Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a GT trip to Co

Default Planning a GT trip to Co

Greeting's all, I hope this isn't a perpetual repeat question, but I'm asking for some assistance on planning a ghost town trip to Colorado next summer (2007). We're from mid farm country KS, when I was a boy my father took our family somewhere around the Pike's Peak area where we rented a Range Rover (sweet) and we planned to ascend Pikes Peak, when at the last second my dad found a map of some ghost towns, so we spent the day exploring those. What fun it was, but I was very young. I would love to treat my dad to that same sort of adventure before Father Time slips in. I've purchased a book "Ghost Towns of Colorado (Pictorial Discovery Guide)" detailing many interesting ghost towns, but I'm still at a loss. Here's what I'm hoping to find: Several (3-4, maybe more) ghost towns that are rather remote, i.e. not in current restoration, that we could spend a day or two exploring, taking pictures, and reminiscing. Afterwords I promised my wife I'd take her white water rafting, so if the ghost towns were close to something of that nature, that would be a bonus for me . I believe we'd spend a week or more in Co tent camping, but or course my parents would have their 28ft fifth wheel, that I refuse to sleep in cuz I'm a "real" ourdoorsman,(or until I get too old to sleep in a tent). I hope I'm not being to pushy on asking for help here, any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Talking

Pardner: While you wait with bated breath for some expert insight to Colorado GTin', I'd do some shoppin' at Rocky's place, www.rockymountainprofiles.com Then I'd like google "Colorado White Water Rafting" , and start putting Two and Two together. Lots of info on this site and in the stuff you already have. OJ

K, thanks for the website. I'm working on the white water rafting part, but kind of waiting on that till I figure out what region of CO we'll be headed too. Thanks again!
    It takes a Mule to Slaughter a Mt. Lion

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
    Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

By the way, welcome and Semper Fi from an old Corpsman. OJ

Quote Originally Posted by old judge View Post
    By the way, welcome and Semper Fi from an old Corpsman. OJ
    Thank God for Corpsman, and thank you for taking care of our sorry asses..lol! Semper Fi, and thanks for the welcome

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hey MM, your link in your signature is wacky, thought I'd let you know.

Plus, do you know the real story behind those pics? I do, but not many others don't as they have only heard the urban legend.

BTW: Rocky (site OJ directed you to) comes on here time to time, but you'd be best to email him direct as he's likely the most informed person on Colorado around here. Give him a chance to respond, he tends to go out and wonder from time to time
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Plus, do you know the real story behind those pics? I do, but not many others don't as they have only heard the urban legend.
    Is that the legend about the mule that circulated the internet a few years ago? Seems to me I read the mountain lion was already dead when the mule took a real dislike to him.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Dat be da one.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post

BTW: Rocky (site OJ directed you to) comes on here time to time, but you'd be best to email him direct as he's likely the most informed person on Colorado around here. Give him a chance to respond, he tends to go out and wonder from time to time
    Thanks for the info to Rocky. BTW, I don't know the real story behind the Mule, my nickname while in the Marine Corps was "Mule", maybe because I toted the machinegun, and radio from time-to-time, or maybe cuz I was hard headed??? I like to think it's because I could hump a load. The nickname has followed me since my glory days, and now it's pretty common for me to be referred to as "the Mule". Either way, if you know the real story fill me in, I've tried to research the link to several different sites, each one cannot confirm nor deny the reality of whether the Lion was DOA, or if the Mule commited homicide!

*EDIT* Just followed the link in my sig, have no idea what that site was, must have entered it in wrong, fixed now!
    Last edited by MuleMarine; 09-20-2006 at 08:03 AM.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Being the eternal pessimist, I tend to think the mountain lion was already dead when the mule decided to play with the corpse.(the lion's body looks a bit stiff in a couple of the pictures)
    Although, I do think a mule, being of strong body and sound mind, could probably kick some mountain lion butt if he wanted to.
    To be nicknamed "Mule" is probably a compliment.

Last edited by LauraA; 09-20-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Thread Information