do a search. Comes up with numerous links for your reading enjoyment. Be sure to have a full Slurpee.

http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/sales/pbs.htm

Thanks Gary,

all those links contained plenty of photos. I had just finished reading
    "Mining Camp Days" by Emil W. Billeb. in one of the chapters he tells about his experiences in Broken Hills when he arrived in 1926. lots of old photos. Quite a camp, main street had about 10 structures and there were plenty of cabins and tent cabins.

Very good book covering history and personal experiences in Tonopah, Bodie, Aurora, Bridgeport, Hawthorne, Lundy, Masonic, Benton, Thorne, Mono Mills, Sodaville and Goldfield. well worth the $14.00
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Smile Broken Hills

Head east out of Fallon on hiway 50 for about 45 miles to state rte. 361 which runs south starting at the old Middlegate Staion and heads on down through Gabbs. Take this paved two lane road for about 12-13 miles until you see the sign that says Broken Hills, Quartz Mtn. Can't miss it. This is an umpaved dirt road that is quite sandy when you first leave the pavement. so don't bog down there, or you will get stiuck with a 2 wheel drive vehicle. It's only a few miles to Broken Hills and there isn't much there. There wasn't much there on my first visit in 1955 either. The gravesite used to have a marker inside saying "here lies Matt the desert rat". That site is between Broken Hills and Quartz Mtn. Quarts Mtn. is where the picture of the headframe for the San Carlos Mine sits. Hope this helps
    fred
    Last edited by Fred Rovetti; 08-26-2006 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Drifter View Post
    I am researching a town that was in existance between 1913 to 1935ish
    called Broken Hills Nv. It was located somewhere East of Fallon by approx.63 miles. Its money maker was the Quartz Mountain Mine. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

My grandfather, M. C. Stromer, owned the store in Broken Hills during the depression. He is mentioned in Nell Murbarger's "Ghosts of the Glory Trail." My grandmother, Etta Stromer, taught school in the one-room school there sporadically from the early 1920's and up to about 1944. I lived there between 1944-45 when my father was in the Army.

One of the things I distinctly remember about Broken Hills was that during a full moon the light was surprisingly bright. Also, when you looked up the sky the whole milky way was very visible like a band of stars across the sky. As a small boy I remember maybe six or eight buildings still there including a couple of outhouses. The store my grandfather ran was all knocked down and broken up for firewood. It was actually a single large front room with another room in back. I'm guessing the building was about 20 ft. wide by 30-35 ft. deep.

My grandfather was the last person to live there. I was there for a month or so in 1951 and there was an elderly couple and a single woman still there besides my grandfather. My father visited the location in the late 1960s and there was nothing left. Most of the wood from the buildings was even gone. There was debris showing human habitation in the past, however. The mine my grandfather had, which he called "The Badger," was still there as big hole in the ground. The wrought iron fence around Matt Costello's grave had been stolen (I remember seeing it as a boy).

Mom said when she was a little girl there were about a hundred people living there. Before she died I showed my mother the 1930 U. S. Census for Broken Hills and she knew everyone in it. I think there were something like 17 people listed. My grandmother died in 1948, my grandfather in 1956 and my mother in 2005.

Laird Wilcox (lwilcox3@aol.com) 29 July 2012

Thread Information