Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yewed Oklahoma?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Yewed Oklahoma?

A friend of mine was saying that in the late 1800s part of her family lived in Yewed, Oklahoma where they ran a grainary and general store. I've looked around on the web for some information to print out for her, but have only been able to find out that Yewed, OK was named after Admiral George Dewey (Yewed is Dewey spelled backwards) I don't think the town still exists, although I'm not sure. My friend is 91 years old and I know she would get a kick out of some history if I was able to find it for her. She said that she recalls having been there as a youngster in about 1923.
    Old Judge, or anyone, would you happen to know anything about Yewed?
    Last edited by LauraA; 09-02-2006 at 08:27 AM.

If anybody can shed light on this, I'd bet it is OJ...........

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'm hoping so.
    The neat thing about the lady I'm trying to find the information for is that she's doing her best to compile a history to leave for her family. She's got some great original geneology records and a slew of identified old photographs. Not having family myself, I can appreciate someone trying to connect with their roots.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Cool yewed

Can't tell you too much about Yewed. Never been there, but have read about it. Could act like I know more, but suggest instead you Google "Okie Legacy Yewed" or "Okielegacy Yewed". OJ

Thumbs up

Thanks OJ, I was able to find more information by following your lead and searching OkieLegacy - Alfalfa County and also found it interesting that this article OkieLegacy - Yewed Oklahoma. mentions a grain dealer, quite possibly the "grainary" my friend said that her family had. I found a cemetery in Alfalfa County with a gravestone bearing the name Violet Blain, my friend's name is Viola her maiden name is Blain, so it looks like there may be a connection there as well. I've printed out a lot of information and I'm sure she'll be excited to read what I've found.
    Last edited by LauraA; 09-02-2006 at 02:57 PM.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Glad to be of assistance. OJ

I can't let such a good deed go unnoticed. Thank you NWNative for the great links and wonderful information you sent me! I'm printing everything out and will give it all to Viola tomorrow.

Default I lived there in the late 1940's

This is really quite interesting as I just happened onto this web site by accident. I lived in Yewed, OK, from age 1 in 1946 to age 4 in 1950. My father, Phil Payne, was the Santa Fe depot agent/telegrapher. I actually recall some of the events there. We lived in a farm house owned by the McCraty (sp?) family who were wheat farmers. I can remember a tornado when I was 3 or 4 which came through and our family tried the back door to go to the cellar. It seems to me that it was hard to open till a window broke and the suction from the storm gave way so we could open the door and enter the cellar which, as I recall, was directly behind the house. Our house did not have running water and we used a cistern to get our water for drinking, cooking, and bathing. My sister, Betty, was 13 years older than I was and went to the school at Lambert where she played on the girl's basketball team. When my father bid on a position in Attica, Kansas, for the relief depot operator there in 1950, he was replaced by Frosty Reynolds as the new depot agent in Yewed. As this was during my sister's senior year of high school, my parents allowed her to stay with the Reynolds family to finish out her high school at Lambert. I can remember walking to the depot so our house must have been fairly close. I can also remember our family owned a milk cow, I believe it was a Jersey, which my father milked morning and evening. I also remember bathing in a washtub with water from the cistern and heated on the kitchen stove.

One of the things that facinates me about this forum is when people happen on a thread, in this case five years later and add additional personal information. I suppose over time we could generate quite a history of some places for at least some of the towns that have disappeared.

Sounds like this town was a RR siding, or a small yard when steam was still a mainstay on American railroads.

If anyone is interested in pictures of the town, a few can be found here on Flickr.

It seems to have at least hosted a church, and amazingly, the depot still stands. Kind of neat to see.
    Easily distracted.

Current distraction: Railroad Depots

Thread Information