Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to basics

Default Back to basics

Hello All

Was wondering if you more lets say seasoned GT and History researchers could give some basic direction on how to do research where to get basic information and to get that info in steps (example)

1.) get area coordinates (where is it)

2.) go to the historical society of the state the site is in? county records office?

something in this format (step by step) so us lets say less seasoned individuals have a process in wich we can do research . A place to start and a process to continue research. Thanks
    Jeff

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Commence your in depth research on this site. Learn to navigate this site (which should be okay for most anybody, 'less they're lazy) and move on from there. You can, if you wish, directly contact anybody who regularly posts here. That individual can contact you back, or not. OJ

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Jeff, I may not be as seasoned as some of the other folks here (salty may be more like it) but I find researching on the internet to be the easiest place to begin. Coordinates are usually found on most any good mapping site. Historical societies and often, the county recorder's offices will have the information you're looking for on their web sites. Minimally, they'll have contact names and phone numbers online, saving you the 411 calls. College and university libraries also have comprehensive information, some portions of which, can be accessed online and if not, they too will post contact information online.
    For mining information, I don't know if other states have this, but Arizona has a Department of Mines and Minerals, staffed by very helpful folks and an abundance of information to either peruse in person, or some can even be ordered online (ie: maps and such)
    In my opinion, getting there is only half the fun, doing the research and documentation is the other half.

Quote Originally Posted by jbodine View Post
    Hello All

Was wondering if you more lets say seasoned GT and History researchers could give some basic direction on how to do research where to get basic information and to get that info in steps (example)

1.) get area coordinates (where is it)

2.) go to the historical society of the state the site is in? county records office?

something in this format (step by step) so us lets say less seasoned individuals have a process in wich we can do research . A place to start and a process to continue research. Thanks

My observation is that there is only so much you can do on the net and each case is different and you can always learn more so you need to where you want to go or know when you have learned enough. County records, historical societies, pouring through old newspapers on microfilm imply a lot of research and a lot of time.

I will give you an idea of a couple towns in Lincoln County Nevada. The both had a post office so I know when they heyday was.

The first is Oneota.

I go to http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispub...22421119033179

and type in Oneota after selecting Nevada, Post Office, and Lincoln County

I get:

Feature ID: 864928
    Name: Oneota Post Office (historical)
    Class: Post Office
    History: PO Jul 1909-Apr 1912
    Citation: Gamett, James, and Paher, Stanley W. Nevada Post Offices. Las Vegas: Nevada Publications, 1983, 176 pp. Discusses historical background of Nevada post offices. p100
    Entry Date: 01-Jul-1991
    Elevation(ft/m): 5036/1535

and using populated place I get:

Feature ID: 857510
    Name: Oneota (historical)
    Class: Populated Place
    Description: approx coordinates
    Citation: 'Nevada': National Map Company, Indianapolis, Indiana, no date (map states it uses data from the 1920 census, and the acquisition data by the Nevada Historical Society was 1923). Full color map showing railroads, mountains, roads, communities, and springs, at scale of 1 inch=11 miles.
    Entry Date: 01-May-1990
    Elevation(ft/m): 5036/1535

I also get some Lat/Long Data.

Next thing I do is armed with my trusty GPS see if you can access the USGS location given. If your lucky it isn't on a restricted area. Try going to Groom these days If your lucky it isn't too much of a hike. If your lucky it is where USGS says it is. I was kinda lucky, it wasn't in a restricted area and it wasn't that much of a hike BUT it wasn't where USGS said. Back to the drawing board so to speak.

Looking at old maps I didn't find any of the scale to place the townb any closer. Looking at aerial photography and older topographic maps I get a couple possible locations.

Armed with my maps a nd possible locationsI return to the area and the third place I look I find an old corral, a blown down building, a root celler, and a dang dam with no water around it. Perhaps I might have the location. Take pictures, get a new GPS location and back to research.

Checking old weather reports suggest that there was a lot more water coming out of the mountains to the west. The name of the nearest feature "Water Gap" suggests I'm on the on the correct trail.

If I didn't have a 9 to 5 job, I could easily take some time to research the various Nevada Newspaers of th=at era but that would take several weeks. I put it on hold and decide I have "learned enough for now."

Let's look at another:

Again I go to USGS and find this Under Populated Place

Feature ID: 851192
    Name: Karo (historical)
    Class: Populated Place
    Description: approx coordinates
    Citation: 'Nevada': National Map Company, Indianapolis, Indiana, no date (map states it uses data from the 1920 census, and the acquisition data by the Nevada Historical Society was 1923). Full color map showing railroads, mountains, roads, communities, and springs, at scale of 1 inch=11 miles.
    Entry Date: 01-May-1990
    Elevation(ft/m): 7861/2396

and this under Post Office:

Feature ID: 864953
    Name: Karo Post Office (historical)
    Class: Post Office
    History: PO Mar 1917-Aug 1918
    Description: approx loc, 15 mi NE of Pioche
    Citation: Gamett, James, and Paher, Stanley W. Nevada Post Offices. Las Vegas: Nevada Publications, 1983, 176 pp. Discusses historical background of Nevada post offices. p82
    Entry Date: 01-Sep-1991
    Elevation(ft/m): 7861/2396

I go to the location but really don't believe it and I'm correct, there ain't nothing there. I find a couple maps of the area and place it somewhere in Camp Valley about 10 miles from where USGS says it was.

I've yet to find it, I'm still lookjing for another community in the same area. I've talked to all the third and fourth generation people around there. Since it was active during the Great War (WWI) I suspect it might have a mining background but searching various mining documents does not reveal anything. My first missing town in the area was a post Mountain Meadows Massacre community discovered and documented by Lt. Wheeler in an 1860s survey, they called that town Homer. I suspect if Karo isn't a mining origin it may be a Mormon farming community, perhaps on the same location as Homer BUT I ain't found it yet. I'm still looking.

I hope you have better success than me but till then I keep reading Old Maps, Old reports, Census Data, Old Newspaers, County records, tax records, Church records and as I get money, buy different things I can't access without flying somewhere. As an example, in my quest to learn more about the two places above, I just ordered (Will have them in a month three rollls of Microfilm on Post Orffice Applications, Post Office appointments, etc. for Nevada. It ain't cheap, the cost $195.00 but if I get a clue about these places and other places I'm still seeking it will be worth it!
    Yet Another Bob

Awesome organizational skills, Bob! Where do you find church records? For a while, I subscribed to ancestry.com, and they had a lot of census info that set me off in different directions- some of which was fruitful, some just dead ended.
    Made me a better researcher, if nothing else. Also, where did you find the P.O. Microfiche?

Goat

Default Hi Goat

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    Awesome organizational skills, Bob! Where do you find church records? For a while, I subscribed to ancestry.com, and they had a lot of census info that set me off in different directions- some of which was fruitful, some just dead ended.
    Made me a better researcher, if nothing else. Also, where did you find the P.O. Microfiche?

Goat
    Lots of the church records I'd like to get my eyes on I can't (Like after the Mountain Meadows Fiasco when lots of people moved to eastern Nevada) but lots have been written in somewhat obscure history of the church books. For non LDS stuff, they are parish and congregation records, baptismal stuff which is more useful for genology

The post office stuff I purchased roll 80

http://www.archives.gov/research/pos...1832-1971.html

and roll 370 and 371

http://www.archives.gov/research/pos...1837-1950.html

from the National Archives. The Library of Congress and the National Archives are great places to lose yourself in when youi have a few extra minutes.
    Yet Another Bob

Bob - Wow, nice links, and thank's for the write up too!! I too will be putting the info. you posted to use.

Who currently owns the land around the areas you seek? If you have it nailed down to the county, couldn't you take a look who bought and sold the land? Or even just some claims in the area and time frame? Taxes had to be paid, and if all else fails, you could track the family(s) and ask them some questions. Or is that what you did when you said that you talked to the third and fourth generation? But now that I think about, the earlyest censis info. released to the public would have to be around the 1920's or 1930's, but I'm not sure how they keep records of sale or if they even kept/keep that info.

Well I hope I was some sort of help!
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy0621 View Post
    Bob - Wow, nice links, and thank's for the write up too!! I too will be putting the info. you posted to use.

Who currently owns the land around the areas you seek? If you have it nailed down to the county, couldn't you take a look who bought and sold the land? Or even just some claims in the area and time frame? Taxes had to be paid, and if all else fails, you could track the family(s) and ask them some questions. Or is that what you did when you said that you talked to the third and fourth generation? But now that I think about, the earlyest censis info. released to the public would have to be around the 1920's or 1930's, but I'm not sure how they keep records of sale or if they even kept/keep that info.
    The BLM currently administers the land around Oneota. Land surveys of that era are inaccurate. A description would be a mill site, store, bar, at Oneota and if your lucky they would note it was near Water Gap. None of these lands were ever patented.

If Karo is a later day reincarnation of Homer I suspect records are almost non-existent. I'm sure no one in Homer wanted to be found. I can just see the little Mormon Settlement, hid away at least 50 miles from any known place and one day a detachment of Army Surveyors, complete with wagons shows up. One source would be Department of Interior Records (some of which might be in Reno but I am 500 miles away and work that 9 to 5 M-F when access would be available. I am an avocational historian, would love it if I had time and the money to peruse records in far away places. There is no indication that any land at Karo or Homer was ever patented.

Census data is useful in larger communities because it provides you a spectrum of inhabitants (Are they wives and kids or just miners, saloon keepers and prostitutes) You have to remember that while the LDS church renounced Polygamy (Some say so Utah could get Statehood) that change didnít happen overnight and there is a bunch of misdirection and inaccuracies in the Census data of that era. The question of paying taxes to Nevada is a sore subject and several of the former Harmony, UT residents and their shadow communities just packed up and moved on when discovered or the tax collector came around. There appear nothing in the 1910 or 1920 census of Karo (One of the reasons I wondered if it were a WWI mining operation). Other than Lt. Wheelers accurate description, I have found nothing on Homer. There were no wives and kids in Oneota

You really have to do your homework to understand what you donít have as much as what you can locate :_
    Yet Another Bob

No kidding about the homework!!!
    Andy

Default Homer

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy0621 View Post
    No kidding about the homework!!!

Andy

I couldn't easily find the description of full Homer included in Lt. Wheelers Journal but thought you might enjoy this brief description.

http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/...image;seq=0013

If the late Juanita Brooks was still around I'm sure could fill in some more details. In the Wheeler Journals, they continue down Spring Valley two days then have to take their wagons up around a hill because the deep water. I have determined that was what today we call Eagle Valley Reservoir and have tried to work back two days. I'm sure the answers are at the National Archives or Library of Congress in additional Notes not publishede. The story of Homer would make an interesting article but I fear most of the history has been lost.
    Yet Another Bob

Thread Information