Thread: Ghost Town INFO Needed-Franconia N.H.

Question Ghost Town INFO Needed-Franconia N.H.

To Whom this May Concern

I am trying to locate information about a now ghost town located north of the Franconia Notch in the state of New Hampshire. The town would be located just north of Cannon Mountain. The Town of Franconia is located to the west. The ghost town may have been razed due to construction of new highway (Interstate 93 and Route 3... I think). The town was located approximately 1 1/2 miles north of the OLD MAN IN THE MOUNTAIN. I believe the town existed around the 1840's to 1850's. A railroad ran very near the town. The town was supposedly built for a copper mining colony. I believe they stripped or pit mined the copper. The town was supposedly engineered just for an unknown mining company. The town was abandoned, I think in the 1850's. The copper mining site was located on Big Bickford Mountain and/ or Scarface Mountain. The name of the town and the mining company is unknown. The village contained somewhere the number of 100-150 buildings. I may be wrong on the number of buildings. Supposedly the town was occupied by European immigrants that worked for the copper mining company. A tram was supposedly located nearby to transport ore to the Connecticut River. A river or small stream is located nearby. The village was located about 1-2 miles from the mines.

If you know of any source that can help in this matter I would be very appreciative. Feel free to contact me at anytime and to distribute my contact information. If you need more information I will attempt with what little else I have.

Thanks for your time.....

Alton (Tony) Butkewich
    3608 Turner Drive
    Endwell
    New York
    607-761-8588 cell
    607-754-7277 home
    607-341-5645 work cell

E-mail:
    radiowx3u@aol.com
    alton.butkewich@marchuskabrothers.com

Exclamation Reply Ghost Town

test to see if i can recieve this reply

try the NH dept. of transportation. www.state.nh.us i believe you are correct in the assumption that it was torn down for the highway. i used to live in Nashua and went hunting/fishing in that area quite often. if you have lived in NH for any length of time you should know they do not like to presurve anything. if its in the way of a road or mini-mall it's gone. hope this helps. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bavarialand View Post
    try the NH dept. of transportation. www.state.nh.us i believe you are correct in the assumption that it was torn down for the highway. i used to live in Nashua and went hunting/fishing in that area quite often. if you have lived in NH for any length of time you should know they do not like to presurve anything. if its in the way of a road or mini-mall it's gone. hope this helps. Dave
    Thanks for the advise on contacting the NH government page. Awaiting some or any answers.

Tony

Default Franconia Notch

There is of course a famous natural feature called Franconia Notch and a NH state park by that name. The Notch is a 6 mile long mountain pass and Cannon Mtn makes up the West side of the Notch. In the 19th and early 20th centuries there were a number of tourist hotels in the area of the notch, the best known being "Profile House". If you do some web searches for "profile house" and "New Hampshire" you will get a number of hits. These hotels were built there because the notch area is very scenic. Tiny developments sprung up around the hotels, but I can find no evidence of a town called Franconia Notch on any old atlas I have, nor in the 1874 New Hampshire Gazatteer. I believe people just referred to the general area of Profile House and Flume House as "Franconia Notch" or just "The Notch".
    The Profile House burned down in 1923 and wasn't rebuilt, and a tourist center was built in the same general spot in 1986, so there may not be much of the old hotels left.

I remember reading about that town in a book in my local library. The title may have been something like 'New England Ghost Stories'.

I'm in the process of putting my old map collection on line and I have some detailed maps of the Franconia area. I also have links to older NH topo maps on my site:

http://menotomymaps.com/

Default Sorry i could not help more

I had just talked to the originator of the post. Nice chat, sorry i could not be of further help.

yes...the story is in the book "Mysteries of New England" published by Yankee Magazine. The story title is "Ghost Town" by George Albert Waldo. I have located the town...just can not find much information.

Thread Information